• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rookie reloader. Best powder for ar15

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
New at reloading and ready to load for my ar15. Probably going to start off shooting a 62 grain generic bullet but want powder suggestions. Obviously want the best bang for my buck as far as consistency and accuracy. What's your favorite ar15 powder?

Used to be able to get some military pull down powder from pats reloading and it works fine but good luck finding that now. It was close or same as H335. H380 works good to.

H335 and BLC2 work very well and meter well. If you are going to use a progressive press or powder measure, then either of these ball powders will serve you well.
If you are going to hand weigh your charges or use a dipper, there are several excellent extruded powders like varget and RE15 that work very well also.

H335 and BLC2 work very well and meter well. If you are going to use a progressive press or powder measure, then either of these ball powders will serve you well.
If you are going to hand weigh your charges or use a dipper, there are several excellent extruded powders like varget and RE15 that work very well also.

Why is there a difference in powders if I use a progressive press or not?

Benchmark is a short grained extruded and meters great but ive only used it up to 60 grain bullet weight. From what I understand its for lighter weight bullets. Ive actually got lower ES and SD by dropping the charge rather than by weighing each one...I still cant figure that one out.

ARs vary a lot, depending on twist, and barrel length (not to mention the brass and primer combo you'll be using). Generally speaking, extruded powders deliver better accuracy in almost all the rifle shooting disciplines, but true some ball powders can and do often do just fine. Ball powder does meter "better", but that is a function of your powder thrower, some thrower do far better than others. I'd like to suggest you get a number of loading guides/books (you can never have too many) starting with Sierra's. They[Sierra] have broken down loads for bolt action 223 and AR-15 loading. You'll almost never go wrong using Sierra's load data. What shoots well in one gun doesn't always work out in the next, therefore; you are going to have to experiment with your weapon to find the "perfect" load. Remember, regardless of what some "experts" have put out in the past, if you're weapons has a 1-8 twist tube, yes it will very likely fire 52 grain SMK's well, don't be afraid to try the lighter bullets, they very often can shoot like a house on fire! I've read on this very board, an "expert" chewing a guys ass off, because he wasn't shooting "At least 69gr bullet" with his 1-8! Don't get sucked into this type of nonsense, idiots like that are a dime a dozen. Good luck in your load development, A couple of powders that haven't been mentioned, that I've had great luck with are N133 and N135.

Last edited:
I'm a big W748 fan for AR's.
Meters great and works well with the 55 to 69 grain bullets with often very good accuracy and decent speed.
8208XBR is another great AR powder that does well with the 75/77 bullets.

Depends on how you are going to be filling cases, progressives are going to favor spherical or very short extruded powders if you have any hopes of consistent charges through a powder measure. I've had very good success with TAC and Winchester 748 out of both the Hornady LNL and Dillon powder measures, very consistent. If you're using a chargemaster or trickling your own powder drops, there's really no to be very selective as right now you are limited with choices. Find something in stock that you can get at least a couple pounds of and experiment with it.

Depends on how you are going to be filling cases, progressives are going to favor spherical or very short extruded powders if you have any hopes of consistent charges through a powder measure. I've had very good success with TAC and Winchester 748 out of both the Hornady LNL and Dillon powder measures, very consistent. If you're using a chargemaster or trickling your own powder drops, there's really no to be very selective as right now you are limited with choices. Find something in stock that you can get at least a couple pounds of and experiment with it.

Here's a stupid question. Will it say on the bottle if it's ball or extrudent powder? Going to a couple gun shops tomorrow and I should see a good selection of powder between the 3. Definitely using a progressive press. I have about 2k + pieces of brass and won't be hand loading each one.

These days it more about what you can find versus what you WANT.

I have traditionally load H335 in .223, the original H335 was suprlus military 5.56 powder. WW748, BL(C)2, IMR 8208xbr, Ramshot TAC, Varget, IMR 3031, Accurate 2230, Accurate 2520 are all good .223/5.56 powders. And many more.

Almost anything you can find will shoot well in AR's. Powder burn rate won't make much difference in accuracy. Just pick one that's available; any burn rate from H322 to Vihta Vuori N540. Do not shoot 62 gr milsurp bullets. You'll never know whether the rifle or the shooter is doing anything right, since they just won't group. Use a match bullet, like a Hornady 52 BTHP. Cannelure doesn't matter either way.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned cfe 223. I like it under both the 52g bthp and the 69g SMK.

I just forgot it. :)

I have some, but have not loaded any. I hear good things about it.

I use Varget, and am considering using IMR-4064 as an alternate. For a long time, Varget was considered too hard to meter through 22 caliber case necks, but I bought this, which is essentially an automated electrically powered powder trickler on steroids combined with a digital scale and some programming. No more major hassles metering stick powder charges automatically. I replaced the metering pan with this. This combo is accurate to +/- .1gr and literally provides charges just about as quickly as I can use them.

That's a lotta bucks for a beginner, but once you start loading more frequently, and for many different cartridges; it will grow on you.

ETA: I gave reached the limit of my patience with Fed XM855's, they just won't group decently. I will be disassembling them and retrying the components using Win 64gr Power Points instead of the USGI penetrator bullets and a reduced charge, the factory/military charge appears excessive for my purposes.

Greg

Last edited:
I think I'm an oddball, but I load IMR 4895 and 69gr Sierra match kings in Lake city brass through a Dillon 550. The gods must be smiling on me, because it throws powder with no discernible difference in charge weights.

What is your 4895 load? How many grains of powder?

Thanks.

Almost anything you can find will shoot well in AR's. Powder burn rate won't make much difference in accuracy. Just pick one that's available; any burn rate from H322 to Vihta Vuori N540. Do not shoot 62 gr milsurp bullets. You'll never know whether the rifle or the shooter is doing anything right, since they just won't group. Use a match bullet, like a Hornady 52 BTHP. Cannelure doesn't matter either way.

I agree. I'm currently using RL17 in mine. I have a couple pounds of it laying around and it wouldn't shoot in my 260 so I figured what the hell. With 52g Hornady's, its surprisingly accurate.

I agree. I'm currently using RL17 in mine. I have a couple pounds of it laying around and it wouldn't shoot in my 260 so I figured what the hell. With 52g Hornady's, its surprisingly accurate.

I'll have to remember that!

The powder that takes the least amount, that would be RE7 or H4198. Though I usually only load 55s.

I have found TAC to be the best allround powder for 556. I load four different rounds. The most accurate proved to be 77 grain SMK on 24 grains of RL10.

I have had great success with xbr8208 from 52 to 75 grain in my Varminter. I have gotten all loads to shoot 0.6 MOA or better in variable temps. Easy to meter for me.
Hope that help.

Thanks

RG

Last edited:
Another vote for TAC...running 23.5gr for 69 SMK's and really happy with it.

Sorry for the ignorance (still learning my powders as they become relevant to what I load) but ramshot TAC and rl10 are
Different right?

Confused because name enough posted "tac best all around powder" then said most accurate was RL10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had great success with xbr8208 from 52 to 75 grain in my Varminter. I have gotten all loads to shoot 0.6 MOA or better in variable temps. Easy to meter for me.
Hope that help.

Thanks

RG

+1 on the 8208

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your gun is not over-gassed burn rate can make a big difference on whether it will function or not. some of the fast 223 powders like 1200r and 4198 have been well documented as having trouble running the action. in properly sprung gassed and buffered ar 15s. the pressure spike is too quick and causes short stroking. you know how one ar 15 will run wolf and the next one wont? this is the reason

I don't know what 1200r is, but 4198 is faster than H322, so it's not within the burn rate that I recommended. That said, Gorski uses it, so you might ask him.
Jim

Last edited: