• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock RIver Varmint A4's; Range Reports & Opinions?

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Hello,
I've been considering buying a Rock River Varmint A4 in either 16" or 18". I'd like to use it at the range as an accurate medium range target rifle. Not looking for competitions or 1000 yard shooting with it, but I'd like the gun to be accurate. I've used the search function and came up with nothing. Does anyone have one?? Does anyone know where I can read about the accuracy & reliability of these rifles? This would just be for a range only rifle. Already have a 6920, just looking for something more accurate that's about the same size. I appreciate any friendly help.

Re: Rock RIver Varmint A4's; Range Reports & Opinions?

I had a magazine that was doing an evaluation on an 18" A4 with SS bull barrel. The driver was a reputable shooter so your groups may differ, but he was able to get it to go sub 1/2 moa with 60 grain TAP Precision. All the other stuff 77 grain, 75 grain, 69 grain was all 1/2 to 3/4 moa. RRA uses the SS wilson barrels and they are very nice. Like I said the author of that magazine is very established in the shooting world so he can probably push the envelope with any gun you put in his hands but I have heard most people that have used the RRA's say they are extremely accurate to be a factory gun. I SWAT officer at a neighboring department that has one. It rides along with his bolt gun in the trunk while on duty.

I got the RRA coyote 20" model.... They shoot great for a production gun. I thought I saw one here on the hide for sale... If I find it I'll send you a PM.

best of luck,

kinny

You might go check over at ARFCOM , I'm sure you'll get a million replies...

-Slice

I had one in a 20". Shot Black Hills 77 grainers .5" or better consistently. Functioned 100% as did all (4) RRA rifles I have owned.

Mine shoots like a house a fire. But I will not post groups because they are 3 shot groups. Mine shoots Black Hills 50 grain V-Max bullets very accurately. Groups at or under 1" at 300 yards. I bought the ammo at discount to shoot it up and use the brass. But it shoots so well that I have been keeping it for hunting ammunition.

There was a guy on the Predator web site advertising new ones for $900 or $925. The prices have come back down on all the AR's.

Mine has the 20 inch barrel. I have the Leupold VH reticle on my rifle. I have had good luck with the VH reticle out to 500 yards. Which IMO is past the functional hunting distance of the 223 cartridge. Tom.

IMG_0507.jpg

I have the exact same rifle as Hogghead above. I ordered it with a 1 in 8" twist to shoot a bit heavier bullets, which it does exceptionally well. It also loves 52 gr SMK's handloaded. I have considered adding a bit of lead to the rear stock for balance. Only problem is it is very muzzle heavy. Fine from a bench though. They are a great buy for the money.

I would go with the 20" barrel. As heavy as even a 16" bull is, you're not buying much weight reduction over the 20.

What got me thinking about all this is that I used to have a DPMS sweet 16 and it shot incredibly well. I've since sold that rifle and thinking about replacing it. I had a 6-position stock on that rifle with a RRA NM 2-stage. It was very accurate and compact. Looking back I can't complain about that DPMS, but I should have just bought the RRA because of the NM trigger in the first place. I appreciate all the good advice guys. Keep it coming!

Teddy,

I have an "as new" "18 inch RRA Varmint that I have put a couple hundred rounds down range with and also killed a couple of coyotes with. I am looking to sell it as I recently purchased a 20" RRA Coyote that I forgot I ordered (took almost a year to get). OOPS...

Let me know if you would be interested in the gun. It is a great shooter and you would not be disappointed in condition. As I said it is like new. I would post a picture of the rifle but cant figure out how to do it. I can send one to an email if you would like.

I have had two RR NM's and have a lot of rounds through a shorty from them with a chrome lined barrel. The first NM I got from them was a truly gifted shooter, going under .5 inch for five rounds of just about any kind of ammo I tried this was with iron sights off a bag (just to see). The second was a good shooter, just not as good as the first. It would put five in 3/4 or so, pretty regular. I mostly shot regular 55 grain FMJ just cuz it shot well in them.

The shorty I borrow occasionally for fast high volume shoots also shoots under an inch and has never failed to get it done. They were all ultra reliable. The last competition I went to I shot something like 90 rounds in about 2 minutes. It worked great, that is more than could be said for the other brands of AR's at this comp. It was very common to have someone fail to finish because of a feeding issue after 60 or so rounds. The RR's I have seen or used have all been good to great shooters and utterly reliable. I don't think you can go wrong with one of them.

We won a major SWAT sniper competition with one. It was a 24" barrel and 55 grain WBST factory ammunition. I am very happy with how it shoots.