• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS setup

Travis224

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I have scoured the forum here, and other websites. Obviously I believe I can buy the most expensive tripod and head, and not be disappointed. My question is, for PRS/hunting for rifle only mounting, what would be the least amount of movement that's NOT the most expensive setup? My rifle weighs 20lbs, and on occasion, I shoot very steep inclines so while I like a leveling base, I feel like having more movement would be great. Also, I hunt at night so adjustments need to be simple and done with gloves during the winter.

Any way you guys want to post pics and experiences? I don't love the idea of dropping 1500$ but my innorel tripod with RRS lever clamp/leveling head gives me just a little bit too much movement.

Ive got a tvc34l with a anvil 30 on it and it’s rock solid. I’ve not had any experience with the innorel tripods so I can’t comment on that, but I would say that a rrs tripod with the anvil 30 will get you where you need to be.

Is the Anvil 30 better than something like the BH-40?

I was at a nrl22 match Sunday and did a little hands on with the RRS and immediately I noticed that my Innorel tripod had considerable leg flex at the joints. No big deal if I don't lean on it and it was pretty inexpensive, but I'm planning on a prairie dog trip next month and stability is paramount.
The anvil 30 is rated to 35lbs..do you think it's too easy to overpower when it's locked down? Or is that even a concern?

You
I was at a nrl22 match Sunday and did a little hands on with the RRS and immediately I noticed that my Innorel tripod had considerable leg flex at the joints. No big deal if I don't lean on it and it was pretty inexpensive, but I'm planning on a prairie dog trip next month and stability is paramount.
The anvil 30 is rated to 35lbs..do you think it's too easy to overpower when it's locked down? Or is that even a concern?
Would need to actually swing off it to over power it. I haven't actually seen how much weight it would take to over power it but you can't with normal amounts of pressure. I could be concerned about damaging the tripod with the pressure it would take to overpower mine

Reactions: Travis224

Attachments

• 97CDD2EB-7187-4217-B147-C330C724CCDA.jpeg
    97CDD2EB-7187-4217-B147-C330C724CCDA.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 294
Rated for 35 Foot pounds of torque from factory.
Can be user timed to be much stronger if needed.
We decided to use that style of capacity rating since there is no real standard and wanted to be valid for the actual firearms use. You won't over power it with your 20lbs rifle.

Rated for 35 Foot pounds of torque from factory.
Can be user timed to be much stronger if needed.
We decided to use that style of capacity rating since there is no real standard and wanted to be valid for the actual firearms use. You won't over power it with your 20lbs rifle.
as the anvil on the handle becomes easier to use, is a tension adjustment required to maintain the gripping stregth?

Having shot off a few setups (I have a Feisol and a BH55 ballhead) nothing really compares to the RRS setup with the anvil. All cliche sayings apply "buy once, cry once", "buy it nice or buy it twice", etc. It is simply the best setup out there, period.

as the anvil on the handle becomes easier to use, is a tension adjustment required to maintain the gripping stregth?

I haven’t had to make any adjustments to the large handle that lets the ballhead move freely. Definitely haven’t had to make any adjustments to the arca lock portion, still tight as ever.

I am positive that really right stuff will have a great Father’s Day sale!

If you have the means, get the TFCT-34/Anvil 30 combo.

I have a bunch of RRS stuff gear from also being into photography. Although it'll work, the photo stuff isn't best suited for dynamic shooting, and there is more flex, even when using their flagship BH-55 or BH40 ballhead.

As mentioned, buy once cry one. But you'll be happy long after you forget the cost.

just get the RRS man. This is the 24L with the anvil 30 with my vudoo sitting on top (featuring my border collies ass). Super sturdy and has a ton of height for if you want to run a spotting scope or range finder at eye level. The price hurts at first but once I got the gun mounted, I forgot about it 😂
ED8E5346-F653-49AC-BF64-E6E9337A83E2.jpeg

I’ll be the odd man out. I traded away my Anvil head. I like something I can adjust the tension to move it.

Got the 22i and anvil today. Pretty sweet

Attachments

• 3FB05988-FE60-484B-BA67-1F42885A761B.jpeg
    3FB05988-FE60-484B-BA67-1F42885A761B.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 142
  • EAB953FA-8B00-4EB3-93EC-1D9083EB4FD5.jpeg
    EAB953FA-8B00-4EB3-93EC-1D9083EB4FD5.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 147
here’s a pic of my setup. 34l with anvil 30 and my twins as well.
19634863-BB45-420F-A817-F956EBACD071.jpeg

Reactions: Krob95
🤷🏻‍♂️ Never used a series 3 but the series 2 did me just fine today in the rimfire match I shot

Yea a lot of us running anvil 30 with a imported RT90C tripod and adapter. Comes out to around $800 total for the setup and shooting next to an RRS tripod, doesn't give up much. Also gives you the option to upgrade to a RRS tripod down the road if you want to cut some weight. Just something to think about if you don't want to drop $1500 on a tripod. There are a few threads here if you want to go learn.

Reactions: moaorbust
I was able to shoot off a tvc33/anvil 30 , https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TFCT-33 , this weekend in Montana at the big Medicine PRS match. That Thing was Solid! I was surprised how solid i was shooting off that thing. So naturally now i find myself wanting to pick one up.

So my question to the Gurus, is: Versa vs the Fixed in regards to stability. I am considering a Versa to be able to run a BH40 or BH55 later for glassing and better panning. I like the fixed apex as I shot off of it and i know it is solid. Less parts in the head and folds down slimmer. Versa gives me the option to run different ball heads. But i do intend on getting a tvc33 with an anvil30 head, just unsure if I will get more wobble on a Versa vs Fixed apex.

I decided to go and order the RRS 33L with anvil 30. Sure it has some wobble when I'm behind the scope, but I can get steady enough to get a shot off when crosshairs are on target. I'm happy with it. Might be a bit more steady with a leveling base, but for using this as a match tripod, and also for hunting, this works perfectly fine.

Reactions: deersniper
under the specs tab it says the height includes the anvil. If anyone is thinking about getting the rrs setup I highly recommend it!

Reactions: Travis224
under the specs tab it says the height includes the anvil. If anyone is thinking about getting the rrs setup I highly recommend it!
It sure does. Whoops

Last edited:
Is the Anvil 30 better than something like the BH-40?
traditional BH might be desirable if you need to pan level without changing elevation. i am trying to decide between "buy once" and something cheaper.
leaning toward the anvil and 34

So I’m looking at a 24L or 34L and anvil setup! I’m wanting one setup only for multi purpose use like hunting and shooting off of, my question is, is the 24L less stable than the 34L? I like the weight better of the 24L

I was initially torn between getting the 22i or the 33 with the Anvil. I ended up going with the 33 for more versatility. Its rock solid prone with the legs in 3rd position and at sitting height with legs in 2nd position. For standing shots with all three leg sections extended some, there is a bigger wobble zone than prone or sitting for sure. The wobble zone at my standing height is smaller when the top two larger leg sections are fully extended vs fully extending the bottom two sections as one would do to save setup time. My standing shooting height only requires me to extend a 3rd leg element about 6". I would imagine the 22i would probably have less of a wobble zone for standing shots vs the 33, but it does give up some versatility. The 22i definitely needs a bigger ground foot print for sitting and prone shots with only 2 leg sections. Sitting with the 22i for me would require 2 legs in 2nd position and the last leg in 3rd.

So I’m looking at a 24L or 34L and anvil setup! I’m wanting one setup only for multi purpose use like hunting and shooting off of, my question is, is the 24L less stable than the 34L? I like the weight better of the 24L
i wouldn't think they are too different until you need to extend the 3rd section of the 34, which is not quite as stiff as the larger tubes.
i got the TVC-34 Mk2 (so it can be used like a normal tripod or with a leveling base) and the anvil-30 w/adapter plate.
i do "load" my tripod so it doesn't move very much if at all, but the poi shifts when it is loaded (because the leg i am leaning into flexes).
the anvil plate doesn't come with a hook, but i was able to remove the hook from the versa plate and put it on the bottom of and anvil-30 plate (platform adapter) if i want to hang a bag or backpack for weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: SplittyG
I was initially torn between getting the 22i or the 33 with the Anvil. I ended up going with the 33 for more versatility. Its rock solid prone with the legs in 3rd position and at sitting height with legs in 2nd position. For standing shots with all three leg sections extended some, there is a bigger wobble zone than prone or sitting for sure. The wobble zone at my standing height is smaller when the top two larger leg sections are fully extended vs fully extending the bottom two sections as one would do to save setup time. My standing shooting height only requires me to extend a 3rd leg element about 6". I would imagine the 22i would probably have less of a wobble zone for standing shots vs the 33, but it does give up some versatility. The 22i definitely needs a bigger ground foot print for sitting and prone shots with only 2 leg sections. Sitting with the 22i for me would require 2 legs in 2nd position and the last leg in 3rd.
How tall are you? I’m 6’ I’d be loosing about 8 or 9 inches by going with the 33 over the 24L but assuming it would be a bit more stable with thicker legs plus it weights only an 1 or 2 more ounces. I’d like to be able to bring Binos close to my eyes standing. I’m totally new to the tripod game so any info helps!

How tall are you? I’m 6’ I’d be loosing about 8 or 9 inches by going with the 33 over the 24L but assuming it would be a bit more stable with thicker legs plus it weights only an 1 or 2 more ounces. I’d like to be able to bring Binos close to my eyes standing. I’m totally new to the tripod game so any info helps!
this will probably be very helpful. you'll want to account for how you'll mount your binos or whatever.
i also chose the versa for the slightly wider apex and of course you could use a leveling base or post adapter.

i probably misunderstood the earlier question 24L vs 34L as i believe the 2 means series 2 or less weight capacity

CF-Tripod-Size-Comparison.png

Last edited:
I went 24L, and haven't regretted a bit. Versatile as hell...light enough to lug around attached to my pack, tall enough for everything, collapses down to same size as the 3-section versions...and the weight rating at shooting height (2 sections deployed) is 40# (BTW, only 5# less than 34L) and I've found it plenty stable. I'm sure the difference in wobble zone between 24L and 34L is much smaller than what I'm creating myself.
33 would work for shooting, but too short for binos. Recommend 24L or 34L, depending on how much you'll be carrying (oz=lbs=pain).

Oh, and the Anvil-30 is stupid good.

I went 24L, and haven't regretted a bit. Versatile as hell...light enough to lug around attached to my pack, tall enough for everything, collapses down to same size as the 3-section versions...and the weight rating at shooting height (2 sections deployed) is 40# (BTW, only 5# less than 34L) and I've found it plenty stable. I'm sure the difference in wobble zone between 24L and 34L is much smaller than what I'm creating myself.

33 would work for shooting, but too short for binos. Recommend 24L or 34L, depending on how much you'll be carrying (oz=lbs=pain).

Oh, and the Anvil-30 is stupid good.
That’s what I’ve been hearing! everybody loves the anvil head, I’ll probably end going with the 24L I’m sure it’ll do everything I need really well. Appreciate the help fellas!