• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RRS 22I or two vets QDT

Z06pilot

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2017
Usa
I am looking at the 22I and the QDT tripods for PRS. Mostly spotting with the SLC 15s, some rear support some tripod shooting. I like the strength of the qdt, but i like the inverted legs of the 22I. I plan on either the TA3 leveling base or the anvil 30. Is the anvil as sturdy as the leveling base? I have used the TA3 (which I liked) before but not the anvil.

If you can afford RRS, then RRS is the answer.

I've got a TFCT-33 (3 section legs with fixed Anvil) and the Anvil is stupid sturdy. A ball head is a little easier/smoother for spotting, but the Anvil is the king when it comes to shooting off it.

Reactions: Dobermann and RRW
If you can afford RRS, then RRS is the answer.

I've got a TFCT-33 (3 section legs with fixed Anvil) and the Anvil is stupid sturdy. A ball head is a little easier/smoother for spotting, but the Anvil is the king when it comes to shooting off it.
What are your thoughts specifically to the 22I compared to the 33 series for prs.

What are your thoughts specifically to the 22I compared to the 33 series for prs.

For a purely dedicated match tripod, I think the 22i is a winner. That said, I use mine for other stuff (coyote hunting, photography, spotting, etc) so the more compact collapsed state of the 33 works better for me.

I’m bias of course but I wouldn’t base it off the strength ratings. RRS typically under rates the capacity and the capacity ratings have no industry standard process.

As an example we have stood sideways on the smallest tube RRS offers in between two cement blocks. But the rating for some of those 1 series tripods is 35 lbs ish. So grain of salt type of thing.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I’m bias of course but I wouldn’t base it off the strength ratings. RRS typically under rates the capacity and the capacity ratings have no industry standard process.

As an example we have stood sideways on the smallest tube RRS offers in between two cement blocks. But the rating for some of those 1 series tripods is 35 lbs ish. So grain of salt type of thing.
I suppose there is more than merely tube size. The tolerance of the machined components will make a substantial difference in wobble. In that respect, I would think the RRS is #1. Done deal 22I with anvil 30. Thanks for the input.

What are 2 section tripods like in the field?
I mocked up a 22i with my current tripod (set legs to the minimum height of the 22i) and had the impression that the lowest height was kinda high and looked like it'd be too high for some sitting/kneeling positions.

Having one section to adjust for standing shots is quite appealing though.

What are 2 section tripods like in the field?
I mocked up a 22i with my current tripod (set legs to the minimum height of the 22i) and had the impression that the lowest height was kinda high and looked like it'd be too high for some sitting/kneeling positions.

I have the QDT (and I'm between 5'8" and 5'10", depending on the liquor store I'm leaving at the time) - running one section collapsed at the 'standard' leg angle is too tall for kneeling, but if you kick the legs out to the wider angles you have a lot of options at the expense of a wider footprint.
I run kneeling at standing leg extension, but legs in the 'middle' angle.
Sitting is legs full collapsed, two legs middle angle, one leg (front) at the 'widest' angle.