• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger 10/22 DIY Build. First time, and it is complete!

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Alright so these are the components that are on their way:

- New stripped Ruger receiver with picatinny scope mount and stock/action screw
- Action pins
- Magazines
- Barrel Clamp
- Eliminator stock from Stockys
- Ruger OEM bolt (couldn't push myself to spend so much more on a different one)
- KIDD bolt handle and springs
- Keystone Sporting Arms (KSA) 18" fluted heavy barrel (looking forward to trying this out)
- Volquartsen trigger group

Is this everything that I need or am I missing something? The receiver isn't confirmed yet but is it really worth spending $200-250 more on a Volquartsen receiver or will the ruger do everything I need it to?

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Short of a threaded receiver and barrel, there's little to be gained by changing the receiver - I'd save the money.

Sam

I would not bother with the billet stuff. I'd start simple and cheap and then swap out parts in search of better accuracy. They're easy to work on at home and get parts for. Mine's got a factory barrel and bolt (headspaced to .040" rim thickness), with a Fukwarson trigger group and in a shooting tunnel will do better than 1.5" at 100 yards with bulk ammo. Sub MOA with fancy Match ammo.

Build it cheap to get it running, then replace parts as necessary, IMHO.

Yea those were my initial thoughts on doing this. I figured I already paid the big bucks to get the Volquartsen trigger group instead of the $50 polymer Ruger one and bought what appears to be a decent barrel. I figure this will give me the accuracy I want and more. Honestly I am building this because I don't own a .22 rifle at the moment and the black birds are taking over the nests and bird houses around my property and I need something that can consistently off them at 50 yards.

I have owned factory savage rifles and marlins that did everything I needed them to, but I figured I would have a little bit of fun doing this build.