• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR rebarrel will not group!

Starrett67

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2021
Cleburne Tx
Hello I just replaced my stock RPR barrel with a Criterion 26” 8 twist! I can’t get it to group for anything! I am using the same load that i used for the previous barrel. 41.6g H4350, Lapua brass, BR2 primers with 140g Eldm. The brass has been annealed! Am I going to have to do a new load development?

• Haha
Reactions: Jmccracken1214
How many rounds so far?
Have you checked headspace, and how far the bullets are seated off the lands of the rifling?

Hell of a first post

Yes you have to redevelop your load

In fact you could be into the lands just using old reloads and not knowing where the lands are on a new barrel. Which isn’t safe

I typically measure lands on a new barrel and load 20-30 thousand off that number. I use a powder load close to what has worked in the past and start with that till am ready to develop for that particular barrel.

I keep hoping this is a joke thread, but here we are...

Yes, you do load development every time you rebarrel. No, you don't just toss a load that worked in a previous chamber into your new barrel and call it good. That's just a recipe for disaster. I don't think 41.6 grains of H4350 is going to grenade your action or chamber, but as someone else pointed out, you could be jamming the bullet into the lands, which would increase your pressure and velocities.

Seems communication skills have been obliterated in the US.

My car does not drive I put Mobil gas in it and Goodyear tires and waxed it, so what is wrong?

Does not group, 5 inches MOA at 100 yards is a group so it does group.