• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

rookie with a few questions

G22inSC

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2008
South Carolina
I have shot and hunted for years but the only ranges I have ever been to were strictly 100 yards. My oldest boy is almost old enough to learn rimfire shooting and I have gotten the itch to really start shooting again. I am working on joining a local club that will provide a longer range (for me, not you'll) possibility as well as somewhere to safely teach the kids how to shoot.

I have custom 10/22s from years ago and a built .308 off a Savage with a McMillan stock and IOR 6x42 glass that is my deer rifle. I plan on picking up a single shot .22 to teach the boys with. I will have access to shoot out to 300 yards for now.

First question is about target size. What size targets should I be looking for/building for 100/200/300/etc. yards utilizing a 6X scope? I have no intention of changing scopes right now and can't shoot at what I can't see. I read somewhere where the military used 6"/13"/18" bulls at those distances, but I figure that is probably iron sights so a fixed 6X scope would not provide the same sight picture. What are appropriate bull sizes to use for these ranges?

Second question is about support equipment. I have never shot off a bipod or used a sling for anything other than carrying purposes. I have been noticing it seems that you either use a 1907/cuff type sling or go with a bipod. I am considering a Harris swivel 6"-9" bipod or either a Turner 1907 or TAB RAS sling. I have none of the before mentioned so which way should I go? Is one method better than the other for beginners or is it all personal preference?

I greatly appreciate any information you'll could provide for a rookie trying to learn. Thanks so much.

It really varies by the individual and what type of shooting you enjoy. I shoot off bags on a bench, bipods off bench, prone of bipod, sitting with sling and very little standing with sling. I have a tab sling and love it. I have a Harris bipod and an atlas bipod. I love the atlas and like the the Harris. I would be shooting at a 4" bull with 6x at 300 I believe.

Great to see another SC guy here. I'm outside Cola town.

Ryan

If you're interested in trying to shoot the best group you can then the trick would be to come up with a target which gives you a way to accurately place the cross hair of your 6x scope consistently. What I've found is to make a target which has a cross hair pattern in white and thick lines bracketing the white cross hair pattern. This will allow you to place your dark cross hair in the white area.

I find that a bold black square with a white open center very easy to line up the cross hairs.

There is a printable version somewhere here on the Hide. I can never find it, but it was developed for OCW work.