• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RSR owners....do you wish you had gotten a 591?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
For any of you with the Surgeon RSR, do you wish that you had gotten the 591 action instead?

I am trying to decide which way I want to go for a tactical rifle (not a benchrest). I like the extra rail length on the RSR and I really like the $300 cheaper price. However I don't want to go $300 cheaper only to find a reason later on why I should have gone with the 591.

This will be for a rifle chambered in .308 or .260

Thanks

Re: RSR owners....do you wish you had gotten a 591?

Not an owner but I've built on and handled both. The RSR is by no means a "Cheaper" receiver in the quality department, only in the cost department. All things being equal, accuracy, function and feeding is going to be same/same. The only area I've seen any negative mentioned is in the ejection of the 591 and I haven’t heard that very often. Never seen any mention of the same concerning the RSR. Coupled with the SA DBM you’d have a pretty solid base for a killer platform.

I wouldn’t have any qualms in recommending the RSR to anyone if I didn’t offer a signature receiver. I say run with it in confidence.

To me the 591 is worth the little bit extra. But thats me.

It boils down to how warm and fuzzy you get about the integrated scope base and recoil lug. I like the stainless finish on the RSR.

I am leaning more towards the RSR. I like the extra length on the rail, and I am not too concerned that it's not one piece.

Saving cash is just added incentive.

I choose the RSR for a 6.5x47 build. I could of gotten the 591 but wanted stainless steel. I don't regret the decision at all. My next build is going to be a 7wsm and I am going with the 591 for the added strength of the larger round. I feel for the 308 or 260 RSR is fine.

I have a RSR on my 7WSM, it doesnt give anything to the 591. No regrets, the thought "damn, should have gone with the 591" never crossed my mind.

Go with the RSR, you wont regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am leaning more towards the RSR. I like the extra length on the rail, and I am not too concerned that it's not one piece.

Saving cash is just added incentive. </div></div>

The real benefit to a one piece scope rail is the elimination of movement, side to side and front to rear. Double pinning the RSR scope base also addressed that issue and eliminated it.

I really love my 591.

I like the idea of the rail built in, along with the recoil lug.

GG

Like my RSR. No complaints. Running the bolt is very smooth and ejects all cases a mile. Glad I didn't spend the extra $$ on 591.

everything i have built lately has been on an RSR. i dont think there is anything better for your intended purpose. i personally dont see the need for the integral rail. once you see how well the surgeon rail fits the rsr you will question the need for an integral rail as well. the ONLY thing i would change about the RSR is the extractor. a lot of folks like the remington type but i would prefer a sako or m16 extractor.

chuck