• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Round stuck in chamber after new LMT MWS barrel?

Oguruma

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
Texas
I just installed a new 18" barrel on my MWS. I went to shoot it for the first time and the round got stuck. When I released the charging handle to chamber a round, I did ride it forward, so the bolt didn't lock. I tried to pull back on the charging handle again, but it woulnt budge. I was able to gently pry the bolt back using a screwdriver and was able to remove the round. The bolt will lock and unlock just fine with no round in the chamber

Any ideas?

Re: Round stuck in chamber after new LMT MWS barrel?

Remove the barrel, check the chamber visually and by dropping a round in the chamber and compare it to your other barrel. I guess you could also see how the round-barrel-bolt interaction happens- maybe pull the firing pin to make sure nothing stupid happens (?). Mine as well take advantage of better access with the switch barrel?

You didn't get it to shoot?

Did you clean the chamber before the install?

You could carefully insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle end and tap it out. Be careful prying with a screwdriver.... You hit the primer and it's not a good day.

I got the round out of the chamber already. I did not clean the chamber before installing. I noticed that when I drop a round into the chamber of the old barrel the round will fall out when turned muzzle up. When I drop a round into the chamber of this one, it takes a bit of a shake to dislodge the round.

If you shot it and the spent round got stuck you can check the gas system. I realize I'm just stating the obvious but hopefully its something simple like that.

I didn't fire it. The bolt didn't engage all the way so I tried to recharge the weapon but the bolt didn't move.

Are those rounds reloads? The SS barrel has a tight chamber and needs aggressive full length sizing.

I bought this gauge just for the mws.

http://youtu.be/uhgWqrvdzrU

Nope not reloads. Ammo is prvi partizan m80 ball type ammo

I had the same thing happen with my 20" ss barrel even with the prvi match. No problems with Federal match, BH match, or my reloads and it IS accurate. You WILL be happy shooting the good stuff!

Sounds like a headspacing issue. Did you check headspace with your old bolt and new barrel?

I too had the same thing happen with my 18" SS with prvi. No probs with Hornady and Federal. I was unaware that this was a standard problems with SS barrels. Good to know

dont pry it if it happens again.
tap it out thru the bore with a dowel or cleaning rod and a mallet
i would check the headspace and save the prvi for a looser chamber