• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR barrel

daleo8803

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2014
My dad has a RPR in 223. He was wanting to know what it would take to swap it to 224 valkyrie. I know he would have to have a barrel made, could I get my Smith open the bolt face up for the 224? Or would you have to buy a new bolt? Also what about the mags? Thanks

I recently installed a 6.5 Creedmore barrel in my RPR .308. Using headspace gauges and barrel clamp/armorer's vice it was very easy to do. Since the 6.5 Creedmore round's parent case was the .308 the original bolt and magazines worked great! What you propose is a bit more difficult a competent machinist could rechamber the .223 barrel to the Valkyrie but I imagine it would be a similar cost to just buy a barrel already chambered for the Valkyrie. Plus you could change it back in the future if you wanted. As far as magazines go the RPR uses standard AR type mags and actually comes with pmags. (.308 &.6.5 Creedmore) You can use 6.8 spc as well as metal .204 magazines although you have to tweak the lips a little. As far as the bolt face goes I'm pretty sure the .223 bolt can't be made to work and like the barrel it's probably no more expensive to buy one if it could. Now finding one may be a different story considering the newness of the Valkyrie chambering. The 6.8 spc the Valkyrie is based on used the .30 Remington for the parent case. Maybe that will at least get you pointed in the right direction. *UPDATE* I was mistaken the .308 & 6.5 Creedmore do indeed use the 7.62x51 Pmag but apparently the .223 RPR uses a proprietary magazine with longer c.o.a.l. length. Thanks to jrh84 for the heads up.

Last edited:
The .223 RPR does not use AR mags. The mags it comes with are not p-mags...the oal capacity is more like 2.550" vs. 2.260" of a normal AR mag.

The .223 RPR does not use AR mags. The mags it comes with are not p-mags...the oal capacity is more like 2.550" vs. 2.260" of a normal AR mag.
Thanks for the clarification. I've only owned the .308 and 6.5 Creedmore RPR which come with 7.62x51 Pmags. I made an assumption. My mistake.

Thanks for the clarification. I've only owned the .308 and 6.5 Creedmore RPR which come with 7.62x51 Pmags. I made an assumption. My mistake.
That's actually good to know. I single feed heavy bullet handloads in my .223 Wylde chambered AR15 and I can stretch accurate hits out of it out to about 800 yards that way but that magazine length issue is one reason I never really considered the .223 RPR. This sheds new light on the subject for me.

No worries. I got mine for the ability to mag-feed 80's and 90's for high power matches. I'm guessing a lot of people assume it uses AR mags, and potentially shy away from it for that reason.
I believe its actually built on the same receiver as the short action calibers (.308, 6.5, and 6 Creedmoor), just a different barrel andnmag setup.

Very cool. I recently built a 224 Valkyrie to do the same thing, mag feed 80.5gn Berger and 90gn SMK bullets while still being able to seat the bullets just off the lands. I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a .223 RPR now. Thanks again.