• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA LAR-8 Predator HP 308 - 20" Barrel

chenha

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Nevada
I would like to get feedback on this weapon:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=460

I am looking for a battle rifle that can shoot 1 moa or slightly better and engage targets comfortably in the 300-600 yrd range. I also have a Yankee Hill Suppressor that I will use most of the time. I want to also be able to double up and use this rifle for some basic hunting needs.

I currently have a FNAR. I bought this a year ago because of its sub MOA reputation, 5 or 20 round mags, and reasonable weight. It is a very accurate weapon, but not really a battle rifle-no flip up front sight capability, breakdown is very tedious and finding someone to thread it for a suppressor is difficult, and if I do, i will void the warranty on the barrel. This is more of a police rifle.

I have read reviews and it seems the RRA LAR 8 Predator HP holds up to its claim of 1 MOA and many people have done better. Granted this is a traditional gas system, but its price on GB is ~$1400. I have seen people talking about the piston REPR, KAC, LMT, POF, LWRC, GAP, etc. which are >$2500 and up and are 4-7 lbs heavier, and/or bulkier. However, they also seem to be a bit more accurate. LaRue OBR seems to deliver very good sub-moa accuracy, but starts at >$3000 as well and is traditional gas design. Here is one for $3400 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184548780

I know that the RRA is not designed for compatibility with parts, but that does not important to me--there are ways to upgrade its rail, trigger, and get a PRS Stock if desired. It takes FAL mags when can also be ordered in 20 round or even 5 round for hunting. For $2000 less am i making a big mistake in getting the RRA LAR-8 and should I just save up for one of those other systems? Or am i right on target for its use or range, weight, and the desire to carry it around the mountains hunting the occasional deer? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: RRA LAR-8 Predator HP 308 - 20" Barrel

I recently purchased a POF 308 20". I seriously considered the RRA. One of the reasons I didn't go that route is the cost to upgrade the items you mentioned. You can do the rail,stock and trigger as you stated, but when you start adding it up the cost difference is much less. Haveing said that from reviews the RRA seems to be a solid platform. You might want to look for the standard operator model. The upgrades are most likely less than what you would pay to do it after purchase.

I have a stadard LAR-8A4 flat top with the free float handguard. After running a Tubbs finishing kit through the Wilson barrel it shoots .400-.75" groups with 168-175gr handloads. I like the rifle.

I'm also building a DPMS format rifle with a 24" barrel to shoot 1000 yds I kinda like the DPMS mags alittle better than the FAL. But the FAL's are working fine

i like the quality and build/technology of what the POF has to offer. THe only issue that I have is that the rail seems very bulky and seems like it may be akward to hold without a verticle forgrip. Anyone have any feedback on the 20" barrel POF 308 and ?Alos, most models come with the Vltor stock. I would still have to get a Magpul PRS or equivalent--is the PRS compatible?

DPMS seems to have a few different products that would work:
Panther™ 7.62NATO Mark 12.(9.5lbs) DPMS: $1,709.00- none on GB
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5758
Panther™ LRT-SASS. (11.5lbs) DPMS: $2,119.00 - $1900 on GB
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1999&cat=1940
Panther™ REPR. (9.5lbs) DPMS: $2,519.00 - none on GB
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5758

These are all 18" barrels, claim sub MOA accuracy. I can't really see the difference betweeen them other than triggers and sights. The interesting thing is that it says 18inches with flahs hider (does this mean it is actually less than 18inches?)

RRA Standard Operator. (9.0lbs) RRA: $1700 - none on GB
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=401

what type of MOA did it shoot before changing out the barrel? Which DPMS model are you looking at in the 24"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chenha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like the quality and build/technology of what the POF has to offer. THe only issue that I have is that the rail seems very bulky and seems like it may be akward to hold without a verticle forgrip. Anyone have any feedback on the 20" barrel POF 308 and ?Alos, most models come with the Vltor stock. I would still have to get a Magpul PRS or equivalent--is the PRS compatible?
</div></div>

I had the PRS installed before it was sent to me and IMO that is the way to go on the 20". The rail looks bulkier in pictures than it really is(imo). I thought that might be an issue, but it is not at all.

I cannot vouch for the RRA's but I have nothing but good to say about the predecessor--the Bushmaster BAR10. I own one I bought used-A2 configuration, 20" bbl. I put a Bushnell 5-15X Legend mildot on top of the carry handle. It shot a .362" 3-shot group at 100 yds with run-of-the-mill 145gr FMJ's from Widener's. (I can't figure out how to post pics.) I am not a sniper by any stretch of the imagination and have not tested it past 200 yds, but it has easily stayed below MOA within that range. I would not hesitate to purchase the RRA if I were you, and if you bought it AND one of the high dollar ones you mentioned I'm sure you would be very hard pressed to find that extra 1000-dollars-worth of accuracy/performance. JMHO

I own a lar-8 a4 version I picked it up for 1050.00 out the door. if your wanting to change things then this maybe a better route. I put a prs stock on mine and some non free floated rails and after a few trips afield off they came and back went the standard furniture. that stuff is just not practical in the woods I roam . if you are going to use the gun for strictly bench work then a free float tube would be great to wring every ounce of accuracy out of the rifle possible . I can get 5 shot groups inside a mans head at 300 yds on a silhouette target, 4-5 inches shooting ball ammo . for me thats good enough to use for a battle/hunting rifle . I use a 3x10 weaver tactical scope . which brings up another issue to shoot sub moa at longer distance you will need more glass and that may or may not lend its self to a practical hunting / battle rifle as you stated. I dont know how good of a shot you are but for me my eyes need help past 200 yds . just some food for thought . by the way my rra has been 100% reliable

I have two of the rock rivers in 223 and one DPMS LR 308 and they all shoot sub moa. The rock river varmint in 24" shoots 1/2" or better consistently. The 24" DPMS shoots 1/2" with hand loads. I don't think I would want to hump it around long distance but for a perimeter rifle or such it shoots to beat the band. It was one built for a border patrol agent in AZ seems they are not issued long guns to agents, and they placed an order for 9 and one fell through, I got that one, 24" Fluted barrel, two stage trigger, Magpul PRS stock, brass deflector, and dust cover, All for $900.00 dollars was a sweet find:)

I have a RRA LAR-8 20" and with Fed GMM 168's it does 1/2"- 3/4" when I do my part. With LC ball it shoots just over 1" at 100.
I bought it used, unfired with a PRS stock and change to the plastic forend to a free float tube ordered direct from RR and added a SEI brake.
I also dressed the trigger up a little.
I've never had a problem with cheap FAL mags either.

Barrels play hard on this here is my comparison and suggestion.
Have a howa m1500 with dpms SASS barrel mounted. Cryogenic steel heavy flute
have a FNAR heavy. hammer forged chrome linned
have a RRA predator hp. cryogenic steel chrome lined

Best consistency cold bore on is the FNAR. If sights are an issue id suggest the FNAR competition. Has a mount barrel forward. Believe can be had for around 1700. I understand colors may not be wanted in this case but cerakote is fairly inexpensive. For threading i suggest Gordon at ShortActionCustoms.com. If you really want to deviate from FNAR, I do love the RRA lar8 solid contender using FAL mags and FAL bolt drop, big plus and the chrome lining a positive. I do like the Dpms panthers but since the Remington acquisition and the removal of cryo im a bit iffy anymore.

I loved my Predator HP. It loved the 168 grn Hornady AMax TAP, consistently sub moa. Sold it to my Chief and I bought a POF 20 inch barrel and a better scope (upgrade from Burris XTR to NightForce 3.5x15 NXS). Only a couple hundred rounds down the barrel, but so far not as consistent as the RRA.

Y'all do realize this thread is like...YEARS old??
Long as someone gets info out of it carry on, just thought I'd point that out.