• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rounds stick in the chamber in my LR 308?

RangerDan25

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
Springfield Mo
Here is what is happening and I believe I know what the problem is but I want to see what ideas everyone else might have...

The problem is two things. 1st problem is rounds will sometimes fall out of the shell after being pressed. 2nd problem is I can't get the round out unless I shoot the bullet.

I believe the problem is with the neck not being pressed to the right size. Im using a RCBS die but do I need a match grade die for the DPMS LR 308SS. Or is it just a bad die?

Re: Rounds stick in the chamber in my LR 308?

How do you adjust the die so it will clamp the neck around the bullet better?

Hey, for what it's worth, you might get more responses if you move the post to the reloading forum. The guys reading/ responding there seem to have a lot of experience. So it might be worthwhile, just make sure you don't double-post but rather have the thread moved. Anyway, like I said, just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RangerDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st problem is rounds will sometimes fall out of the shell after being pressed. 2nd problem is I can't get the round out unless I shoot the bullet.</div></div>I am not familiar with the terminology you are using: 1) Do you mean the bullet won't stay in the case? 2) Do you mean that a loaded round jams in the chamber when the bolt is closed and can't be removed without firing it?

Correct! We thought at first it was the OAL untell one hand loaded bullet fell right out of the brass case. So we are sure it has to be the die is not set for the right neck size. Problem is I am not sure how to change that on a RCBS die?

Don't give up. I know what your talking about. I had the same problem with some of mine at first. The problem is that the die needs to be adjusted. You don't need a new die.

I take it the vid and the article didn't help you.

Start with the case in the holder and move it all the way up before putting in the die into the press. Tighten the press until it meets with the case. Move the handle back and tighten slightly. Check again. You will feel the neck being sized. if not tighten just slightly more and continue doing that until you feel it. Once you do. Use the allen wrench secure your die and you're in business.

Do this a few times and it becomes memory muscle.

If you can, go to Cabelas and have them explain. They normally do a Saturday or Sunday demo on reloading.

Hey, Radar

I didn't see your post last time. I guess I might of passed right over it. Thanks by the way!

hey one thing that i had happen when i started. i used a set of herters dies for 308. in my lake city brass i had no issues. when i started trying to reload hornady and black hills match i had an issue with the necks not being tight enough to hold a bullet. i bought a lee collet die to tighten them but eventually bought a set of RCBS and it solved the issue and would work with all of my brass

Which dies are you using? I switched to the small base dies for my 308 and that cured any issues. Might want to check into that, alot of guys use those for ar's. Makes it mucho bettero