• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RRS at SHOT?

gamewarden

Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
MN
Anyone have info on their new ball head and other stuff they released?

Yep... well kinda. The legs are the same. The apex has changed drastically. Smaller, lighter, stronger basically explains it all. The two new types of specs we diagnose can accept both 2 and 3 series legs. No dead wasted space.

Ball head cannot be unintentionally loosened from the tripod. In addition, the tension and lock/unlock is all controlled by a single lever. Here's a picture of the head and tripod.
RRS Soar.jpg

Yep... well kinda. The legs are the same. The apex has changed drastically. Smaller, lighter, stronger basically explains it all. The two new types of specs we diagnose can accept both 2 and 3 series legs. No dead wasted space.

Michael, how does the stability compare to a TVC-33 with TA-3 leveling base setup? Is there a bit of a tradeoff involved? (reduced weight and added features vs overall stability?)

Reactions: JLF
It's really stable....the most stable I've felt of all if their products. The demo model in the pics had a prototype release lever that was a bit stiff- I was told that this would be much improved in the production version.
The stainless ball ends in a tapered collet that is anchored to the tripod with four screws.
It's an expensive, light, well though-out thing of beauty.
Upper lever controls the clamp mechanism, which has both an ARCA groove AND a Pic rail groove,
Bottom, larger lever controls ball head tension.

Attachments

• 1B61741B-3015-4E1B-81BC-25EF80AC52E8.jpeg
    1B61741B-3015-4E1B-81BC-25EF80AC52E8.jpeg
    645.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
The video highlights 3 of 9 new products. Any data on the remaining 6? Also, in the background of the vid there “appears” to be a BH-55 with a similar “apex” mounted config (like Anvil); is this accurate?

I've been brewing over getting on of the RRS tripods for a while.... When that new ones comes up, it might be the one for me. Keen to see when they hit the website.

Okay new products, I’ll put out a video hopefully next week during work.

Anvil-30 ballhead/Leveling base
New built in apex for the anvil (TFCT 2x/3x)
2 series adapter for anvil for older tripods
3 series adapter for anvil for older tripods
12 o’clock picatinny for our rings for LRF
130 o’clock pic “ “ “ red dot what have you
New LR clamp
Section of picatinny for our clamp bottoms
Bag/clamp combo

New apex for 2&3 series tripods for use with our other heads. The tripods we will have installed on is still up for discussion but you can switch your old legs to the new apex as well with the conversion kit.

So actually more then 9 I was just worried I was going to have to list them all verbally. Ugh

I will soon for most products. There is a few parts still prototyping on the anvil-30 for the final touches. Once that is complete I can do cost analysis on the products. When I have a price set rest assured to be on the website.

Reactions: mpk1996
Subscribing for updates. I think this new tripod/head combo in the video will make my wallet much lighter

That would be great! Looking forward to when they'll be available for purchase

Quick question, I never purchased RRS before and am planning to order the anvil system with series 3 legs. Looking at the pre-order, what will be the best way to order? Will there be a full anvil tripod system to order? Can I order just legs separately? Or will I need to buy a full 34 tripod and remove the legs to use them?

Thanks!

On the 15th when the ordering opens I will have multiple ways for you to order. Currently on the webpage you can buy it 4 ways, 3 of which were designed to utilize our current legs. Those options are all adapters and conversions besides the direct thread to any tripod.

Two more ways it will be offered on Thursday is already installed on one of two tripods.

I'm looking to get the TFTC-34 off the website. Any rough idea as to when the pre-orders will ship?

I have the 34 tripod, so I ordered the “kit” and the anvil last night - and same here, any eta roughly when these will roll out? 6-8 weeks?

Also one other quick question, at the SS your display had the QD flush cup adapter on the kit. I hope the anvil kit I ordered has one - couldn’t tell if I needed to add it or not. Please advise, I am thinking others may want to know as well.

Thank you for great products and interfacing with us here on SH

Last edited:
@mwinter501 Pre-Orders for anything with the ballhead, real strong date of April 1. Your cards get checked to make sure it isn't fraud but no money actually leaves until it ships.

@DetroitRearView It does not come with the all the QD accessories, I have to make that list option. Once it is ready I will put it here or here. I will work on the listing again today and make it more complete. The look of the ballhead will change. The handle is a little taller so you can grab with two finger tips not just one, and it is all blacked out.

@InTraining Detroit and mwinter, along with anyone else buying the stuff thank you. Shooting is my hobby and I love getting out new stuff that people love and beat the crap out of!

I take it you guys saw the New listings for the full tripods with anvil, the new anvil, SC-LR lever release clamp, updates to the bipod adapters, and the bag under tools and accessories. I was busy yesterday.

@super_poot there might be options down the road. We just put those two up initially since they are the most popular. The Anvil-30 was made to be smaller lighter, more compact and going with the compactness the 34 is easier as well as the 24 to get into hunting packs and fit in approved carry on bags. The 33 not so much. If you have a 33 already you can pre order the Anvil-30 with the conversion apex or a 3 series adapter and you have your favorite legs. Again there will probably be more options once I see the overall popularity. Also if you compare side by side I was able to drop the price of the tripod and have the ballhead come in cheaper then the other most popular one, So this typically higher dollar setup is able to save 179.00 to shooters. I think that is pretty cool! Our first custom built head and pod for shooters and it's less.

@Frankly the clamp lever up on top is reversible so you can choose which way it flips. The Ball adjustment has a big adjustment range from loose to very tight just by opening and closing the main lever. So if you like the adjustment anywhere in between you simply stop there. In transport you just lock it all the way down so the lever isn't sticking out.

Reactions: Frankly
@super_poot there might be options down the road. We just put those two up initially since they are the most popular. The Anvil-30 was made to be smaller lighter, more compact and going with the compactness the 34 is easier as well as the 24 to get into hunting packs and fit in approved carry on bags. The 33 not so much. If you have a 33 already you can pre order the Anvil-30 with the conversion apex or a 3 series adapter and you have your favorite legs. Again there will probably be more options once I see the overall popularity. Also if you compare side by side I was able to drop the price of the tripod and have the ballhead come in cheaper then the other most popular one, So this typically higher dollar setup is able to save 179.00 to shooters. I think that is pretty cool! Our first custom built head and pod for shooters and it's less.
What's the leg length difference.. 33 vs 34?

@MountainHunter Yes when we get fully finished parts and I am not wasting time taking pictures and editing prototypes I will upload better photos. The tripod package and the apex conversion option will both come with a hand strap lug underneath where you can hang bags from.

@MPHReallyRightStuff Of the KRG CHASSIS PLATES listed on the RRS SOAR website, do you which one will fit the newer KRG Bravo and is mounting hardware provided? And is it more than just a couple M-Lok nuts?

On the website it shows them as being in stock, so with an affirmation I will buy one right away.

Thank you - Frank

Last edited:
24L or 34L...........is there really any difference when it comes to shooting between these two? If so please educate.

I have a 34 and have played with the 24. In my estimation there is a notable difference in stability under recoil and I felt I could apply recoil mgmt on the 34 and could not on a 24.
Hope that helps.
Unless you feel you have some special requirement to have an “L” (tall) model you might think twice. Those are pretty darn tall. The standard models are just about right for anyone 6ft’ish IMO

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the "L" as I'm just shy of 6'4" the pod will also be used for glassing and shooting while hunting as well as target. I may be getting hung up to much on the 1lb difference between the two.

My favorite do it all Tripod is the 24L. Not nearly as tall as the 34L, almost packs as small at the 34, but lighter and it can go for glassing while standing for a 6.4-6.6 height person without having to bend much. With the new Anvil conversion apex it made the 2 series even more sturdy as well so that’s a plus.

So with the new Anvil conversion apex making the 2 series more sturdy will it act more like the 3 series under recoil now? Not really concerned about price difference, just the weight difference. But if the extra weight is really worth it I could put up with it.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the "L" as I'm just shy of 6'4" the pod will also be used for glassing and shooting while hunting as well as target. I may be getting hung up to much on the 1lb difference between the two.
Ah, 6’4”. Long does make since then I guess.

Good info Mike. Need another tripod, it’ll be interesting to see how much more stable the 24 will be.

My favorite do it all Tripod is the 24L. Not nearly as tall as the 34L, almost packs as small at the 34, but lighter and it can go for glassing while standing for a 6.4-6.6 height person without having to bend much. With the new Anvil conversion apex it made the 2 series even more sturdy as well so that’s a plus.
Which model of tripod would you recommend to use with the new Anvil for those of us that are height challenged individuals? I am 5’6” and have wanted an RRS for a while. Now that the Anvil is out, I am not sure which tripod is right for me

Another question is what interface would you recommend for an AI AT?

Thanks in advance

@usmc45 The new 2 series vs 3 series act similarly under recoil now. The apex got much smaller from the previous 2 and 3 series tripods. So now both of the tripods use the same small apex which can have no flew in it, so the entire system will be more rigid. The only difference you will see no is the flex in the legs between each series.

@mrtoyz Like I was telling usmc45, the tripod is now more stable because it is more rigid than before. So it will have an increased feel than the original.

@Nik H The 34 would be great for you but so would the 24L. Think of it this way, you need a tripod to be able to reach your throat on level ground for spotting, if that is one of your needs. With the addition of a ballhead and your specific gear it will be comfy enough for your size..... Now put a ditch infront of you, or you are standing on uneven rocks. The extra length is just nice to have and not need. If you know you are willing to risk not having the extra length I would go with the 34 version, for an extra $40 you get stronger tripod legs and joints.

Some people that shoot with a tripod too tall, or with free recoil may find this new version to be less stable since the apex comes to a point sooner than our previous versions.

When I shoot I actually knock out the support side leg to the next angle lock and can put all my weight on that first joint when I need my rifle, reticle, and tripod not to move when focusing on game. This puts more human error into the system because of muscle tension, but when I have to be able to see my shot and immediately follow it up with a potential emergency shot, this is a awesome position you use. I don't use that position when I am shooting groups, or precision dinky targets, but when the size of my game is large enough to stay in the kill zone with any inherent wobble I use my technique of not allowing anything to move under recoil. Another reason why I trust these pods, last time I did this method on another manufacturers pods, my 230lbs frame went right through the leg joint when at max height.

Reactions: Aceteck
@usmc45 The new 2 series vs 3 series act similarly under recoil now. The apex got much smaller from the previous 2 and 3 series tripods. So now both of the tripods use the same small apex which can have no flew in it, so the entire system will be more rigid. The only difference you will see no is the flex in the legs between each series.

@mrtoyz Like I was telling usmc45, the tripod is now more stable because it is more rigid than before. So it will have an increased feel than the original.

@Nik H The 34 would be great for you but so would the 24L. Think of it this way, you need a tripod to be able to reach your throat on level ground for spotting, if that is one of your needs. With the addition of a ballhead and your specific gear it will be comfy enough for your size..... Now put a ditch infront of you, or you are standing on uneven rocks. The extra length is just nice to have and not need. If you know you are willing to risk not having the extra length I would go with the 34 version, for an extra $40 you get stronger tripod legs and joints.

Some people that shoot with a tripod too tall, or with free recoil may find this new version to be less stable since the apex comes to a point sooner than our previous versions.

When I shoot I actually knock out the support side leg to the next angle lock and can put all my weight on that first joint when I need my rifle, reticle, and tripod not to move when focusing on game. This puts more human error into the system because of muscle tension, but when I have to be able to see my shot and immediately follow it up with a potential emergency shot, this is a awesome position you use. I don't use that position when I am shooting groups, or precision dinky targets, but when the size of my game is large enough to stay in the kill zone with any inherent wobble I use my technique of not allowing anything to move under recoil. Another reason why I trust these pods, last time I did this method on another manufacturers pods, my 230lbs frame went right through the leg joint when at max height.

Thank you for answering my question. I definitely need to adjust my plans to include this setup.

@Nik H I think a lot of people are going to like the new setup a lot! With that said as soon as I am finished with pricing and I get the adapters available to buy I think you'll be able to find deals on older tripod legs. I am seeing a lot of people pre-ordering the full setup, so they might have a tripod to sell if they don't need 2.

Reactions: dazz397