• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rookie Q; Explain .300 Win Mag

Dont overly worry about offending the kid , he is German, they are blunt people with thick skin, (the most family friendly culture in Europe, good food, beer, and twisty roads to ride) there are a lot of ranges that have been abandoned by the draw down in the 90's, have shot on a lot of them as I am sure a lot on this forum have, dont know about usage by civilians yet, but went back to my old base a few years ago and it was mothballed in perfect shape so the ranges might be the same way. If he is looking at getting a 300 wm you words are not going to scare him away.

U narrowed it down
There is difference between Need and Desire
U Desire a 300W Mag, but maybe you Need a 308 Winchester... :)

Hi, I didn't get THAT offended, but yeah, having a baby girl and a large family that wants to see the newborn takes ALL my time these days. :)

I'm also sorry I didn't keep a cool head. But being woke up every third hour kinda drain all surplus energy :p

Anyway, the for all the reply. I can honestly say I now understand the world of calibers. I've been looking at various ballistic charts and compared them to the ballistic specs (case size, powder amount, projectile weight) and I think I see what makes somewhat similar bullets behave different :)

I see that one of the advantages of the WM is that the larger case allows for more powder which in return allows for heavier projectile which gives the shooter a bullet that a more resistant to wind and have more power at longer range :)

In my opinion the 300 Win is by far a better choice. I can find ammo nearly anywhere (when the democrats aren't in office) even all over Alaska. With a 230gn bullet I can almost match the mighty 338 Lapua, that same 230 Berger does not go subsonic for nearly a mile. With a muzzle brake and heavy barrel the recoil is much less than a 30-06. The secret service and special forces use the 300 Winchester Magnum for all the right reasons, it kicks ass!

God rest his soul! When I found my Rem 700 XCR LRT the FFL said he was looking for 2 Fort Carson SF's and where the hell did I find Mine. Just lucky I suppose.
Loved the 300 Win ever since.

...and about the "being called german" thing... The thing Dans hear most is being called Swedish, as if Denmark is the capitol of Sweden :-D

But then again, i doubt anyone from Europe knows all the states in the US or even the difference between Iowa and Missouri ;-)

I'm probably a bit of an US Army fan boy, and part of the reason I'm going with .300WM is because I want something that pack a punch (and because I read American Sniper by C. Kyle) *doh*

I have no doubt that all the other calibers you have suggested will fit my needs better, but I have to learn by my own "mistakes" :)

Funny story. When I had gotten my motorcycle drivers license everybody told me I couldn't handle a 900cc, it was too big for a rookie and I wouldn't learn how to ride it properly. Buy after a season I was able to knee slide, wheelie (not big but the front did lift ;-)) and ride it the way a sports bike is suppose to be ridden.

My point is that while I have NO DOUBT that it'll require extra effort handling a larger caliber, I do believe that the mentality plays a part :)

But don't get me wrong, all your advises have been read, and I have read about the calibers you've suggested so even though I don't choose what you suggest, I've still learned a great deal from reading your advises :)

The 300 Win Mag is great. I recently bought one myself. It's a great round. I wasn't trying to steer you away from it. Just trying to give you more options and info so you can make an educated decision.