• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Rnvg VS dtnvg

westcoasteast

Lost and confused
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
Anyone what experience they care to share with either or both. Trying to decide if the dtnvg are rugged enough I should worry about rnvg, or if the added durability is worth giving up the ability to push one of way and use as a single tube etc. If you don’t think that feature is something I would miss chime in too

The ability to attach a supplemental battery pack was the deciding factor that tipped me towards the RNVG.

You can do that with the DTNVG's now too.

Reactions: westcoasteast
You can do that with the DTNVG's now too.

The ability to attach a supplemental battery pack was the deciding factor that tipped me towards the RNVG.

well back to square one lol, any other inputs on which you prefer?

Durability of the rnvg was more appealing for me. If I’m spending the amount required to get into duals they better be bombproof. Articulation is nice, but it’s pretty easy to use a Wilcox or just look under the goggle.

Durability of the rnvg was more appealing for me. If I’m spending the amount required to get into duals they better be bombproof. Articulation is nice, but it’s pretty easy to use a Wilcox or just look under the goggle.

that’s my initial thought. But I also wondered if I would ever need one eye to navigate, another shoot off hand or look through a scope with a pvs 27 Or thermal attached

Reactions: StihlTech
Not specific to either/or: I have a couple sets of duals, both articulating. Not once have I ever run them with one down and the other flipped up to the side. I’m either using both eyeballs through NV or non-NV.

The only time they are stowed is to give maximum clearance for when I’m getting behind a rifle looking through thermal.

I’m a hunter first and foremost; your mileage may very.

I am struggling with this exact same issue at the moment except I have thrown the Mod 3 into the mix as well. Following closely. FYI, Surgeon Shooter has been fantastic abt answering my million newb questions on NV.

So, was debating this as well to include considering mod 3s and just pulled trigger yesterday on some dtnvgs....so ask me again in a few weeks if I made the right decision! I was mainly between the mod 3 and dts. I loved the idea of being able to split, run separate, loan out during hunt and in the end I decided that if I’m spending that much on a pair of beautifully matched high dollar tubes I wouldn’t want to split them up first chance I get lol. I would much rather buy another 14 even (maybe an echo or something) to loan, buddy use etc. As far as the articulation etc, I run a patrol on a dual bride and often find myself rotating up and out of way to use a scoped rifle etc. While this could be done with rn’s or mod3 etc I like being able to have the most flexibility possible and was afraid I’d get into a box where they had to be basically in use, or stowed for transport. I feel like the DTs give you that extra flexibility. After a whole lot of YouTube reviews I realized almost everyone who bought the DTs said they exclusively go to those every time because they are so convenient.

Brown,

realistically, under what circumstances would you use just one eye/tube or how important is that feature? That probably is a deciding factor.
RNVG’s save about $1,200 (TNVC pricing both units with white phosphor). That probably is not a deciding factor, but a nice chunk to step up from a DBAL towards a MAWL-C1, nice helmet, class, or just more ammo - or savings in the bank too.
Both units have lots of positive online reviews. There are a couple of posts that caught my attention on durability.

Here is an interesting discussion comparing models:

So, was debating this as well to include considering mod 3s and just pulled trigger yesterday on some dtnvgs....so ask me again in a few weeks if I made the right decision! I was mainly between the mod 3 and dts. I loved the idea of being able to split, run separate, loan out during hunt and in the end I decided that if I’m spending that much on a pair of beautifully matched high dollar tubes I wouldn’t want to split them up first chance I get lol. I would much rather buy another 14 even (maybe an echo or something) to loan, buddy use etc. As far as the articulation etc, I run a patrol on a dual bride and often find myself rotating up and out of way to use a scoped rifle etc. While this could be done with rn’s or mod3 etc I like being able to have the most flexibility possible and was afraid I’d get into a box where they had to be basically in use, or stowed for transport. I feel like the DTs give you that extra flexibility. After a whole lot of YouTube reviews I realized almost everyone who bought the DTs said they exclusively go to those every time because they are so convenient.

It's been more than a few weeks, did you make the right choice, or do you have any second thoughts?

It's been more than a few weeks, did you make the right choice, or do you have any second thoughts?
I love the duals. They’re lightweight, I like how much they articulate and obvious quality from TNVC is great as well. No regrets. I have noticed some pretty good deals at night goggles and NVD on some “lesser” tubes that I imagine would still be great. If I had to choose between some 6k duals plus a 14 vs just some premium L3 duals I think I’d go cheaper duals and the 14. I didn’t have to make that choice, got the TNVC duals plus a 14 lol. I use that 14 as much as friends do. It’s more convenient for quick trips out etc. However, I’d spend the amount I did at TNVC without thinking twice. They’re spectacular

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHorta
I have rnvgs. I use them primarily for night hunting. When they are ran in conjunction with thermal handheld scanners, weapon mounted NV, or thermal ....the lack of articulation is a real pain. I wish i would have coughed up the extra for the DTNVG (dtnvs wasnt available) when i purchased my RNVGS.

You may want to take a look at nocturn industries katana. It could get you in the price range of the RNVG but give you the articulation you want.

Cheers.

Reactions: JOThompson