• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rolex Question

rhantz

Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is for you who are knowledgeable about buying and selling Rolex's. I've had mine for over thirty years (bought it new) and worn it every day, great watch, no real problems.
The thing is the value seems to have gone up a lot and I'm thinking of cashing in on it now before either I break it or lose it or I die and my kids put it in a garage sale.
Anyway, my questions are:

Is it better for me to send it to the service center for a polishing, new crystal and a new bezel first or to sell it the way it is as it a rather hard to find model and people might want the original?

The prices that are being asked are all over the place and I can't seem to find the realized prices anywhere. I'd like to know what I could reasonably expect (I understand that whoever buys it will expect a profit too). I'd like a honest range of what to expect.

I see that there are some pretty sharp Rolex guys on this forum and I hope you can help, I really don't want to spend weeks on a watch forum trying to figure this out if I can help it. Thanks in advance, Rick

Early 1980's Explorer II 1655 (big orange hand)
band has been replaced with a Rolex band

2urqrut.jpg

sorry about the crappy picture

Re: Rolex Question

I'd take it to an authorized Rolex dealer and see what they say. I sent mine back last summer for service and it came back looking brand new. It cost me almost $700 and it included a new bezel being installed. It took every bit of six weeks to get it back. I dont think getting it serviced would devalue the watch. I'm just not sure it will come back looking new. That looks to be in pretty rough shape from the picture. It's always a good thing when selling a used Rolex to have it serviced. Rolex recommends every five years which seems a little too often to me. Mine was 8 years old when I sent it back.

I have a GMT Master II that is going on 7 years old and while it does not have nearly the miles yours has on it, I brought it back to the dealer where I purchased it and they did a cleaning and buffing on it and it was like the day I took it out the box...$225.

Like Swage suggested, send it back to Rolex for the service and I am sure you will get back in double on the sale....Rolex prices have gone crazy since I purchased mine. When I was at my dealer a few months ago, they said they would give me what I paid for it towards another Rolex.

If you've never had it serviced at the recommended 5-year point you owe it to yourself. The servicing seems to average around $700. They will recommend replacing those banged-up parts to get it looking new (crystal, bezel, face, hands, and band if too gouged to buff and polish out, and the prices are fairly reasonable). It will look better than you expect.

Chances are (if your watch holds good time) your internals are in good shape. Rolex recommends 5-years as certain light oils may have evaporated to the point they are not lubricating at points as well as they should, and for the techs to check your waterproofing gaskets.

Sending it to a Rolex dealer or one of the three stateside service centers you can also ask for an appraisal. You can then try selling it yourself or on consignment. You will probably be shocked what it is worth today.

There are a few good Rolex forums like any other interest group.

All I can say is that is one beautiful Rolex. I personally wouldn't have them refinish it, the wear looks awesome. Though the internals may need some love.

Seriously nice watch.

A good buddy just sold pretty much the same watch. In better shape it brought 4000. I know thats what he was paid because he was pissed he had to come out of pocket to buy my Breitling LOL.

I have not had my Rolex serviced in the 15 years I have owned it. It works perfect. I wear it everyday, should I have it serviced?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddelagarza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had my Rolex serviced in the 15 years I have owned it. It works perfect. I wear it everyday, should I have it serviced? </div></div>

The time difference on subs should be -2 to +4 seconds a day, anything that seems to drift further than that, send it in for mechanical tune-up. The downside is that it takes forever and I ended up getting another watch for the wait...well, that was the excuse.

I worked the last 10 yeasrs in an authorized Rolex store. To complete a COA (clean oil and adjust) it will cost you about 550 dollars right now. To buff and replace the crystall and COA your looking at about 850-1100 dollars...........

The value of your timepiece as it sits is probaly 1500-2000,........ after the coa 3000....

Your biggest concern would be your braclet.... they stretch over time and would cost 600-900 for a new one. the way to tell if its stretched is to hold it straight out (9 oclock point up) and see how far down the bracelet hangs ....... Also when you bought it did you remove links from the bracelt and do you have all the paper work and box. This will add value to the time piece......

If you have anyquestion pm me and I will walk you through it....... might be intrested in buying it

also you should have a coa done on any rolex ever time you get out of the timing diffrence or 5 years............... its mechanical just like your car.......... if you dont oil the parts on your car it will go 50k but when it breaks down it is very ecxpensive to fix it..... same with the timepiece....... If you wait to fix it , it is no longer just an oil change but usually something is broken........ send them in every 5 years or i will tell you, that you will regret it.....

I suggest you go to Timezone.com and check their sales corner to see what the going rates are. They're usually pretty close to market value because of the number of watches that get sold there. Your Explorer as is probably is worth just south of $2k give or take a few hundred here and there depending on other factors. A fairly mint one of the same model and pedigree could easily fetch over $4k+ so an overall certainly could be worth it. You'll recoup most of the cost, though you're not going to profit from the overhaul. However, it might be easier to sell.

I bought my stainless DATEJUST new in 1981 for $1,000. The only time I take it off is when I'm hunting (too shiny), when I take a shower, or when I'm getting frisky (she says it scratches her).

Every 15 years or so I've had to have it serviced - it either stopped or started to run erratically - both times was after I dropped it onto a hard surface. It cost around $400 both times whether it was just a COA or whether they replaced the case itself (threads where the stem screws down were worn). I got a new crystal both times.

I've wondered what it's worth since I see new ones like it in the $4K range, but I can't get consistent answers from the dealers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddelagarza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had my Rolex serviced in the 15 years I have owned it. It works perfect. I wear it everyday, should I have it serviced? </div></div>

The fine oil they use in the gearing will dry after 8-10 years (or so I am told) so it can affect the time accuracy. If yours keeps good time then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do send it in for a clean/polish, do NOT let the Rolex service center refinish or replace the dial (face). Often, if the luminosity is gone from the markers, they will refinish. This really hurts the value of the older watches and your Explorer 2 is a drop-dead gorgeous piece and seems to have a perfect face under the crystal.

Personally, I could never part with a fine watch I owned and wore for 30 years. Think of all the places it's been with you... I have a GMT I bought when I was 22 and overseas where it was cheap... At least by today's standards. Been with me everywhere for 25 years.

If your kids don't want (or deserve) it, put it in your will to a good friend. But don't cash in on it. You'll be selling a part of you.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do send it in for a clean/polish, do NOT let the Rolex service center refinish or replace the dial (face). </div></div>

I agree - keep the old face and hands, whether they still glow in the dark or not.

Buying and selling fine watches is like buying and selling fine firearms, Condition, Condition, Condition. That is the bottom line! I feel like opinions on worth of your watch are on the high side. But all it takes is a happy buyer and a happy seller to make a good transaction. When the money starts hitting the table the bs stops. As much as people gripe and bitch, Ebay is a pretty good place to price nicer watches. Just make sure you buy them in the USA, and have them chked out if you have any concerns. I just bought a like new Omega Seamaster Professional and saved around $400 on same watch on Timezone.

yeah i've seen enough of Pawn Stars and all of their little offspring to cringe when people talk about replacing/refinishing components of fine watches.

IIRC there was a Rolex on one of the shows that if it had all original parts would've been with 50k-70k, but refinished and replaced parts lowered the value to like 10k-15k according to the show...kinda made me sad for the guy.

I have a Rolex Submariner I bought in 1973. The man at the dealership where I had it serviced several years ago indicated that it was rare since "Submariner" on the face was in red instead of black. Is this so? Also, I had my name and date of purchase engraved on the back when I bought it. What effect would this have on the sale price? I know nothing about watches... Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rolex Submariner I bought in 1973. The man at the dealership where I had it serviced several years ago indicated that it was rare since "Submariner" on the face was in red instead of black. Is this so? Also, I had my name and date of purchase engraved on the back when I bought it. What effect would this have on the sale price? I know nothing about watches... Thanks. </div></div>
Don't take this as a smartass reply, but can you sell your autograph? If a red dial Submariner is rare (I ain't got a clue) If it is as new in original packaging it is worth the most. No pkging, honest wear, the price goes down. Abusive wear, neglect, and somewhere in here engraved names and the price goes still further down. On any collectibles, price is directly comparitive to condition. I'm sure you can get on some of the watch forums and find out how rare a red dial Submariner is.

I have my Dad's two-tone date-just that I have investigated selling, my conclusion is to have Rolex do a service. I found the watch's that have been serviced by Rolex sold and you get the service cost back in the sale. Unserviced watches are a gamble to the buyer and they price accordingly. Rolex will give you a cost to service, you can then accept or decline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed-G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my Dad's two-tone date-just that I have investigated selling, my conclusion is to have Rolex do a service. I found the watch's that have been serviced by Rolex sold and you get the service cost back in the sale. Unserviced watches are a gamble to the buyer and they price accordingly. Rolex will give you a cost to service, you can then accept or decline.

</div></div>

Good call, to add in my limited experience if you have/can find the original box and paperwork add 15-20%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rolex Submariner I bought in 1973. The man at the dealership where I had it serviced several years ago indicated that it was rare since "Submariner" on the face was in red instead of black. Is this so? Also, I had my name and date of purchase engraved on the back when I bought it. What effect would this have on the sale price? I know nothing about watches... Thanks. </div></div>

This is often called a "Red Submariner" and it is a bit more rare/valuable, yes.

OP, that is a beautiful Rolex. Get the crystal replaced, the movement serviced, get it resealed and make sure they do not replace any of the face or hands. Your call on how much patina to "undo", but if you're looking to sell to a collector you really have to be careful. Personally, they'd bury me in it...

Surf Rolexforums for a few minutes, you'll quickly learn the basics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: takashi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddelagarza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had my Rolex serviced in the 15 years I have owned it. It works perfect. I wear it everyday, should I have it serviced? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The time difference on subs should be -2 to +4 seconds a day</span>, anything that seems to drift further than that, send it in for mechanical tune-up. The downside is that it takes forever and I ended up getting another watch for the wait...well, that was the excuse. </div></div>Sorry, but I just have to laugh at that.

I know, I know, a Rolex is about prestige and ruggedness, and not about Atomic Clock-mediated quartz accuracy.

Everytime I see a Rolex I think..."thats a nice watch" and then two seconds later "then again, if he went with a casio he could buy a GAP or Gradous or APA stick..."

Guns and ammo are my currency lol. Are you a fanatic if you weigh every purchase with its equivalent value in weaponry?

A good source is a book called "The Rolex Report", its written by John E. Brozek. He includes a ton of info on the entire line along with history behind the watch. The author includes the info necessary to not get stung buying a fake. My Sub is 9 yrs old, it use to be worn daily until I purchased a Britling Datora.