• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Rookie hog hunter light question

Bob Shaver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2006
Illinois
Taking my first stab at hogs next month. Was told that we'd be hunting out of stands and something tells me this will be a night hunt. Never done a night hunt so I'm not sure if hogs react to light like deer or if they scatter like roaches when the light comes on.

What color filter would you reccomend? I've been told red, blue and now green or do I just stick with white light and flip it on when I hear noise. I've always heard that most animals can't really see light in the red part of the spectrum so red's best. Another fella tells me blue but I always thought blue was for blood tracking etc.

Some real world input would be appreciated.

Re: Rookie hog hunter light question

I think red is the color you are looking for. We've been hog hunting for years, have killed many at night, and never used a filter at all. They don't seem to mind unless they have been shot at a lot. Have fun!

Green and Red are the two colors effective on hogs. As Teamr2 says, sometimes they don't mind a normal spot light. With either light, avoid shining directly into the eyes as that does bother them (light intensity).

The areas I hunt, it's hard to use a light regardless. Most of the filters put over a light drastically reduce their visibility. To purchase a light with an actual RED/GREEN LED will help that problem, but it's still not as bright.

I could see it being effective if you like to sit in a stand all night.

I found a ton of info in the link below. One tip they say which seems to make sense is to (regardless of light color) point the light skyward when turning it on. Then slowly bring the light down on the animal.

link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One tip they say which seems to make sense is to (regardless of light color) point the light skyward when turning it on. Then slowly bring the light down on the animal.</div></div>

I agree with that 100%. A few weeks ago my cousin and I were sitting in the deer stand after dark and a hog walked out into the road. I got the gun out the window and my cousin turned on the green XLR 250 and was pointing it directly at the hog and the hog took off into the brush. A few minutes later the hog came back out and my cousin turned the light on again, pointing it directly at the hog, at it took off into the brush a second time. I then told him if it came back out, to try pointing it at the sky and then slowly bring it down on the hog. We waited a few minutes, the hog walked back out, my cousin pointed the light up in the sky, brought it down on the hog real slowly, and it didn't phase the hog in the least. Needless to say the hog was laid out on the ground a few seconds later...

I love the XLR 250's in green, but I'm not a big fan of red. They both work great but it just seems like I'm able to see a little better with green and it has a little more reach. I would say that if you're hunting in a blind or on the ground, then an XLR 250 in red or green would work fine, but if you're riding around hunting from a vehicle, then just stick with a regular spotlight. You can see ALOT more with the white light than with a green or red filter. We kill the majority of the hogs at our property by riding around in the Mule, my cousin drives and shines the Q-beam while I shoot. As long as the shooter has their gun ready and reacts fast enough, the hogs will hang around long enough for you to take a shot. Hope this helps.

-Josh

I haven't used the green light but the red has always worked for me. I would make sure it's legal to hunt hogs a night thow. here in LA. there is no season on hogs but you can't hunt at night during deer season. Which I know wouldn't be a problem now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Shavewa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking my first stab at hogs next month. Was told that we'd be hunting out of stands and something tells me this will be a night hunt. Never done a night hunt so I'm not sure if hogs react to light like deer or if they scatter like roaches when the light comes on.

What color filter would you reccomend? I've been told red, blue and now green or do I just stick with white light and flip it on when I hear noise. I've always heard that most animals can't really see light in the red part of the spectrum so red's best. Another fella tells me blue but I always thought blue was for blood tracking etc.

Some real world input would be appreciated.
</div></div>

you are in for a fun time. everyone has covered your question above. let us know how it turns out.