• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River Varmint in .223?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
I'm wanting a Rock River Varmint in .223 in either a 20" or 24" bull barrel. Talk to me about this rifle/cartridge combo as it relates to longer range shooting. What's this cartridge like at long distances, 300-600 yds.? This rifle would be used strictly for paper punching or possibly a praire dog hunt. How's the .223 perform at long range, and what bullets would you recommend for accurate distance shooting? Loads? Scopes? Thanks.

Re: Rock River Varmint in .223?

I had the same question as you about two years ago. I went with the 24" varmint over the 20. The thing really shoots well. I have been impressed with it ever since I got the load worked up. I use 77smk with 24.7 varget.

I've shot this out to 1k more then a couple occasions and it makes it there with ease. The only time it didnt was when I tried it in 10 degree temps
smile.gif
. Anyways, you will hit what you want with ease 600 yards and in if its like my laser. Groups at 600 usually with some wind and for 5 rounds are 3.5-4 inches or so which isnt bad at all.

Good luck with what you decide.

ALan

Have the RRA Predator Pursuit with a 20" barrel. With Federal Gold Medal Match it shoots very well and even with some Federal American Eagle XM855 ball ammo it groups nicely.

I haven't done any hand loads and haven't shot the FGMM 77 grain rounds yet but have them on hand.

So far I have been impressed by the quality of the Rock River. I put a Nightforce 3.5 - 15 X 50 on mine for precision shooting and have an EOTech 557 for "heads up" shooting....Good luck on your choice...JaxOPs

I have the RRA Predator Pursuit in 20" and shot a 3.88 group at 500 yards with a 55grain vmax with Varget powder. It was my first time shooting at that distance so i was very impressed with the gun. For punching paper and p dogs, i think you will be just fine.

I own 2 of the 24" models and chose the 24" because I shoot iron sights in NRA Highpower competition. The 223 with a 70 to 77 grain bullet shoots ballistically similar to a 308 and will still feed through a magazine if that's important to you. Most of the 80 grain bullets will not feed through the magazine. I think you will be happy with a Rock River.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun

I've owned a 24" for years and have taken hundred of Prairie Dogs with it. I use mostly 55 grain Nosler BT bullets ove 25.5 gr of W748. I have a life sized steel Prairie Dog target and this rig taught me that the 5.56 is a 500 yard caliber for PDs. I target shoot out to 800 yards with it with 75g Hornady BTHP and RL-15. Get the best 6-20X scope you can afford. Mine currently has a Leupold but will get a SWFA as funds allow.

Check out the Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. My cousin has multiple RRA's - they are very nice, but his won't out shoot the Stag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quattrodoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. My cousin has multiple RRA's - they are very nice, but his won't out shoot the Stag. </div></div>

What makes the Stag model 6 better than Rock River Varmint model? Anyone here care to compare and contrast the 2 rifles? Thanks.

Nothing same parts same wilson barrels etc. DPMS, RRA and STAG bull uppers all shoot pretty well.

I have had a 20" RRA varmint upper for a long time and it always shoots great.

Another 20" RRA Varmint here. I love it but I wish I would have gotten the predator pursuit. The Varmint is a bit front heavy for offhand work.

20" RRA varmint BULL barrel. I shoot the Black Hills RED box 69 grain. Shoots great. Here is a 5 round group at 100 yards. Dime size
2011-10-06_20-00-02_275.jpg

Most folks dont know this or wont believe it, but Olympic arms varmint barrels are heads and tails above a wilson. Wilson i assume button's there barrels were as o;Olympic barrels are broach cut. I have had both and the Olympic ran circles around the wilson barrel. Actually i have had three rock river uppers. Im not bashing rock river, dont get me wrong!! I do like them. Lee

I had a 20" bbl and it worked great. I shot it out to 500 yards using PPU 75 grain ammo with good results. I don't think you need a barrel over 20" as the gains in muzzle velocity won't get you much.

I have the predator pursuit RRA with the 20" barrel. Fantastic rifle eats up brass or metal cartridges without malfunctions accurate as heck. I have shot .683 5 shot group at 100 yds. The 2 stage trigger is great. Just shot it recently at 511 yards using mil surp ammo. Getting consecutive hits at that distance as was my brother.

This is simply an awesome platform.

I've been working up a load for a new 24" RRA Warmint. (69 gr. SMK's) So far I like what I'm seeing with it. My best 5 shot groups right at 3/4 to just over 1/2 MOA at 100. Worst groups were an inch and a half to two inches. I think I'm seeing a direct correlation between very minor seating depth changes and group size. It's heavy, know that going into it. So far I really like it.