• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RL15 for .308

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    Has anyone used RL15 with 168? What kind of velocity and at what grain? Also any data for the 175gr?

43.1 gr yields me 2650 fps with a Sierra 175 MK in a 24" Krieger 4 groove barrel with a 95 Palma chamber.

RL15 42.5 gr with 168gr SMK at 2.800 gets me 2593 fps
    RL15 43.0 gr with 175gr SMK at 2.800 gets me 2645 fps

Both loads are from my 700P with a 26" barrel

RL15 44gr with 175gr SMK at 2.800" gives me 2526 fps (20" barrel Rem 700 SPS Tactical) - Have shot this out to 1300 yds on reactive targets
    RL15 43gr with 168gr SMK at 2.800" gives me 2520 fps ( as above)
    Both loads in Lapua brass - no pressure signs and easy bolt unlock post firing.

My shooting buddy uses RL15 43gr with 175gr SMK at 2.800" which gives him 2580 fps (Rem 700 SPS Varmint think its 26" barrel)

Last edited:
    308 Winchester- 43.5 RE-15, 168 A MAX, Wolf LRP, Hornady brass, 2758 FPS AVG, SD-12, ES-34, COL 2.790". 24" Hart 1/12" Barrel. Accurate load.

Thanks guys. I am trying to get as close to FGMM 168 gr as possible for training. I will work up a more accurate load at a later date. The rifle is a trued rem 700 with a 24" Douglas premium air gauge barrel in a McRee stock. If I remember right it is a 1:11.5 twist. This was my bench gun and now my primary training rifle and is capable of sub 1/8 groups. Also will be training with 175 gr SMK. The information, so far, has been a great help on were to get started.

There is a thread on here about using imr 4064 to duplicate the FGMM load.

Can you point me to the right thread. I looked but was unable to find it. More than likely i am looking over it. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I am trying to get as close to FGMM 168 gr as possible for training. I will work up a more accurate load at a later date. The rifle is a trued rem 700 with a 24" Douglas premium air gauge barrel in a McRee stock. If I remember right it is a 1:11.5 twist. This was my bench gun and now my primary training rifle and is capable of sub 1/8 groups. Also will be training with 175 gr SMK. The information, so far, has been a great help on were to get started.

Why duplicate the FGMM load? I know it sounds good in theory, but if you are loading your own ammo, why not make the most of it?

Why duplicate the FGMM load? I know it sounds good in theory, but if you are loading your own ammo, why not make the most of it?

In law enforcement you can only use factory ammo. So if I can reload to match the factory spec I can do a lot more shooting and then switch back to the factory ammo when the time is needed.

I would ask the questions that was asked already. Why try to duplicate a load that can be improved on. If you duplicate velocity, that might not mean you get the same accuracy either.

155 grainers are better than most bullets up to the 185 and will shoot flatter than the 168 to......Forever.

Why try to duplicate a load that can be improved on. If you duplicate velocity, that might not mean you get the same accuracy either.

Interestingly, your answer is found in the post immediately preceding yours.

what is also interesting is that Xtreme has a post with a time stamp that precedes the answer you refer to... meaning that answer may not have been visible when he made his now redundant post...

So long as I can stay under, hopefully, 1" I will be happy and that is my primary goal. And to get in a lot more shooting in, which I will have to pay for my self. Small department not a big budget for ammo.