• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rookie Questions

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Hey folks, I am going ot start reloading here shortly without the foggiest clue of what I'm doing. I have been looking at an RCBS Partner Press and I keep reading folks who state it is a great press if you're not doing any "major case forming". Here comes the rookie question...is case forming the same as full length resizing, or is this taking a case in one caliber and forming it to another caliber, or is it neither? While I'm on it, do you all recommend the Partner Press for a beginner? Also, I read that dies make all the difference. I purchased the Lee Deluxe sets from Cabela's for .308 and .223. Are these a good start or are there other recs? Thanks for taking the time to answer such mundane questions.

Re: Rookie Questions

Falex case forming is when you shoot the bullet through you rifle for the first time. The walls of the brass conform to the size of you chamber.
Sizing is the first step in reloading when you take the fired brass and reduce and straighten the walls and neck.
When I was new at reloading some of the best advise I got was to buy a reloading book for beginners. There are many out there here is one from your die maker which is good.
Good luck and ask a lot of questions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639649/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-revised-reloading-manual

Sorry my minds eye read "fire forming" my mistake!! You are correct with case forming definition sorry again for the confusion!!

i thought case forming was taking brass from you caliber making another.Kinda like taking a 223 case and necking it up to take a 7mm or 308 bullet.

Fal,
RCBS makes some good stuff. I got the Rockchucker kit and gonna get the partner press for bullet seating. As for dies there are few companies make good stuff... redding, forster come to mind right off. I think it depends on what you are loading for and what you want out of the loadings.

sota

Depends on what you are loading for...plinking rounds...LEE will suffice...precision...IMO Forster is the way to go...volume a progressive is in order. I started with LEE...decent stuff to get you started...HOWEVER....if you are like most you will get the bug and before you know it your garage will be taken over with reloading stuff...you will quickly ditch the LEE stuff for RCBS, Redding, Dillon or Forster. I would take time to think about the type of rounds you are trying to produce and how many of them you are trying to crank out. If you haven't already done so scour the net and read the ABC's of Reloading. Once you figure out what is needed buy the best that you can afford...buy once cry once.

FALex if you just doing your standard type of reloading that press will be fine.

Case forming refers to changing the case via pushing it into a die. On a really basic level this can be full length sizing. On a more advanced level is dramatically changing the brass by neck up or down. For example if you were to take .300RUM brass and neck it up to .338 EDGE brass, would be an example of case forming. When making any major modification to brass specs your press will require a decent amount of power to operate, and this is where some of the presses differ.

Rcbs presses are good I prefer redding or if you intending on getting into reloading in a big way the Forster co-ax is awesome I'll be getting one soon it costs but will last forever so only crying once as for dies lee are fine for you to learn with and can get very good results but apart from lee I like redding and really favor Forster dies basically IMO if you want top of the line Forster is best.

I use a partner press to reload 308 all the time. I use Lee dies for alot of stuff. Are there better presses out there, absolutely, but for a starting point...it works and works well. I use dillon for pistol and 223, both progressive, as it saves time. I have RCBS and Forster dies, which are better, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a set of Lee dies. Got two sets still for 7mag and 223.

You didn't mention what type of shooting you're doing -- application matters a lot. My friend who got me hooked on this bottomless rabbit hole of shooting and reloading told me the same thing others mentioned here: buy once, cry once.

I started with a Lee press kit and dies. If I was loading for plinking or hunting I would have stuck with that. But I got hooked on competition shooting and went with a Forster press and Redding micrometer dies, now the Lee stuff sits in a drawer.

Just throwing my experience out there to consider -- that "buy once, cry once" advice can save you a lot of money in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend who got me hooked on this <span style="font-weight: bold">bottomless</span> rabbit hole of shooting and reloading</div></div>

Truer word have not been spoken.
smile.gif

That is no lie! But application really is the key. I have a rock chucker and a small lee press that I use to seat with; speeds up the process beautifully!! But as for dies, most any manufacturer will do and is mostly just personal taste. The more you reload though, you will see how some of the basic dies just don't hack it. I have micrometer seaters for competition, and basic dies that I leave set for my practice ammo. Have four kids; time is important!!!

Get the coax. You can always sell it used at 10% off and then go buy an inferior one.

Falex,

I puchase nothing other than the Lee Deluxe dies, I think they are great and I can shoot .5moa with my 223, so I don't think they are any less precise than the most expensive dies.

For a press, I would go with the Lee Classic Cast press, I think it is about $100, and it is built like a TANK. Get the one with the quick change bushings though, those are nice.

i use a special 5 for little stuff and a rock chuckar supreme for bigger stuff. they sell the rock chuckar supreme in a dam nice kit