• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR Basic Upgrade Ideas (?)

GS455

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Nashville
Forgot I was a member here and have little experience in "Precision Rifle" world. Definitely a noob.

I’m mainly a milsurp collector/shooter. Love DMRs and scope what I can for my old eyes. A couple years ago my wife got me a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. Finally spent some time with it after breaking in the barrel with a buddy. Not being accustomed to modern “precision shooting“ equipment it really did impress surpassing all else I have. Has printed sub 1 inch groups, can easily hit 12” steel at 400yds and not hard to take out clays laying on a 200yd berm using some old 168gr match ammo from Georgia Arms.
I am REALLY not nuts about the butt-stock. I’m 6’3” (a bit chubby) with pretty long arms. The locking levers for adjustments are a bit kludgy and it’s just uncomfortable overall. I’m very happy with the scope I’m using but would like to make some minor upgrades. Read a bit on the phone this morning and found a video of some custom shop guys talking about some basic upgrades.

•I’m fine with the current hand-guard float tube
•I’m also fine with the stock trigger for now, although, it’s WAY lighter (almost scary) than anything I own.
•They were saying the stock brake is lousy at being a brake. I will say it ssure is loud pushes my eyeballs in when standing back off to the side. Improvements here?
•They were also talking about a better bolt handle that doesn’t cause you to grind your knuckles into the scope when cycling. Not really noticing that wi my set up. Ideas ?
•I think they said a Magpul Precision Rifle Stock was recommended. Is this a standard “given”? This one is a biggie for me. Interested in options here.
- Pistol grip ?

Other ideas?

There is an entire RPR thread. It’s pinned in the bolt action section. I suggest reading the whole thing.

having said that, if you have big gangly arms the magpul prs gen 3 is a fine choice. I have it on my RPR. Pistol grip is subjective. The bolt problem you deal with can’t be changed by changing the handle, it’s a function of how the bolt works and the gun is designed. You’ll just need to practice running it. All brakes are noise monsters. Some worse than others. Get a silencer.

-Remove factory trigger spring.
-Anarchy Outdoors bolt knob.

Yea just saw that RPR sticky. Phew ! 6k posts on 112 pages. Guess I've got a lot of bed time phone-reading to do.

I've wanted to invest in a suppressor for a while now. F'n crazy money (what the !!!). I figured they were 200-300 bucks. Plus the cost of adapter muzzle devices you gotta get for all the other rifles you want to use it with? Dang ! I have a Trust for an SBR'd Draco I did years ago. Gonna look into going down that road.

I tried my buddy’s GemTech ONE a while back. It was sweet. No ears needed when shooting. I asked him about groups opening up. He said the groups stay tight, rather, the POI may drift causing you to adjust elevation or windage a skootch when shooting suppressed. His drifts left on his RPR in 6.5Cr .

The stock is fine if I set and forget. But when we need to make adjustments for another shooter it sucks. Then getting it back to my positioning sucks all over again.

Been reading about vertical pistol grips with thumb rest.

Since my OP I was out to the range last weekend and I have decided to order a Precision Rifle Stock from Magpul. The stock stock is just not for me. Kludgy and not getting LOP I think I need.

I like the trigger but I also prefer a 2-stage experience so I also ordered a Timney trigger - just because.

I’m fine with the bolt handle for the time being. Not ramming my wrist into the scope.

I do have a Gun Trust already and I’d like to get into a suppressor at some point but I’d want to move it between a few rifles so getting the same format Muzzle devices for several rifles including the cost of a suppressor is an expense I’m going to need to research. I shot my buddy’s 6.5cr RPR with a Gemtech ONE and it was killer. Might look at that route down the road.

Barrel? Frankly I can’t shoot more than 400yds at my range and I’m just thrilled I can hit a 6” steel plate @ 400 and pick off clays laying on the berm at 200 most of the time. Not an expense I would foresee as necessary unless this hobby really takes hold of me and I try and get out to an800-1,200 yard range (about an hour away). As it is I have a hard time dealing with my heartbeat through the scope I have (need to take a class).

Presently I am using ARMS #22 low throw rings. I have no problem achieving a site picture with riser set lowest but is there any advantage in getting the scope a little higher up? I believe I have some higher rings laying around.

Reactions: Carlos Danger
Since my OP I was out to the range last weekend and I have decided to order a Precision Rifle Stock from Magpul. The stock stock is just not for me. Kludgy and not getting LOP I think I need.

I like the trigger but I also prefer a 2-stage experience so I also ordered a Timney trigger - just because.

I’m fine with the bolt handle for the time being. Not ramming my wrist into the scope.

I do have a Gun Trust already and I’d like to get into a suppressor at some point but I’d want to move it between a few rifles so getting the same format Muzzle devices for several rifles including the cost of a suppressor is an expense I’m going to need to research. I shot my buddy’s 6.5cr RPR with a Gemtech ONE and it was killer. Might look at that route down the road.

Barrel? Frankly I can’t shoot more than 400yds at my range and I’m just thrilled I can hit a 6” steel plate @ 400 and pick off clays laying on the berm at 200 most of the time. Not an expense I would foresee as necessary unless this hobby really takes hold of me and I try and get out to an800-1,200 yard range (about an hour away). As it is I have a hard time dealing with my heartbeat through the scope I have (need to take a class).

Presently I am using ARMS #22 low throw rings. I have no problem achieving a site picture with riser set lowest but is there any advantage in getting the scope a little higher up? I believe I have some higher rings laying around.
Let us know how the Timney works out. Barrel swaps are a breeze. I've done probably 4-5 and get them in about 40 minutes. I have a 1000 yd range about 2.25 hours from me. Worth the drive.

20210614_093937.jpg

Upright more comfortable/natural head posture which would then position your eyeballs/pupil more centered in your orbital socket theoretically creating better alignment between your eyeball and the scope lenses.

With rings that are too low on the RPR, you end up tilting your head down and then using your eyeballs to "look up" in order to see through the optic.

It all depends on your skull shape but generally AR height scope rings (1.40" to 1.55" base to center) work better on an RPR than typical low or medium rings.

Reactions: GS455
Get a 30 cal can that you can swap from the RPR to anything less.
There are alot of Suppressor makers now, now you will have to go down that rabbit hole to see which one you need(want).
Bhybonce cry once, having been around alot of them the TBAC are stupid quiet.
Although I don't own one of them yet.

I did order a Magpul PRS for my wife (to give me for Christmas - LOL). I forgot where but I think I read I'm going to have to get a buffer tube and spring for it ? True? Which to get. Doesn't mention on the Magpul site.

I did order a Magpul PRS for my wife (to give me for Christmas - LOL). I forgot where but I think I read I'm going to have to get a buffer tube and spring for it ? True? Which to get. Doesn't mention on the Magpul site.
You can use a carbine buffer tube or a full length rifle tube. No spring necessary.

some sweet steal flat plates for each side of the barrel it makes it stand out and stay put .