• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River Arms Varmint Question

TexasAggie28

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Hi guys, this is my first post on this board. I've been reading for a couple of weeks, researching for the first AR I want to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Rock River Varmint .308 since I'm looking for accuracy and quality from what I've read Rock River is pretty darn good and this gun is pretty darn accurate (let me know if I am wrong). I am trying to decide between the 26 or the 20 inch barrel. My initial thought was to go with the 26 because the added length would increase velocity, therefore increasing accuracy. But now I am beginning to wonder if that added 6 inches is really necessary. I've read a couple posts where guys describing the 26" or the 24" barrel as too long and cutting them down to a 20 and maintaining the same accuracy. This will mainly be used as a target and hog hunting gun and I doubt it will ever be taking shots longer than 350 yds. I was planning on offset mounting a red dot sight on the side for closer targets, and I know that a shorter barrel would be easier to maneuver in that situation. Let me know what you think guys!

Re: Rock River Arms Varmint Question

Ford vs. Chevy... Chocolate vs. Vanilla... Blondes vs. Brunettes... Tits vs. Ass... 26" vs. 20" barrel...

I have an LAR-8 26". Super accurate. On par with bolt guns. For the use you describe, however, the 20" would probably be better. With good optics, and good ammo, VERY ACCURATE 350 yrd. shots will be no problem. Were I you, I would consider the Predator HP also. This is a 20" barrel, and exceptionally accurate. It is also lighter and easier to carry in the field. You might want to consider one of the new compact 2.5 x 10 optics available. That would be a fine package for the tasks you wish to accomplish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an LAR-8 26". Super accurate. On par with bolt guns. For the use you describe, however, the 20" would probably be better. With good optics, and good ammo, VERY ACCURATE 350 yrd. shots will be no problem. Were I you, I would consider the Predator HP also. This is a 20" barrel, and exceptionally accurate. It is also lighter and easier to carry in the field. You might want to consider one of the new compact 2.5 x 10 optics available. That would be a fine package for the tasks you wish to accomplish.</div></div>

Thanks for the informative answer. I'm sure I'll let you know what I do shortly.

I'm sure it'll be bacon no matter what you decide on. I also have the Predator HP, with a 5x20 Accupoint Trijicon, Harris bi-pod, all Cerakote FDE. Light, accurate, excellent firearm.

I have an LAR 8 Varmint with a 20" bbl. Very hapy with it but I can't imagine carrying a 26", the 20" is my limit !

Mine is the 26" and i like it very much, that said, i want to get the 20" Predator upper for when i need a hiking gun.

I have a 24" RRA varmint, .223 not .308. Wish I would have went with a 20".

I have a varmint in 223 with an 18 inch barrel and was wanting the varmint in 308 until I held one. I want to hunt with it and its extremely heavy. I ended up going with the predator hp in 308 since I don't need the bull barrel since i dont shoot long strings of shots and the hbar on the predator is lighter and just as accurate. I don't regret my decision one bit.

I kind if doubt many people use the varmint in a 24-26 inch barrel and move around a lot. Those huge barrels are heavy!

Alright guys, I went into my shop and ordered a RRA Predator HP .308 last week! I should be getting it by the beginning of June at the latest! The wait is going to kill me! Thanks alot for the help guys, now I just gotta figure out which red dot that I want on it! I'll post a ton of pictures when I get it all set up!

You shall be quite happy. I'm looking forward to a range report.