• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Hammer forged

Mall Ninja308556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2011
Anyone here have one of these? Im interested in whether or not the barrel is worth the extra cost?

My next build will be a practice plinker that will double as a SHTF back up (food) rifle. Something I can stock up massive amounts of ammo on the cheap and will be capable of getting me food.

For a while I have planned on a 10/22 in stainless until I saw the hammer forged barrel, man they sure are nice! =) What would you guys do?

Re: Ruger 10/22 Hammer forged

All the ruger barrels are hammer forged unless something has changed recently

All the heavy bull barrels are hammer forged I dont know about the smaller dia barrels

What you are really asking is can the Ruger HF barrel be precise enough within the killing power range of the .22LR cartridges which you would shoot to acquire said food supply.

Since you plan to have massive amounts of ammunition available... Yup it's a viable plan.

From what I can tell all the barrels are "now", as in recently, hammer forged. The difference being that the bull barrels dont get "finished" after the process leaving the cool hammer forging marks.

Soooo...

Now I really want this:

69918.png

Hammer forged isnt generally beneficial to accuracy, but Ruger lists this rifle model as a "target" model. In this case, I think the heavy contour and stainless will offset the draw back in accuracy, no?

My original plan was to get a steel lined aluminum bull barrel to conserve weight, but boy is that barrel sexy! =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mall Ninja762556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I can tell all the barrels are "now", as in recently, hammer forged. The difference being that the bull barrels dont get "finished" after the process leaving the cool hammer forging marks.

</div></div>
Where did you come up with the now??? Remington and Ruger have been using hammer forged barrels forever.

I have the model pictured above. Very nice and extremely fun to shoot. I got it as a long range trainer and slapped a bipod and a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 Mil-Dot on it. That hammer forged barrel is sexy IMO lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Firstroundhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the model pictured above. Very nice and extremely fun to shoot. I got it as a long range trainer and slapped a bipod and a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 Mil-Dot on it. That hammer forged barrel is sexy IMO lol. </div></div>

Have you ever shot it next to a standard barrel?

get the reg 10/22 blued or ss then upgrade at your leisure. not worth the extra money for factory ruger tgt model my opinion. upgrade your trigger group as soon as possible this will help as much as the barrel almost. at the ranges of the 22lr the stock pencil barrel will do fine until your able to upgrade plus when you upgrade you learn about your gun and how it works

Some shoot pretty well, come great.
If not great, Clark of other tuners(Nemo on RimFireCental) fix chamber and crown.

I have been thinking a lot about the weight and may go the pre-tensioned carbon bull barrel route instead.

The match trigger is definitely the best spent money on a Ruger you can buy!