• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RP or WIN brass?

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Curious if folks on the Hide prefer RP or WIN brass for their rifles, and why they prefer what they do.

I'm also curious for opinions on if its "worth it" to use Lapua brass over RP or WIN brass in a non-competition bolt-action 223.

Re: RP or WIN brass?

For real tight shooting the Lapua is very well worth it. If your going for as accurate as possible Lapua should be gone over but it mics and weighs a lot closer them either Win or Rem. May be a little more expensive but I shoot bench rest and to me it is more then worth the extra.

Depends on the caliber. Until recently, R/P for example is the only commercially available 260 brass. Sure, before you could reform Lapua 243 or WW 7=08, but then again why, if you are getting good groups?

Hide members: don't blast me, I know, the Remmy 260 brass was all over the place, but for me, after sorting and BR prep, it worked fine. .38 on the average with a GAP Bartlein set up with Dillon ammo. I am happy.

In the end, IMHO, a large part of the brass issue is up to you. If you have more confidence shooting .2 groups with Lapua and not witt anything else, so be it.

It went down the same road in .308 and tried literally everything, including those rare Remy SR primed BR 308 brass and BR loading techniques. Found BR prepped LC 79 (not match) gave me consistent .38 groups at 100 on a Dillon 550. I spoke with Derrick Martin about this awhile back and he wrote an article about this in Precision Shooting. I'll lookk for the link.

Since I unfortunately have to work , I try to shoot more and reload less. I feel sacriligeous, but the need to eat every day overides the need to do otherwise. Its a bitch having to work everyday, who thought of the five day a week work schedule?

Reloading is fun and the BR stuff I'll explore when I retire soon.

YMMV. GL. 5 out of 7 days to work? WTF? Where is the balance??? I need to perfect my offhand and reloads!

Been using Win brass lately and it does pretty well. Although when i opened up the bag and started going through it there were a couple that were tore up to bad for me to load. And before i worked the casings over the mouths on them were pretty rough.

Reforming 7-08 or 243 brass, why?

For me it's a zero sum question, since I normally F/L resize all my brass, whether it's Rem .260, or Win/Rem 7-06/243. I don't open and go with virgin brass. Learned that lesson once when I got to a match and about a third of the danged ammo wouldn't chamber.

My preference for .260 is to start with Win 7-08.

For .308 or .30-'06 I use Win/Rem/Fed, with Fed being my least a favorite. I think the Fed primer pockets open wider earlier.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on the caliber. Until recently, R/P for example is the only commercially available 260 brass. Sure, before you could reform Lapua 243 or WW 7=08, but then again why, if you are getting good groups </div></div>

RP is not the only choice for off the shelf 260 brass, Norma Nosler Remington and now Lapua, as for 7-08, simply FL resizing Win 7-08 makes it 260, and after normal prep it shoots just fine, and last 2-3 times longer than RP 260 brass, while costing less.

IMHO Winchester is way better than Remington brass, YMMV!

I have even used Federal .260 Rem hunting loads, made with Fed headstamped brass, but that was nearly a decade ago

for my .223s its either WIN brass or Lapua.the RP brass seemes to be thinner and dosn't hold up as well or group as good as the others.

Once you do some basic brass prep, WIN is as accurate as my Lapua brass in .308. In fact I shot my last 3 TAC matches using Win over Lapua because I've been getting such good results.

I think in the end Lapua may last a bit longer, but at almost double the price I'm not sure I'll get double the life. Sorry, I have no experience with Rem brass.

For my bolt action .223 I use Win brass, for my .308 I use RP brass.
It depends if you are plinking or shooting targets and want really tiny groups. If you are after tiny groups there are so many variables to be looking at besides the brand of brass. For just plinking, almost any brass will work, just sort it out and only use one kind when you work up a load for it.
Enjoy.
SScott