• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rucking back into shape?

Warrior_oh58d

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
Burlington, NC
So I've come to the realization that I'm getting fat(er) and this has got to come to an end. I've been out of the army for a little over a year and graduated th police academy around the same time. My physical activity has gone down to nothing but walking a patrol every now and again and I'm pretty done with it. So my brain clicked on the one physical activity I actually really enjoyed while still in and that's rucking. So my intention is to start rucking a 70lb pack 10k 3x a week at least to start. I know how to take care of my feet and have good broken in boots, I'm just looking for thoughts, suggestions or comments. I'm not trying to be Arnold here but I just want to do something I already know I enjoy and get back into some kind of shape other than the typical "fat lazy cop" that I'm terrified of becoming. Thanks!

Re: Rucking back into shape?

load your ruck with 70lbs of donuts that should motivate ya! just playin..

my fat ass is thinkin the same as you the winter here has been way to long time for some hikin.

That's what I'm sayin'. Ruckin can be a pretty peaceful activity and now that I don't have to worry about being yelled at for wearing earphones in uniform some music will help keep up the pace and push me through those first couple miles until my legs go numb and I can't feel the pain anymore. I've been trying to cut out the mountain dew from my nightly drink stops too. So far it's been nothing but water while working and milk, oj, and crystal light at home and I haven't been missing it too bad. And I know I don't need the 400 some calories worth of the stuff I was pouring down my gullet minimum each night

I load up my Kifaru Navigator with sand bags and hit the hills. I've never weighed it but I'd say it's about 50lbs easy. I don't really get much speed above a fast walk but the elevations kill me. If you really want to lose weight and get a 30 gallon tank hit the kettlebells. Do prolonged reps for minimal rest or do interval training. When you can do 40seconds of reps with 20 seconds of rest for 10 minutes you're not going to be too much of a porker.

Good luck to you.

I've been rucking alot lately myself to get back in shape, the last one I did was tuesday, 3.2 miles with about 80-90 pounds, thats including my IBA, mav vest and about 5 liters of water. I did it in just under an hour and felt pretty good except for the blisters on my feet and my left hip felt funky afterwards. I think I'm going to drop the weight back down and go for longer distances.

I don't have the military background, but have done quite a bit of backpacking. This time of year to get back into the swing of backpacking, I load up a pack and take off around town, or just do hill repeats. I recently have started using old tires for some of my workouts and plan to drag one of those for a little additional resistance.

Okay, are you going to be rucking or backpacking? As you know, there's a big difference between the two.

For those of you who haven't served in the Army or the Marines (I don't think that the Navy or the Air Force does this activity) I'll break it down for you:

Ruckmarching is a timed activity with a very quick pace (anywhere between 3-5 MPH) while under a substantial load (anywhere between 45 lbs being the lightest load and 120lbs. being the heaviest that I have encountered).

Backpacking is a much more leisurely activity. It is not timed, the loads usually aren't nearly as heavy, and you take your time while walking (I read somewhere that a good pace for backpacking is 1.5-2 MPH; that's what I read, but I'm sure there are people out there who move much faster than that, so don't chew me out for what I just quoted).

If your ultimate goal is to cut weight, do the following: cut out all processed white flour (that's right; no more donuts or white bread products) and simple sugars (soda, candy, etc.) and make carrots your "snacking friends." Do that along with your ruckmarching and I promise that you'll lose weight pretty quickly.

Rucking 3 times a week isn't that good for your joints. If you love it though why not. If you really want to lose weight it's not a bad choice as it should keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone. Why the heavy weight? Even training up for some sort of selection, I'd say 50 pounds maximum. Any more than that and your going to be going slower than you should(buy hr monitor) and risking injury. Instead of adding weight, speed is normally always better(this applies to weightlifting as well). I realize in the army there is the whole my ruck is heavier than yours and were always trying to load it up. Move faster and your body will thank you.

Dude,

Having been a slave to the Big Green Wart and the Dome of Obedience for over three decades I recommend for general fitness and fat burning no more than 35-45 pounds (including the weight of the ruck itself) and generally between 4 and 6 miles (an hour to hour-and-a-half) three times a week.

You risk degenerative spine compression and hip problems later in life that aren't going to just buff out.

Rucking, backpacking, tabbing, yomping, trekking, trail-hiking, whatever you want to call it is a great way to burn fat without overly stressing your system. It's not going to build cardio-vascular burst endurance, but it is a good way to get outdoors and boost or goose your metabolism.

It beats a treadmill all to hell.

Carried packs for years and had simular idea, which I paid for later. 1+ on light load 4-6 mph. or add heavy hands ( aka Power walking) do upper body work out while you walk ( also works core trying to stand straight while working with weights)

Might look funny but works, save your knees and back.

Excellent. Thanks for the input y'all. I'll be lowering the weight in the pack in the interest of increasing the pace. I guess I should have noted that I don't really intend on doing this forever, just to attain a goal and then change up the plan to something new

Do P90x....and incorporate your ruck on day 7, the off day. Just saying, it's worked for me.

You'll need to change your diet. That's just as important as the running.

Stew Smith has some good rucking/ running programs. Also the book "Get Selected" has a good rucking program in it. Good luck. I still walk the beat a couple times a week as well.

We have a few ways to train locally.

2.jpg

What your looking for is cross trainning/ crossfit trainning. Join a crossfit outfit in your area. They usually run about $100 a month. You get lean and mean.

I do the ruck thing as well 2 days a week, the only thing different is i also tote my bolt gun which ways 16 pounds, I walk a total of 2 miles thru the woods with it, not that far a distance but man you know you humped it!

There is a reason that most of the career infantry guys I know of have knee and back problems.

Force Marches are not your friend. They are a necessary evil for combat on a non-mechanized battlefield.

If you want to get into shape quick. Try crossfit. I guarantee it will smoke you like a pack of Kools and you won't need to buddy up to your chiropractor.

I carry a ruck when I need to, not because it's fun.

Now if you just want to hit the road and burn some calories, look into ankle weights. Me? I just prefer to run.