• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ruger 10/22 alaska trip

rockybrashear

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Cincinnati Ohio
im getting ready for a 14 day trip into alaska and im building a new ruger 10/22 with the polymer trigger assembly and synthetic stock for a varmint gun im replacing the mag release with a metal one but beyond that im a little stuck on what i might do next.im not worried about accuracy or optics so much as getting it ready for 14 days straight of hiking and harsh treatment. any ideas? anything at all.

Re: ruger 10/22 alaska trip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage7mil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the woods.
</div></div>

Yea, that's a good way to get help............

Keith

Re: Ruger 10/22 Alaska trip

At one time bush pilots and hikers loved the Remington Nylon 66 for it's light weight. Today the Ruger 10-22 with a TacSol barrel and quality red dot would be my choice as it is a feather lite combo. Member ykrvak would be a good source of info as to Alaskan woods as they are like no other. Regards

Re: Ruger 10/22 Alaska trip

I'd replace the Ruger BHO device that is a PIA with the one from volquartsen. They work great especially when you have the metal extended mag release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage7mil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im getting ready for a 14 day trip into alaska and im building a new ruger 10/22 with the polymer trigger assembly and synthetic stock for a varmint gun im replacing the mag release with a metal one but beyond that im a little stuck on what i might do next.im not worried about accuracy or optics so much as getting it ready for 14 days straight of hiking and harsh treatment. any ideas? anything at all. </div></div>

Had my 10/22 since 1966, its been a few places a few times in Alaska, just like me. Exactly what do you need to know about Alaska backcountry and harsh treatment with a 10/22?

Any aftermarket hammer drops right in and will be a big improvement, R/T has a selection of small parts to get the plastic housings working much better that supports the hammer of your choice, namely their presision hammer bushings and over size hammer pin or just get the whole sear kit or the whole Deluxe kit. Removing the slop out of the control parts will do a big justice to any 10/22 trigger group build. Also, their Auto Bolt Release plate actuates on a single pivot instead of all of that monkey motion of all of the other BHO plates out there, it is by far the best.

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ABR01

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RT-H472

http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RT-HP001

the woods of Alaska? This would be my next add-on:
Smith_&_Wesson_Model_500_flickr_szuppo.jpg

hey skeeter,

How does the RT differ from the volquartsen? With volquartsen unit to lock the bolt open manually you just pull it open and push the lock to catch. Release is just pull the bolt back and release.

How does the RT work?

im mainly concerned about weak points that might fail in colder temperatures or an unexpected fall. by the way "the woods" was just a joke. i didnt mean any disrespect. and we're not heading up right now we're leaving in may. and we're gonna be around the denali region. right now im just trying to get the best advice and plan ahead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage7mil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im mainly concerned about weak points that might fail in colder temperatures or an unexpected fall. by the way "the woods" was just a joke. i didnt mean any disrespect. and we're not heading up right now we're leaving in may. and we're gonna be around the denali region. right now im just trying to get the best advice and plan ahead. </div></div>

Sorry I didn't pick up on the joke.

I would try to keep it as stock as possible and use something like Remington's Dri-lube that is made for extreme cold weather. Good quality ammo like CCI mini-mags would be my choice.

just my .02

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey skeeter,

How does the RT differ from the volquartsen? With volquartsen unit to lock the bolt open manually you just pull it open and push the lock to catch. Release is just pull the bolt back and release.

How does the RT work? </div></div>

The factory re-worked Bolt Hold Open plates have a slotted lower hole from the factory that you have to manipulate the plate to the right location within the elongated slot in order to get it to operate. Most all of the after market plates followed suit for some reason and made their designs with the slotted hole still present when in fact it is not needed nor desireable. A single pivot point to engage or dis-engage the plate is so much easier and smoother in its actuation because there is no movement of the plate within the slotted hole, just a smooth exacting pivot either on or off. The plates are also designed to work in conjunction with the extended magazinePULL releases, a must have feature if you use high capacity magazines, but even just with factory magazines once you have one you won't want the conventional push type of magazine release ever again. The plates are also cheaper than most other aftermarket BHO plates as well.:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage7mil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im mainly concerned about weak points that might fail in colder temperatures or an unexpected fall. by the way "the woods" was just a joke. i didnt mean any disrespect. and we're not heading up right now we're leaving in may. and we're gonna be around the denali region. right now im just trying to get the best advice and plan ahead. </div></div>

Denali Fed or State or just the area, its a big area the size of a few states. What you doing?

Its not cold in May, can be around freezing at night but daytime highs into the 50s. Around 15 hours of usable daylight. Bugs not out yet until end of the month but I have had bugs much earlier. Snow still on the ground is most areas but breakup has lots of mud. 2000 we got 8" of snow on May 5th while I was in Talkeetna. 2002 it was 80F in Talkeetna.

My fav 22 is my Nylon66 for the bush (not woods) but my 10/22 has served me almost as well. 22/410 combo is very popular as is the Triiffecta.

Good luck and have fun be safe and need anything or help, just ask.

You can just dremel the factory bolt release- take the 'hanging hook' part off and enlarge the top of the opening a bit. It won't do the last round hold-open but it changes the bolt release from a two handed push-pull to a one-handed pull/release.

1911fan

A light weight SS barrel would be nice. LW to obviously keep the weight down and SS would be a lot easier to take care of for 14 days in the woods but unless you can find an factory SS barrel that would probably mean a scope which is sounds like you don't want?

Use some EEZOX lube. It is great, works dry doesn't attract dirt, works down to extremely low and up to extremely high temps.
Really slick stuff.