• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Tripod & Head for "current" PRS style matches

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Planning on finally buying a RRS setup, but I've been thinking a lot about how they get used at the matches I typically shoot. It's really 98% spotting, and maybe 2% shooting off a tripod...and even when it is off a tripod, the trend is definitely going towards using a Tac-table with a Gamechanger on top, versus clamping in to the RRS dovetail and making minute adjustments with the ballhead. Listening to the recent VP Precision Podcast where Vibbert and Pynch talk about the Sniper's Hide Cup, they said pretty much every stage with a tripod was Tac-table + GC...way faster and just as - if not more - stable. We shoot almost every stage with the rifle atop a GC, why not approach tripod shooting the same way?

The kits I've played around with on the firing line generally have the Anvil-30 ballhead. Am I wrong in thinking this is not ideal for something that spends 98% of the time with a pair of binos on top? Whenever I go to adjust the position the binos want to flop to the side if too much tension is released. The rigs with a leveling base were much easier to get the target in the FOV, especially for stages that required the spotter to pan from target to target.

I know everyone universally says to get the Anvil 30, but am I wrong in thinking the new universal leveling base is the better choice for how the current PRS shooter uses their tripod? Does the leveling base have the strength to hold a 10# GC with a 25# match rifle on top and not slip when adjusting the aiming point? @MPHReallyRightStuff

1596595481527.png

I’ve got a rrs leveling base and buddy has a rrs anvil head. We both agree that the leveling base was the better solution for us for the same reason you described: offers much more control and less “flopping”.

No issues with support as well. Even working off of feisol “series 1” legs, we had no issues supporting a Barrett 50 for over 50 rounds and counting.

I have the anvil 30, and RRS tripod. I do have some wiggle when behind the rifle. But I had to accept it because I hunt and shoot starlings around the farm and the anvil gives way more movement than a leveling base.
    I definitely agree that for hunting or having the gun in one position for a long time that the Anvil 30 is perfect. Compared to a PRS stage that is 10 shots in 90 seconds (generally in one location) or a field-type match like SHC with something like a 5 minute par time. Then you're back to using it for binos.

I’ve never really had an issue with slowly releasing an Anvil so it doesn’t flop. That said, I definitely get the appeal of the leveling base.

Reactions: Travis224
    I had to decide my intended use. I don't shoot as many matches as I go coyote hunting. Its slick for sure, but I would agree that the level I g base would be better for stability

Would it make sense to get the anvil 30 and then add a $50 camera ball head on top of the anvil 30 to support your spotting gear?

I don't have an expensive tripod (wish I could) but here is a photo showing how I managed to get my spotting gear onto my hog saddle. I clamp a window mount in the saddle and the camera ball head is above the window clamp.

You could add a $13 arca clamp to the bottom of a $50 camera ball head so you can clamp the ball head to the anvil30 and then the spotter on top of the ball head. Just a thought to have the best of both worlds.

20200629_194000.jpg

I do that when with a 200mm arca plate I found on Amazon with a built in clamp + cheap/tiny ball head. Easy on and off but pretty bulky to carry around.

I had spoken to @MPHReallyRightStuff a few weeks ago and he mentioned they may be adding a redesigned leveling base to the SOAR line at some point in the future, the current design (as pictured above) may have some issues with heavy gear as opposed to the photo equipment it was designed for.

Reactions: samb300
    We were updating the one mentioned above. It has been updated and is on the site in the newest version
    So is the TA-2U-SC good to go for a tac table + game changer + match rifle on top? In general, the rifle would be put with the center of gravity directly atop the GC, so there shouldn't be too much torque on the head itself.

That’s why I have the 55 ballhead you set the tensions you want, then use the large knob to lock/unlock.
    Is that on the series-3 tripod?

What's drawing me to the TA-2U-SC is the fact that it's designed for the series-2 tripod, so it saves a little weight and is a little more compact that a series-3, especially with the versa apex. The 24L seems like a great compromise between length, weight, and stiffness. The BH-55 ballhead is 2#, and the 34L is another 3/4 pound heavier than the 24L.

Like I mentioned above, I don't hunt, and in my past 4 matches there has been 1 stage shot off a tripod, and a tac-table + GC was definitely the way to go. I've read that the series-3 tripods are better for shooting due to the ability to handle our heavy rifles and dampen after-shot vibration. But if the vast majority of the time the tripod is sitting with a bino on top, or in a pack walking to the next stage, I don't know that the 34L makes sense.

Would it make sense to get the anvil 30 and then add a $50 camera ball head on top of the anvil 30 to support your spotting gear?

I don't have an expensive tripod (wish I could) but here is a photo showing how I managed to get my spotting gear onto my hog saddle. I clamp a window mount in the saddle and the camera ball head is above the window clamp.

You could add a $13 arca clamp to the bottom of a $50 camera ball head so you can clamp the ball head to the anvil30 and then the spotter on top of the ball head. Just a thought to have the best of both worlds.

View attachment 7391643
    another option if you are one of the poors is a cheap Orion "slow motion adapter" on top of your ball head.
    you can use the ball head for large adjustments, and the adapter for finer pointing.

c8ccd67355e527ee115643bbcd37cfb6.jpg

I would really like to see a series 3 leveling base with the 3 lobe locking lever above the apex that the 2 series has. I am also a fan of the newer series 2 in that it goes +/- 20 degrees vs the +/- 15 degrees of the current series 3. That way, if you are using the tripod in the prone position, there won't be any tension/locking levers below the apex. I am still not quite sold on the Anvil yet due to its reported ease of flopping side to side when adjusting and panning as compared to a leveling base.

I've been studying and old thread here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-tvc-33-feisol-3372-anvil-30-comment.6570549/. As far as rigidity goes, the consensus of that thread points toward a series 3 leveling base over the Anvil and the BH-55 ball head.

I had the first gen TA-2U on my Leofoto setup. I worked fine for spotting and was decent stability wise with a match rifle.

I went to RRS and Anvil 30, and I honestly don't have any complaints about using the Anvil with a spotter. It's still super quick for me to adjust for multiple targets when spotting for someone. Shooting wise, I love it. Never tried the T3 leveling base, but I enjoy the larger range of movement the Anvil affords.

@samb300 , yes the TA-2U-SC is strong enough for your example equipment.
    @gigamortis, we can look into possibly making a 3 series version but it hasnt been put on the table yet for discussion. Ill bring it up and see if we can find some issues with it or see if thats plausible. 1st request for it, good on you.

@samb300 , yes the TA-2U-SC is strong enough for your example equipment.
    @gigamortis, we can look into possibly making a 3 series version but it hasnt been put on the table yet for discussion. Ill bring it up and see if we can find some issues with it or see if thats plausible. 1st request for it, good on you.
    hi, does the wider top and higher apex of the TVC make it any more stable with the Anvil 30 than the TFC option?
    I was going to order the TFC/Anvil package, but it was "out of stock" on your website.
    instead, i was able to get the TVC-34L and Anvil 30 with the TVC plate. I opted for the TVC so it would be more flexible for whoever inherits the tripod when i kick the bucket. I could still convert to TFC, but if the higher apex makes the TVC more stable (like a bipod with the higher apex) i may skip it.

Is that on the series-3 tripod?

What's drawing me to the TA-2U-SC is the fact that it's designed for the series-2 tripod, so it saves a little weight and is a little more compact that a series-3, especially with the versa apex. The 24L seems like a great compromise between length, weight, and stiffness. The BH-55 ballhead is 2#, and the 34L is another 3/4 pound heavier than the 24L.

Like I mentioned above, I don't hunt, and in my past 4 matches there has been 1 stage shot off a tripod, and a tac-table + GC was definitely the way to go. I've read that the series-3 tripods are better for shooting due to the ability to handle our heavy rifles and dampen after-shot vibration. But if the vast majority of the time the tripod is sitting with a bino on top, or in a pack walking to the next stage, I don't know that the 34L makes sense.

I’m using it on the competition tripod. I believe that’s the 2 series. These tripods seem more stable than the 3 and 4 series to me as less leg extensions.

47A55F30-AC7A-4257-8142-8700DBC2A1A2.jpeg

Honestly I think it depends on what you're doing. Part of why they were using a tac table and bag is to save time. Rather than clipping/unclipping into the anvil head just pick up your gun and get out of your partners way.

I think locked into an anvil head is as stable as it gets with a single point of contact off a tripod. I don't think a tac table is any faster or slower than the Anvil for a single shooter.

Think about it like this, they've all but stopped even letting us engage targets off the tripod because it's THAT stable. So they make it harder by saying you can only use it for rear support or not at all.

For hunters, mil, le... Tripod all day. Rest of us have to do the best we can with the stage rules we're given.

Reactions: deersniper
    I have the anvil 30, and RRS tripod. I do have some wiggle when behind the rifle. But I had to accept it because I hunt and shoot starlings around the farm and the anvil gives way more movement than a leveling base.
    Is your farm really hilly or even on flat ground you are liking the anvil better? I live in IL and we are basically as flat as can be for the most part or maybe some small hills. I’m trying to figure out if I need the anvil or a leveling base.

Last edited:
    I ran a Leofoto LN-364c and LH-55 ballhead, so 4 leg 3 series type and a ballhead, and switched to a RRS 24L with Anvil 30. The only feature I miss for spotting from the prior setup is the pan feature. On stages where you have a wide degree of targets it was nice to set the bino angle up to catch everything in the vertical and then use the pan feature to capture the entire field horizontally.

I switched to the 24L and Anvil 30 for weight savings and compactness. I hated lugging around that massive tripod. The 24L folds down extremely nice because of the apex mount and can be stored in the side of my Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack in the water bottle pocket and cinched down.

Once setup the ballhead only takes one hand to operate. The Anvil 30 really takes 2 hands for spotting.

For shooting off the ARCA Mount I prefer the Anvil-30, I think it is quicker than the ballhead.

Reactions: pineoak
    I actually just used my Anvil 30 for my Sony A7III w/ 200-600mm and other lenses for some wildlife photography and astrophotography in the backcountry of the Tetons. Worked fine despite it's intended use, I use it for binos the majority of the time as well.

Honestly I think it depends on what you're doing. Part of why they were using a tac table and bag is to save time. Rather than clipping/unclipping into the anvil head just pick up your gun and get out of your partners way.

I think locked into an anvil head is as stable as it gets with a single point of contact off a tripod. I don't think a tac table is any faster or slower than the Anvil for a single shooter.

Think about it like this, they've all but stopped even letting us engage targets off the tripod because it's THAT stable. So they make it harder by saying you can only use it for rear support or not at all.

For hunters, mil, le... Tripod all day. Rest of us have to do the best we can with the stage rules we're given.

This sums it up nicely. Using a tac table and gamechanger on top of a tripod is really a personal preference kind of thing. It depends on how your work flow goes but if I'm shooting off the top of the tripod, I use my Anvil-30. I like having the rifle held positively in place which frees me up to do other tasks as needed. Obviously every different stage, if you're talking about SHC (and I've shot it every year it's been in Wa except this year cause of the goddamn border closure), requires a different approach but I normally either clip my Sig K3000s(with RRS bino adapter) into the tripod, range the targets, remove binos, clip in rifle, engage targets or just clip in rifle, throw Gamechanger on top of it and binos on Gamechanger to range then binos back in pouch, dump GC and engage targets. Lotsa ways to skin this cat but at the end of the day, I really like the Anvil-30. At your typical PRS/NRL match, all I use it for is my spotter and I don't find it to be real hard to pan from target to target. I also have a RDS on my spotter so makes getting on target fast and easy.

I prefer the RRS leveling base for both hunting and banging steel. Tried the Anvil and just didn’t jibe with . Cool piece of kit, but I am way more stable with the leveling base.

I prefer the RRS leveling base for both hunting and banging steel. Tried the Anvil and just didn’t jibe with . Cool piece of kit, but I am way more stable with the leveling base.
    I think the leveling base would work for my needs but not having the dual functionality of the arca and pic is a huge negative since I’d use it with a lot of different guns

I was in the same boat and bit the bullet and put the RRS arca dovetail rails on both my rifles (hunting and comp), then also one on my spotters. I can switch from spotter to rifle super quick in the field.

I ran a Leofoto LN-364c and LH-55 ballhead, so 4 leg 3 series type and a ballhead, and switched to a RRS 24L with Anvil 30. The only feature I miss for spotting from the prior setup is the pan feature. On stages where you have a wide degree of targets it was nice to set the bino angle up to catch everything in the vertical and then use the pan feature to capture the entire field horizontally. {/QUOTE}
    I think the leveling base would work for my needs but not having the dual functionality of the arca and pic is a huge negative since I’d use it with a lot of different guns

For the Panning on the Anvil-30, Look at our PC-LR to put on your Anvil-30. https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pc-lr

For the leveling base with the dual clamp, try out, https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-2U-SC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp_2

Reactions: E-Tool