• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors rock island 1911 45acp

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Anyone know the quality of this pistol reliabilty accuracy,etc.
I found one brand new at a local pawn shop for 395$Too much?
Also will this take after market parts that fit 1911 style handguns?

Re: rock island 1911 45acp

You get what you pay for. RIA is not a bad 1911 for sub a $400 gun. Depending upon what you want to do with it. I wouldnt buy it as a base and try and build a race gun, but for home defense or range work its should serve proudly. BTW, I have seen new RIA 1911's go for $395 in gun shops across the country, so your price isnt bad.

If you check around, you can get a FireStorm Deluxe for about the same money, and a better Pistol IMO. It has adjustable trigger, sights, better beavertail. But this is just my opinion.

I've had/shot. Multiple 1911s and can say the RIA are a decent rattle battle pistol. The real benefit to the RIA 1911s are that they use ALL colt platform parts unlike Firestorm (hardly uses any colt pattern parts) and even Taurus I have heard has some parts interchangeability issues.

The only issues with RIA that I have seen are the internals. The internals are cast and are prone to break easier than quality aftermarket ones.

So if you want a pistol that you don't mind changing a couple parts here and there the RIA is fine. If you need a super reliable no fuss pistol it may not be the one for you.

For a little more money than a RIA you can get a Springfield Armory A1 or a Para Ordnance GI Expert. I have heard great reviews about the GI Expert and I will pick one up someday.

Ern

The Taurus is junk, so if the fit is anything like a Taurus, I'd pass. I'd be more confident in the RIA, however, because the Filipinos love our 1911.

All parts on any 1911 should be fitted. Amazingly, no two are ever the same, even in the year 2009.

Thanks for the input fellas.The pistol will just be played around with on the back 40 and a home defense pistol.......The idea of being interchangeable with colt parts is even more attractive.The fit to finish on this pistol was pretty good for a cheaper 1911...It also didnt seem very rattily like a lot of 1911s i have handled....
Hell i thin i may buy it....

Well My Rock Island is not a $400 model but I have shot the living hell out of it. The only problem I have had was it had a hard time loading the first hollow point from the mag. Once that was fixed there have been no problems since. I think they work as well as any other 1911. I am sure others would disagree but I bet you all have seen Springfield's,Kimber's,and any other high end 1911 malfunction at some time. They are good for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHat about the springfield GI 45?
Guy here at work has one, have heard good on those - and there's one in the for sale section right now:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1438059&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

Hmm..Thats a pretty good deal.I might just have to check in to that.......Good looking out....Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Taurus is junk, so if the fit is anything like a Taurus, I'd pass. I'd be more confident in the RIA, however, because the Filipinos love our 1911.

All parts on any 1911 should be fitted. Amazingly, no two are ever the same, even in the year 2009. </div></div>

Do you have any information backing that statement up? Do you or have you owned a PT1911? I have 2000 rounds down mine with out a single hiccup. That is not uncommon for the Taurus either.

The GI has a forged frame like the Taurus and full of MiM.

Every 1911(90%) shy of a full blown custom has MiM parts in them. Food for thought.

I have been sorely tempted to buy a RIA on a couple occassions, seen one in 38 Super at a gunshow for like $350..came close but passed, seen one in a local shop for $425 but had other things on the burner at the time and didnt want to get in deeper, I have heard they are great guns for the money, I have considered another 1911 so as not to put so many miles on my Colt and when the time comes I would definately consider a RIA.

I have a Springfield Armory Champion (shorter barrell, like the colt commander). Probably 1000 or 2000 rounds thru it. It has the heavy barrell, so no barrell bushing. The only trouble i have had is i had to replace the slide stop. But thats it, very satisfied with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Taurus is junk, so if the fit is anything like a Taurus, I'd pass. I'd be more confident in the RIA, however, because the Filipinos love our 1911.

All parts on any 1911 should be fitted. Amazingly, no two are ever the same, even in the year 2009. </div></div>

Do you have any information backing that statement up? Do you or have you owned a PT1911? I have 2000 rounds down mine with out a single hiccup. That is not uncommon for the Taurus either.

The GI has a forged frame like the Taurus and full of MiM.

Every 1911(90%) shy of a full blown custom has MiM parts in them. Food for thought. </div></div>

I never said anything about MIM. In fact, if you search, you'll probably find a lengthy post in which I blasted people for attacking MIM. MIM isn't the problem. MIM parts are in nearly every pistol on the market because they work well and are cheap. Any problem with them is related to quality control, not an inferior production process.

I have not owned a Taurus PT1911. A friend of mine bought one a year ago because he wanted to get into USPSA single stack (with me). He sold it shortly thereafter. The fit was horrible and the trigger was worse.

I think they really tried to make a $600 1911 with a lot of functional upgrades, but failed because their quality control sucks. In my opinion, the 1911 needs to be made on SAE machines. The problem with making it on metric machines is that it was drawn in inches, the specs are in inches, and the fit seems to suck on any pistol that comes from a country that does not pattern its parts after the original drawings.

Taurus raves about its warranty but I think anyone who has owned one of their pistols or revolvers can say that their quality is lacking. They're cheap for a reason.

If nothing about the fit and function, and trigger of the Taurus 1911 mattered, I'd still complain that the grip was so far out of spec, and the radii on the front strap and in the rear where the main spring housing were so badly out of spec that it feels like you're holding onto a 2x4 and really ruins the good, ergonomic 1911 grip feel.

Other than a slide stop that had lots of problems, seldom ever locked the slide open properly, and eventually broke, his PT1911 was decently reliable. He has since sold it and bought a Kimber.

I just don't think $600 can buy a decent 1911. $800-850 maybe, $1000 budget would be better. The 1911 can be finicky when it doesn't fit right.