• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing RPR Receiver Drawings

Macht

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2014
WY
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but it seemed the most appropriate: Does anyone here have a SolidWorks/Inventor model of a Ruger Precision Rifle upper receiver that they would be willing to share? I'm doing some finite element modeling of rifle barrels for my PhD, and I need to include a portion of the action in my model. I may end up drawing from scratch, but I thought I would check just to be sure.

I would be surprised if anyone is going to give you a model that they might have and you would still have to validate how accurate it is. For the amount of receiver needed to analyze a barrel do you need the whole thing? The front ring back to the loading port ought to give you plenty to work from, with or without some symmetry BC's worked into the tail end of the cut slice.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought it was worth asking. I wouldn't actually need a solid model, just drawings, since I'll be generating the geometry by script in Abaqus/CAE anyway. I don't need the whole receiver, about the amount you described. I wouldn't include the loading port, and I don't think I'd use any symmetry conditions. It's really only needed to reinforce the chamber area and give me a place to apply BC's to restrain rigid body modes. Since it's an explicit model the rigid body modes normally wouldn't matter, but I'm using a gravity load to induce barrel droop, so I need to resist vertical translation at least.

That's pretty easy overall, unfortunately I don't have that much of it modeled
I miss CAE, I've been using Solidworks COSMOS Advanced for about 5 years and while it's a lot better than it was I miss some of the more advanced functionality in CAE.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought it was worth asking. I wouldn't actually need a solid model, just drawings, since I'll be generating the geometry by script in Abaqus/CAE anyway. I don't need the whole receiver, about the amount you described. I wouldn't include the loading port, and I don't think I'd use any symmetry conditions. It's really only needed to reinforce the chamber area and give me a place to apply BC's to restrain rigid body modes. Since it's an explicit model the rigid body modes normally wouldn't matter, but I'm using a gravity load to induce barrel droop, so I need to resist vertical translation at least.

You might try contacting Ruger, as it is for a school project they might be willing to provide either some solid models or some prints. Of course like LRI you would probably have to sign an NDA. At least that is how things work in the Automotive industry.

Good luck getting that from ruger - I spent 20 minutes explaining to the customer service lady what a scope base was last week for the RPR! Best of luck with the PhD.

Good luck getting that from ruger - I spent 20 minutes explaining to the customer service lady what a scope base was last week for the RPR! Best of luck with the PhD.

Trying to go through CS is probably a mistake for what he is after. Go through Linked In or something to try and find someone in ENG.

Or maybe talk to LRI and see if he will give you a contact with ENG.

Youngstown state university. The professor in this video is an engineer of some sort for Ruger. Might take some leg work but you could call the university and talk with him and see if that would grant you some access to what your looking for. Just a thought

Thanks for the replies! I'll try and follow up on a couple of the ideas listed here.