• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA Coyote and Operator 2 Opinions

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Opinions wanted on quality of Rock River Arms Operator 2 and Coyote Rifles. I have been offered both for sale or trade. Buy or trade for 1 or pass on both.Both are NIB.

Re: RRA Coyote and Operator 2 Opinions

RRA's Operator 2 is nicely built and good value. I have one of the carbine length gas models. Which one are you looking at?

+'s
    Nice stock, good cheek weld, storage, position changing for shoulder pocket
    Good factory trigger
    Thick heavy barrels, even under guards
    Front flip sight gas block, includes rear sight assembly
    Chrome bolt and carrier
    Ergo grip
    Enlarged trigger guard
    Muzzle break is good
    Free floating rails

* multiple sling attachments on gas block are pretty worthless
    Note: All of the operator 2 series are fairly heavy

I'd say if you're around $900 new you're doing well...
    I believe general consensus is They are very accurate for the money-
    RRA guarantees 1 Moa or lower. People report better

Good luck-

I have a choice of both I mentioned. Price for either NIB is $1000.
    Thanks for the reply.

What configurations are they in? <span style="color: #FF0000">edit: sorry, didn't process that you had the option to choose. For the coyote, there are options beyond the barrel length. The difference in the operator series is the hand guard and gas block length. Sorry for the confusion.</span>

If the same price... The coyote will be a better deal. It retails for slightly more and is designed to be a bit more accurate; they claim at least 3/4moa for that line.

Operator 2 comes in three different configurations
    -tactical
    -entry
    -elite

Coyote comes in 16" and 20" in multiple configurations. $1,185, $1,235 respectively for starting retail price before configuration. It is also chambered in 223 Wylde

This is RRA's description if your not familiar with it:
    "The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

For whatever its worth, I paid just a hair over $900 for mine new some time ago. Retail is $1050 per set configuration. Street prices may have gone up since then.

They are completely different rifles, if its just an extra and you had no preference to style the coyote probably be a better deal for the money. I'd double check street price, I don't remember what I last saw them going for.

Everyone I know that owns Rock River Ar's holds them in high regard (including myself).
    Most specifically good reports from these series-
    Operator 2
    ATH
    Predator Pursuit
    Coyote

I owned the Entry and it was a great gut, but very heavy.

I own a couple different models from RRA. All shoot and operate extremely well. For a grand you are not getting a sweet deal. That is about normal pricing. You just need to decide what model suits your needs. As stated above the coyote model is the better deal, but not if it isn't what you want. Both will operate flawlessly.

Thanks guys, the Coyote is it. I am picking it up tomorrow.

Santo,

If you got the rifle how's it look, did it come with the chrome bolt and carrier?
    What's your plans with it? Glass etc...

Hope everything worked out-

Have the Predator Pursuit 20" with PRS stock, ambi safety & mag. release and as stated above, quality is very good. Shoots well and am pleased with the RRA line. My vote would go with the Coyote also . . . JaxOps

ATH carbine. Best of all worlds. Really.

I have an operator and an LMT LM8 and love the Operator for the money that it cost. Great gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Santo,

If you got the rifle how's it look, did it come with the chrome bolt and carrier?

Hope everything worked out- </div></div>

It has the chromed bolt and carrier, 20" barrel 1:9 twist with flash hider. Looks great but it just turned cold here in the mountains of central AZ so it will be a while before I shoot it. I will most probably put a Nightforce 5.5-22X50 in a PEPR mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Santo,

It has the chromed bolt and carrier, 20" barrel 1:9 twist with flash hider. Looks great but it just turned cold here in the mountains of central AZ so it will be a while before I shoot it. I will most probably put a Nightforce 5.5-22X50 in a PEPR mount. </div></div>

Nice.

Love the smell of a new Rock River... Smothered in a quart of G96 in its bag. Most RR are fairly high gassed, and run quick, just a heads up. The a2 operator stock is also nice, I have one as well.

Sounds like excellent glass choice for the top.

Hope it serves you well-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Santo,

It has the chromed bolt and carrier, 20" barrel 1:9 twist with flash hider. Looks great but it just turned cold here in the mountains of central AZ so it will be a while before I shoot it. I will most probably put a Nightforce 5.5-22X50 in a PEPR mount. </div></div>

Nice.

Love the smell of a new Rock River... Smothered in a quart of G96 in its bag. Most RR are fairly high gassed, and run quick, just a heads up. The a2 operator stock is also nice, I have one as well.

Sounds like excellent glass choice for the top.

Hope it serves you well- </div></div>

To paraphrase a quote from "Apocalypse Now," I love the smell of G96 in the morning it smells like victory
    cool.gif

Thanks to everyone who helped me make a decision.