• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rocking defensive pistol!!!

Wasn't it a bit of a bad idea to break cover with three baddies in view yet only one round left? Wouldn't sacrificing three rounds behind cover for a magazine change, take the final baddie from cover and then break cover for the remaining three have been a better choice?

Wasn't it a bit of a bad idea to break cover with three baddies in view yet only one round left? Wouldn't sacrificing three rounds behind cover for a magazine change, take the final baddie from cover and then break cover for the remaining three have been a better choice?

ah the stuff you think about after the fact when not under the timer.

Agreed... But if it's a defensive shooting competition, (designed, one would think to hone defensive shooting skills), I would think situational awareness is as imporant as being able to shoot the weapon accurately. I was taught to count my rounds when I was in the military just so I don't find myself standing in front of two, probably pissed off baddies with only a fart and a prayer to my name.

I'm not trying to pass myself off as an expert here... Maybe I misunderstand the point of the exercise...

Agreed... But if it's a defensive shooting competition, (designed, one would think to hone defensive shooting skills), I would think situational awareness is as imporant as being able to shoot the weapon accurately. I was taught to count my rounds when I was in the military just so I don't find myself standing in front of two, probably pissed off baddies with only a fart and a prayer to my name.

Did you ever have an opportunity to put that lesson into practice? Were you able to keep count?

Not trying to be polarizing, but every defensive handgun course I've taken has taught that you will probably will not be able to keep track of rounds and that when to reload during a gunfight is more of an art than a science.

[MENTION=84839]am1958[/MENTION], you are not wrong, but you are not taking into account the fact that despite it being about defensive pistol, it is still also a competition (game). As such, reality is often sacrificed for time and score. That's just the nature of such things and always will be as long as competitions exist.

Woojos & lash:

I practiced under similar conditions to the competition. Like you I was taught that for real you'd most likely not stand a chance but in the case of the competition it can't be that difficult to train yourself to count. It's not like the targets in this situation are concealed and pop up unexpectedly. You can see all the targets and can therefore plan your shots. Maybe they should have a penalty point per second that you are exposed while reloading with each point equating to a second. That would cause one to appreciate your situation prior to moving which would improve the training benefit of the competiton.

Like I said, I'm not trying to create waves but rather to understand and possibly improve the training benefit of the competition.

You can offer all the advice that you like here on this forum and right or wrong it will make zero difference.

Do yourself and all of us a favor and go shoot an IDPA oe USPSA match, after you read the rule book. Then, write the people at IDPA and USPSA who consider changes in the rules to tell them how they should change their rules. Every year they consider hundreds if not thousands of rule requests and decide which ones to incorporate. If they decide to take your esteemed advice, then you will have succeeded in your argument. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and ours with this discussion.

I know that I will always shoot a competition the fastest way that the rules allow, not necessarily the best way to emulate real live fire situations. BIG difference. Always will be.

I would agree but the stage instructions specifically said that those shots must be taken on the move. yes in real life i probably would have done a tac reload behind cover but this is still a "game" and as such the point is to get the best score possible in the fastest time possible. In real life the point is to not get lead poisoning lol. (and yes I have played in real life)

I know that I will always shoot a competition the fastest way that the rules allow, not necessarily the best way to emulate real live fire situations. BIG difference. Always will be.

Yup and that is lost on a lot of the "but you didnt do it realistically" crowd. Last I checked it was a gun game, not training.

I was shooting a fun league at a local indoor range a few winters ago. One of the stages was 3 targets. Each target needed 2 holes in it. You only had 3 rounds in each mag. I think the par time was 3 seconds for the whole sequence. Well the way the RO kinda explained the stage was 1 shot on each target, reload, 1 shot on each target(123 reload 123). I asked the question "does it matter the order we shoot them in" and got a big "NO". I got bitched at by a few of the "competitors" because I "gamed" the stage(2 shots, 1 shot, reload, 1 shot, 2 shots). I also got bitched at because I reload at eye level instead of dropping the gun down to my right hip area and fumbling around for a reload, something along the lines of "my reloads were to fast" to which I responded with a big, you all can go fuck yourselves, this is a fun game, dont take it so seriously, etc... and I packed my shit and left. Well I found out after the fact that none of the RO's or guys that worked at the range could actually complete the shooting sequence in the par time and I "showed" them all up. Who the fuck designs a stage that nobody can actually complete? These guys thought they did to be "cute" or whatever(of course they didnt actually shoot the course of fire that night). I went back the next week with a J-frame with pink grips and competed with the guys with the auto loaders just to fuck around. They got pissed for me "showing them up, once again" uh, sorry this is a fun league, I have a j-frame with pink grips, get over yourselves. I was not asked back to the next session of the league LOL. I know the range owner and he said I pissed a lot of guys off because I was out there screwing around and beating them all and they were actually trying to get better, but were so horrible to begin with they thought I was showing them up on purpose.

Ahhh... I see the problem....

It's a misnamed competition.

Clearly, from what has been written above it has absolutely zero to do with defensive shooting whatsoever. It's all about shooting shit as quickly as you can. Because there's nothing defensive about taking out seven guys in nine and a half milliseconds and then standing there in front of three healthy, murderous gang bangers/enemy with your panties around your ankles and a club in your hand.

Let's agree to call it what it is then, a speed shooting competition.

To the OP:

You're pretty quick mate... Good shooting...

Well first of all nobody would be double tapping 10 bad guys opening fire on us. Nor would the bad guys be standing there letting us shoot at them. But this isn't real, it's a match with a COF, a timer and scoring rings. Just fun is all it is and also to see how a guy stacks up against the rest of the competitors. What it will do is simulate some type of stress and hopefully help a guy to become more proficient with a side arm.

Great shooting there OP. You must of been practicing with that Gamo.

They should shoot the course of fire with simunition and have all of the bad guy targets fire back...

On another note, I wish I could find an idpa league south of houston. It looks like a lot of fun.

They should shoot the course of fire with simunition and have all of the bad guy targets fire back...

On another note, I wish I could find an idpa league south of houston. It looks like a lot of fun.

i've said for a long time that they should use child molesters and convicted murderers for targets, give them sim rounds and you get to keep your live ammo.... just saying.....................lol