• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Robert Gradous

HolyCity73

Not impressed
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
South Carolina
To all friends, customers and members at large. Today, we lost our friend Robert Gradous.
he is now at peace.

any prayers, kind wishes or other condolences may be forwarded from this post.

If anyone has any outstanding work by Robert, Jon Slagle will be his point of contact. Message me privately if you need his information.

I will always love and miss my friend.
Jason

What ?!?!?

That is terrible news, Robert Gradous was a hidden gem in this industry

His effort behind the scenes help create some great brands.

He will be missed, whenever I watched Shooter, I always compared the Old Time Conspiracy Guy in that show to Robert. He was the hidden hand In so many ways.

Truly saddened by this loss

A dear friend and mentor...I have no words for this loss, only prayers for his family and loved ones that they may find some peace for their loss and for us all to take a moment to reflect on how he touched each one of us in our shooting and in our lives. Robert will always be alive in my thoughts and prayers and I know he is finally at peace.

Robert was a friend to me after the death of my sister and two tours in Afghanistan. He'll forever be in my heart. If there's a funeral, I'm driving from the DC area and anyone is welcome to ride with me. Please send a DM.

Robert built me a tack driving rifle and his work was outstanding.May he RIP in the loving arms of the Lord.Hear is a pic of the rifle sitting on his work bench.
20171208_113004.jpg

Dang.
I only read stories and his posts on here. Struck me as a man I would like.

I suppose he might like fiddle music, so he is surely enjoying heaven and listening to Charlie Daniels play while the angels sing.

Incredibly saddened by this... I’ve had so many good memories talking to him on the phone About barrels I ordered and other life issues. He was truly a master of his craft, I will remember him for his candor and straight shooting mentality.

what stood out most to me was his mentality of fostering the training of other gunsmiths and and supporting other gunsmiths. He told me they had a forum where many of the major guys talked about issues they had with customers and how they supported each other. In business supporting your colleagues and having that mentality to do so even if it means you lose business yourself is what stood out most to me... he was truly a gentleman and an artist of what he loved to do, and I’ll always remember that.

I’m very sad to hear this news.

A few months ago I posted a WTB ad for a 28 Nosler and Robert sent me a pm asking me to call him. I was humbled he reached out to me and made the call. He mentioned he had one partially built in the shop unclaimed and he wanted to see if I would be interested.

We talked about the parts he had for the rifle a little bit but It seemed like all he really wanted to do was learn about me. When he figured out I was an emt at the time deployed to New Jersey for the Covid response everything changed.

He immediately said the rifle was getting finished ASAP and pay him whatever I could afford until it was paid off. His offer was one I couldn’t refuse and I don’t believe he would have let me refuse if I tried.

For the next 3 weeks he called me every evening to see how I was doing and if I needed anything sent up and I fully believe had I needed anything he was going to send it.

Even after the rifle was in my hands and paid for he still called atleast once a week to bullshit about life and flip me shit for not having shot it yet. I mentioned I was thinking of building a twin in 30 Nosler and he simply said “buy the barrel at my cost and get your ass down here and we will make your rifle a switch barrel free of cost”.

Sadly due to life that rifle still sits unfired in my safe, that probably needs to change soon.

He was an amazing man and I’m lucky for the time he spent with me and the friendship we formed all because I asked the question and had the time to talk.

Tonight I am diminished. RIP my friend.

Here is my Gradous 28 Nosler

Attachments

• BDF9CE84-FCFD-459F-9B33-EF6C9758D4E9.jpeg
    BDF9CE84-FCFD-459F-9B33-EF6C9758D4E9.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
What ?!?!?

That is terrible news, Robert Gradous was a hidden gem in this industry

His effort behind the scenes help create some great brands.

He will be missed, whenever I watched Shooter, I always compared the Old Time Conspiracy Guy in that show to Robert. He was the hidden hand In so many ways.

Truly saddened by this loss

One of the greatest gifts Sniper's Hide ever gave me was introducing me to Robert. I scheduled my own rifle build class with Robert after I read Lowlight's review of his class. I remember that thread so well, that I believe Frank built a 6.5CM on a Bighorn action and a AICS 1.5 chassis. Robert and I ended up building a few rifles, and a great friendship since then. Robert's quiet humility in a world full of braggarts... what a powerful example, and a good man.

I was shocked and saddened when I received this sad news last night.

My condolences and sympathy to his family and friends.

Very sad news.

Reactions: Daniel.civi.308
Shocked to hear this. Spoke to him recently and he was always willing to talk and share his thoughts. Sincerest condolences. RIP Mr. Gradous.

Reactions: Daniel.civi.308
Very sad to hear. He was a such a gentleman and always enjoyed talking to him on the phone. He rebarreled a Ruger No. 1V for me in 220 Swift and did an outstanding job and the rifle is absolutely beautiful. He had never done one before and the care he took rebuilding the rifle was special. He would call me regarding every detail and sent the rifle to D'arcy Echols to fabricate the rings mounts since he wanted it done right.

On several calls he discussed at length the health issues he was experiencing but never complained one bit. Rest in peace Robert and you will be missed and my No. 1 will know hold a special place in my collection.