• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rookie question

Gmac

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Delaware
I’m breaking in new RPR w SMK 308. Shooting from bench rest with bipod and sml bag under butt. Getting 0.5-0.6 MOA @ 100 yds but sight picture thru scope jumps abt 8-10” off target to the left when I fire. What might I be doing wrong??

I’m breaking in new RPR w SMK 308. Shooting from bench rest with bipod and sml bag under butt. Getting 0.5-0.6 MOA @ 100 yds but sight picture thru scope jumps abt 8-10” off target to the left when I fire. What might I be doing wrong??
Does this happen when your shoot prone?

If no, sounds like your recoil management from a bench needs some work. Focus on preloading your bipod then absorbing the recoil / follow through just like you would if prone. When done properly, you lose sight picture for a only a tiny fraction of a second then right back on target through the scope.

maybe shoot and post a video of yourself shooting so folks can see what’s going on.

Meanwhile, check out Lowlight’s Youtube vids on recoil mgmt if you haven’t already done so.

1) You're not behind the rifle - your body is to the left side, causing it to rotate left.
2) Your shoulder is too hard, causing the magnitude of shift you're experiencing.

Soften your shoulder and absorb the recoil, and make sure you line up straight behind the rifle.

Reactions: RichMangus
I’m not one of the expert marksmen that have replied.

but I had this same issue when I started but even worse. afoot left and a foot up.

Since you’re shooting from a bench, I’ll bet you shoot from one of those little side cutouts that only seem to serve bench rest guys who free recoil and have 2 ox triggers. I dislike them and have no idea why every damn range builds the same benches.

I got a drummers stool and put it directly behind the bench and get a natural point of aim w both gun and body.

also, look at some of the Frank and Marc vids. Imperceptible Trigger is one where I believe it shows them not only holding the bag w their off hand but also use their thumb and forefinger finger to hold the rear of the stock. I found this to help tremendously w managing recoil. Like this:

1628866164732.png

also, I was a long time skeet shooter and we hard cheek a shotgun. So Jesse (Precision Underground) suggestion may well apply.

work on managing recoil and NOT putting any lateral force on the trigger. It’s press straight back.

hope my little musings are somewhat helpful.

Last edited:
1) You're not behind the rifle - your body is to the left side, causing it to rotate left.
2) Your shoulder is too hard, causing the magnitude of shift you're experiencing.

Soften your shoulder and absorb the recoil, and make sure you line up straight behind the rifle.

That worked! Thank you!

Reactions: Baron23

FYI: That worked! Thanx.