• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RP Rifles 6.5x47

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
I've been shooting my .223 with pointed 82 bergers at every club and PRS match that I have participated in over the past year and a half. I have about 3500 rounds down that rifle, and it still bugholes like no other rifle I own. However, it finally became apparent that the downrange energy isn't enough for spotters to consistently call impacts. Compound the spotting problem with wind that is similar (slightly better) than a 308/155 combo, and it felt about right to make a change to 6.5mm's.

I ran the .223 at the Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge this year, and was blessed to walk away with the top .223 award and a brand new Tikka T3 Tactical courtesy of my buddy Tate Moots and Beretta USA...both of whom are extremely generous, and great ambassadors to the shooting sports. I figured now was as good a time as any to make my move, so I called up Bugholes and had a Bartlein 8.5 Twist HV contour on the way. Manners had a T6 in stock, with a Tikka inlet, so that was soon on the way as well. Tikka Performance had a 20moa Rail, a metal bolt shroud, and CDI bottom metal in stock...so we were in business relatively rapidly.

Aaron Roberts (Roberts Precision Rifles - Aaron Roberts Houston Texas Riflesmith Gunsmith) did the gunsmithing, and he most definitely did not disappoint. There a lot of gunsmiths out there, but few who take the time to walk you through the processes involved, communicate throughout the build process with pictures and videos, and are efficient enough to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. I can't recommend him and his shop enough. Just an all around great guy.

TAB Gear is making a TCU purple sling for me.

Turning down the Bartlein barrel HV contour to match the Tikka Action...

A bit of a barrel polish after...

This is a Heavy Varmint contour, so he bedded front of the recoil lug a bit more:

Surefire Brake, and the rifle finished at 24". I prefer the blasted barrel over paint since this will need re barreling in a year:

The first five out of the gun at 37.5 Varget and 123 SMK:

Three shots with 38.5 Varget, 123 SMK, 2880...I'm hoping it speeds up a bit, but I'm calling load development over with:

Any idea what the freebore was on the reamer. Im wanting to set one up to run 123smks but not sure what freebore to go with

Very nice! out of a 24.5" tube/123sk/37.5gr Varget I get 2940fps so I guess it may speed up abit. Either way, Enjoy!

Any idea what the freebore was on the reamer. Im wanting to set one up to run 123smks but not sure what freebore to go with

I have no idea, unfortunately. Give Aaron a call, he's a great guy to talk too.

So confused...still seem to be handicapping yourself with 123gr pills there Pipes. Are you trying to keep recoil down or something? Why not throw 140gr bullets...if the caliber is holding you back why go with it at all?

So confused...still seem to be handicapping yourself with 123gr pills there Pipes. Are you trying to keep recoil down or something? Why not throw 140gr bullets...if the caliber is holding you back why go with it at all?

How are the 123's a handicap? I'm assuming you've run the numbers yourself, rather than just throwing that comment out there....but if you haven't, then here they are:

123 SMK @2880 assuming 10mph 3:00 wind and a 2500 DA:
300 - 1.0/.5
500 - 2.6/.8
800 - 5.7/1.4
1000 - 8.4/1.9

140 Hybrid @ 2750 assuming 10mph 3:00 wind and a 2500 DA:
300 - 1.1/.4
500 - 2.7/.8
800 - 5.8/1.3
1000 - 8.3/1.7

Given the actual data, how am I at a handicap using a 123 over a 140? Especially when 97% of points are inside of 800 at most matches? How about the recoil difference in 140's vs 123's when we are shooting off barricades or in funky positions? What about the availability of the 123 class of bullets as compared to the 140 class of bullets in this component run that we've been fighting through? Or that 123's shoot exceptionally well in a 6.5x47 as compared to most other bullets, and are easy to keep in tune?

I ran the numbers in my 6.5 Creed a while back, even bought 500 123gr SMK to play with (for sale now if you are looking for some btw, have 470 left). You should be using at least 2800fps for the Hybrid, I can't imagine getting less than that with an aftermarket barrel unless you got a bad one. My rig does 2820fps with a medium charge that is nowhere near hot. Using your values though, .2 mils difference at 1K is 7 inches, that is a big deal to me. .1 mil difference at 800 is still around 3 inches.

I couldn't tell the difference in recoil between 123gr to 140gr, your shoulder is likely more calibrated than mine though.

You are definitely correct on component availability, but I think there is a good reason why the 140gr are sold out more often than the lighter stuff.

If you chose caliber first and then the bullet then I can see why you would go with the 123gr pills. Not the way I would go about things but to each his own.

I imagine going from a .223 to the 6.5x47 you will kick some serious ass either way.

Did you drop four rifles for Aaron to work on? Jose is waiting for his 300 win mag to get done lol

Did you drop four rifles for Aaron to work on? Jose is waiting for his 300 win mag to get done lol

I wish I had 4 rifles in the works. Jose has some nice components for that 300wm, and I want to shoot it when complete because i think it would be a great Oklahoma wind gun!

Last edited:
Mr Pipes is a small guy, and recoil sensitive. Jokin sir but thats a looking nice rifle!! Josh please stop bothering Aaron with your ideas so he can get working on my short barreled WinMag. Let me know when we can meet up for se trigger time .

Hey, you owe me royalties!! my rifle stock was in the group photo on the bench. I am about a week away from my 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifle that Aaron is working on. It is my second from him. I had him build me a 308 on his action and it is a tac driver. Can't wait to see the new one. I am left handed and both that he did for me are lefties. I am expecting my call this next week to go pick it up and I am getting pumped!
Aaron is so detail oriented that you can't get anything but great stuff from him. He loves what he does and we get to reap the benefits from it!!

Marcus

Looks good. I've been looking for someone to do some work (mainly rebarrel and a little fit n finish) on my Tikka. I may have to give them a call.

No doubt this rifle shoots, but I DEFINITELY shoot it better suppressed. Here are the targets after bumping the charge weight a bit, and screwing on the Thunderbeast 30p-1:

This is at 100 yards, three shots, 123 SMK/38.7 Varget/Wolf SRM/.020" jump. That's a 3" shoot and see, with a 1" bull.

3 shots at 300 yards, 6-8 crosswind from 3:00. That's a 2" shoot and see.

I've finally found a rifle that I like as much as my .223, and it's more accurate too. I'm all set. Thanks Aaron!