• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS TVC-22i seated position

shaun1826

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Can someone that has one of these measure the distance from tripod leg “foot to foot” when shooting from a seated position? I’m 6’ and looking to buy an RRS tripod and have settled on either the TVC-22i or the TFCT-34L. But, I’ve got a particular application where I’m constrained on the footprint of the legs.

Also how do you like the 22i, especially if you have also had/used a 33/34 for comparison? Are you able to shoot comfortably from a seated position with the 22i? Weight and collapsed length really aren’t a concern for me.

Thanks

You’re better off with the 34L
Had some shooters in my club, have a tougher time shooting from the seated with the 22i as it’s a lot taller. It’s doable, but, probably not as quick as the standard RRS tripods.
The 22i will be faster to deploy as your hand never leaves the twist locks when extending the legs.
Either will be great. But if your concern is the seated position in regards to the height of the 22i, go with the 34L.

Seated position looks like this. Short leg of triangle is 56”, long legs 65”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: shaun1826
I was in the same conundrum as the OP, except my dilemma was trying to decide between the 22i and the TVC-33. I ended up going with the 33 for more versatility. Shooting prone and seated with the 33 is rock steady. At standing height, there was definitely more wobble zone vs the lower positions, but still light years ahead of lesser tripods. I can only assume that the 22i may have less of a wobble zone when at standing height due to only 2 leg sections vs 3. The drawback of the 22i would be the bigger footprint when seated and prone.

I can measure tonight for specifics.

If by seated, you mean on the ground, I have 2 legs in the #2 position fully collapsed. The 3rd leg in the #3 position, pointed back toward me and extended a fair bit (adjust as needed).

If you mean seated in a chair, then you'll either run all legs in the #1 position (assuming taller, bench height chair). Or, you'll have 2 legs on the #1 position with the 3rd in the #2 position pointed back towards you and extended as needed (short chair near the ground).

Both of these positions have a pretty large footprint, but are incredibly stable and easy to make multiple shots quickly.

I love the 22i (with Anvil 30). Quick and easy to adjust/deploy (especially when using for spotting) and super stable to shoot from. That said, for hunting I use a TFCT-33. It is much easier to pack around than the 22i.

I can measure tonight for specifics.

If by seated, you mean on the ground, I have 2 legs in the #2 position fully collapsed. The 3rd leg in the #3 position, pointed back toward me and extended a fair bit (adjust as needed).

If you mean seated in a chair, then you'll either run all legs in the #1 position (assuming taller, bench height chair). Or, you'll have 2 legs on the #1 position with the 3rd in the #2 position pointed back towards you and extended as needed (short chair near the ground).

Both of these positions have a pretty large footprint, but are incredibly stable and easy to make multiple shots quickly.

I love the 22i (with Anvil 30). Quick and easy to adjust/deploy (especially when using for spotting) and super stable to shoot from. That said, for hunting I use a TFCT-33. It is much easier to pack around than the 22i.

Yes, I was referring to seated on the ground. The gentleman above supplied the dimensions I needed. I really like the idea of the 22i, but the footprint is too big from seated on the ground for one of the places I’ll be shooting from. Went with the TFCT-34L.

Reactions: Hoyt7mm