• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS VYCE or Hog Saddle

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am about to invest in a good tripod setup for hunting with NV. I have decided to go with the RRS tripod and ball but cannot decide on the mount I want (Hog or RRS VYCE). Does the team here have any input to why one may be better than the other? I like how the RRS centers the rifle in the mount.

About the ball head, have you considered the leveling base? The reason I ask is, I went with the ball head and wanted to try the leveling base, when I did I sold the ball head.

Reactions: charles63
No comment on VYCE v Hog, but...

Another vote on leveling base, especially in the hunting application.

(1) shorter column = less room on your ruck
(2) shorter column = more stability
(3) tad less expensive
(4) that column on the underside = lots of leverage for quickly and easily moving the rifle on to target. It locks down super easy and rock solid

You give up the amount of angle you can shot from just the mount. Its only +/- 15* (30* total). But that is a lot and easily enough for most shooting (maybe if you are in mountains, ball is a better choice than the leveling base). If you do need more and +/- 15*, simply shorten one of the tripod legs and you are on.

You are going to love how good these high end tripod and mount setups are. Game changing. Best of luck w/ your hunt.

The RRS ball head vs leveling base is a question which i also had.Thanks for the info.

Having run the Hog Saddle for many years, it works as advertised. But the Vyce is definitely better. It seems
to lock up more solid and I would say you get better feedback from it. It is a bit taller and heavier, but I plan
to sell my saddle and get a Vyce. The Vyce will also clamp down smaller than the saddle and works better on thin
forends. (McRee, etc.)

How good would the RRS Vyce hold a Macmillan A5 stock,Was wondering with the A5 for end being rounded.

If you are using a RRS leveling head make sure you go with the Vyce. The hog saddle knob hits the leveling head so you have to remove the saddle and install it on the rifle to use it.

About the ball head, have you considered the leveling base? The reason I ask is, I went with the ball head and wanted to try the leveling base, when I did I sold the ball head.
Do you have any issues with slippage? My .338 is fairly heavy (26” MTU barrel, McMillan A5, S&B PMII, suppressor, NV, etc). I see the website says it is rated to 25 lbs without slipping.

No comment on VYCE v Hog, but...

Another vote on leveling base, especially in the hunting application.

(1) shorter column = less room on your ruck
(2) shorter column = more stability
(3) tad less expensive
(4) that column on the underside = lots of leverage for quickly and easily moving the rifle on to target. It locks down super easy and rock solid

You give up the amount of angle you can shot from just the mount. Its only +/- 15* (30* total). But that is a lot and easily enough for most shooting (maybe if you are in mountains, ball is a better choice than the leveling base). If you do need more and +/- 15*, simply shorten one of the tripod legs and you are on.

You are going to love how good these high end tripod and mount setups are. Game changing. Best of luck w/ your hunt.
Do you have any issues with slippage? My .338 is fairly heavy (26” MTU barrel, McMillan A5, S&B PMII, suppressor, NV, etc). I see the website says it is rated to 25 lbs without slipping.

Negative sir, very solid but mine is on a 6mm rifle shooting 105gr bullets ... your .338 will have just a tad more recoil. Your rifle sounds more heavy than mine as well. You might want to call RRS. I hear they have excellent customer service.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
Also check out the new RRS Anvil head. Looks very promising.

No. I've got a AIAX on the thing which is close to 20lbs with the scope and bipod on it and it is very secure.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
@Cold_Bore_88 I’m not going to speak on another companies behalf, but our vyce is pretty damn strong. And it looks great, jaws move together on a double start thread, the jaws are angled in so it sucks the rifle down when tightened, has multiple attachment points if you want to go direct or use our plate with it directly, and it’sfully U.S.A made cnc from 7075 and 6061. But if you don’t go with us, we made or vyce rail (VR-76) to work perfectly as a mounting option for Hog and Pig saddles on our tripods so their tension knob doesn’t hit the base of the leveling bases so all users would be covered. Let us know what you decided!
Michael

@Cold_Bore_88 I’m not going to speak on another companies behalf, but our vyce is pretty damn strong. And it looks great, jaws move together on a double start thread, the jaws are angled in so it sucks the rifle down when tightened, has multiple attachment points if you want to go direct or use our plate with it directly, and it’sfully U.S.A made cnc from 7075 and 6061. But if you don’t go with us, we made or vyce rail (VR-76) to work perfectly as a mounting option for Hog and Pig saddles on our tripods so their tension knob doesn’t hit the base of the leveling bases so all users would be covered. Let us know what you decided!
Michael
Thanks for the info. I have decided to go with the VYCE! I messaged y’all on Facebook and got a reply within a couple hours. Helped me pick the right stuff. No pun intended.

Does the vyce open as wide as the PIG or HOG? Looks like all are made very well but it looked like the vyce wouldn’t open as wide.

Michael (MPHREALLYSTUFF) I'm getting ready to buy a VYCE or RRS Leveling base with a clamp +AIAT Chassis Plate BA1-AT. Are there any pros or cons to one system over the other? Like stability or recoil impulse. Also will the new Avil-30 ballhead work with other tripods? I do realize the VYCE system makes it more universal for rifle mounting options.

I prefer, hard to hard connection (BAI-AT and Leveling base). It is fast and easy but the plate is required. I feel like more of the human errors are pulled out of the system when I use that setup. The VYCE is definitely much more of a universal, but with the rail on the bottom you can basically turn it into a quick release system as well with your rifle already cinched in (if you were going between glass and rifle on same tripod).

If you go with the VYCE, what would you be putting it on top of? Since you said VYCE or...

The new Anvil will be able to work with other tripods but you could loosen it if you spin left without taking off some of the tension. For other tripods it is simple threaded on, so like any right hand thread screw.....

just got the pig saddle, and at least in my family room, it holds my heavy prs rifle pretty firmly. thinking it will be enough for prs/games and hunting. i think with the rubber pads on bottom/sides it does allow a little flex which lets me fine tune my hold vs having to shift the tripod around or the like. don't think i'd spend the extra coin for the hog version or the vyce, but that's just me and i haven't tried them yet. i attached it to the end of my stock/chassis and essentially had the rifle somewhat cantilevered and left it for a few hours and while i didn't check that it stayed 'on target,' if it moved it certainly didn't move much.

On the subject of using the leveling base. Which model RRS tripod is generally agreed to be the best general purpose height? For anything from shooting in seated position on the ground (Indian seated) to upright . I'm 6 ft tall. Intend to use for hunting, classes and PRS. I plan on switching between the Vyce and Direct ARCA rail off the Leveling Base. Thanks ~ TP

The Hog Saddle hands down for military applications and proven so. The RRS is nicely made and perhaps better for range use, but doesnt handle sand and mud very well or freezing rain/ice very well and the knob design gets slippery.
We tested another shooting made in Europe, Ill post the name if I can remember it but it held the rifles better than the Hog Saddle.