• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Optics

TT

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2006
Everett, WA
Purchased a Ruger 10/22 compact for my 11 year old daughter. Sending it to CPC for their full tune up. Considering a scope but need advice. Will be used mainly at the range out to 100 yards but might get the chance to take it out plinking in the Cascades. Appreciate your suggetions.

p.s. prefer to spend a commensurate amount on the scope as the rifle...

Re: Ruger 10/22 Optics

Look at the Mueller line up . My buddy does consulting work for one of the custom 10-22 companies and has 3-4 of the 8-32's and probably as many of the 4.5-14's in service on 1000 dollar plus rigs and they are amazing at any price let alone the bargain basement prices they are offered at . They will also resolve parallax and focus issues clear down to 10 yards which is a must when shooting rimfires . My Daughter is getting the 4.5-14 mounted on her 10-22 Christmas rifle .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a link to a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 for $109.99 at Midway. I just ordered one for a .22. Not a bad price.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=746570 </div></div>

that is a huge scope on a .22
smile.gif

I have a 3-9 bushnell Im trying to sell. That could work.

I can get out to 250 with my 22 with it. Thats fun.

I second the Mueller Line. The guys over at Rimfirecentral swear by them. I picked one up and I am more than satisfied. With the Glass and the overall package. I have the APV on mine. Thinking about changing over to a Target model if they ever come up with a MIL/MIL

I just took off a Mk4 off my 10/22 build and stuck one on to see if it was a good piece of glass for sage rat killing come spring.. Hey that 100-$ Crossfire Vortex on that SWFA sale that they got is a pretty decent Rimfire scope and I think is getting overlooked because of the low price. I have bought cheep scopes in the 100-$ range and have tossed them strait to the trash can a dozen times but this is pretty good. It IS NO piece of shit and it is getting dialed-up on my badass 10/22 for shooting.
I got a few Kk4's, Nikon, weaver's and Uso to shoot & I am keeping this low priced Vortex scope. I am totally amazed as I thought for sure this was just going to be another 100-$ pipe dream strait to the trash can. I was going to stick the Nikon back on after I took the Mk4 off but this 100-$ Vortex is so-far is making the cut.
The 24X range is not necessary for rimfire but it is a 6-24 variable and the Obj. focus goes down to the 10 yrd mark for close range rimfire. Great field of view for a variable X . The glass is great and it has a very generous Diam. ocular with good eye relief that does not blur-out as you move up the power magnification. It tracks where you tell it to go and it hold POI also as this 10/22 rides on the floor of my truck every day of the week & gets shot most everyday of the week.. So far it has always been right-on every time I pick it up to shoot.

I'm happy with a Simmons AETEC 4x14 side focus on mine. Price was right, and it doesn't overwhelm the rifle.

Tasco makes a pair of MilDot scopes for about $80. I use the 6-24X42 Varmint target. Model VAR624X42M. They also have a 2.5-10X42, which I'd use for plinking/hunting, and the more powerful one for more precision target shooting. 75+MOA of elevation adjustment, covered 1/4MOA click target knobs, adjustable objective with a 15yd shortest focus.

These are not toys. My F Class .260 Rem Match Rifle wears one, as does my .30-'06 M70 lightweight hunter. Several years' worth of usage into the experiment, zero failures. Only quibble, the image could be a tad brighter. Two more on .22LR's.

I recommend them.

Greg

I have a Simmons 3-9x40 on my 10/22 Target, that I paid $40 IIRC.
It hits exactly where I aim, and prints ragged holes with the right ammo (Wolf ME in this rifle case). Never even thought of throwing more money on it.

Let the beating begin, however, I have a BSA Sweet .22 6-18x40 on mine and I love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tasco makes a pair of MilDot scopes for about $80. I use the 6-24X42 Varmint target. Model VAR624X42M. They also have a 2.5-10X42, which I'd use for plinking/hunting, and the more powerful one for more precision target shooting. 75+MOA of elevation adjustment, covered 1/4MOA click target knobs, adjustable objective with a 15yd shortest focus.

These are not toys. My F Class .260 Rem Match Rifle wears one, as does my .30-'06 M70 lightweight hunter. Several years' worth of usage into the experiment, zero failures. Only quibble, the image could be a tad brighter. Two more on .22LR's.

I recommend them.

Greg </div></div>

I've used both of those scopes on mine. I ended up using the 2.5-10, the 6-24 just seemed a little too much for it. The 6-24 that I had did seem a little hazy compared to the 2.5-10, but both are great for the price.

I think the Weaver Classic V-Series 1-3x20mm scope would be a very nice match for a compact 10/22 and would be a very good scope to learn how to shoot and fun to plink with. No it's not ideal for tight groups at long ranges but I don't think high magnification is a benefit to new shooters either

Have Randy add the Power Custom base to your rifle.
Use Burris Signature Z rings.
Make sure the scope has an Adj. Objective for target shooting.
Then spend $$ for a good scope.
For hunting I use a Burris 6X-AO.
For targets I use the Mueller 8X32.

HAhahaha ... A braver man than I .
all BSA, Tasco and Simmons have all ended-up in the trashcan that entered my hands . never had any luck with them at all. All I have ever bought had coke bottle bottom for glass and never held POI. I have had better luck and buying 50-$ vintage el paso Weaver fixed power's. Weaver 1950's laminated glass and turets are better than any of them I ever had.

I have researched this a lot since I am building another 1022 in SS. I have decided to purchase the Sightron in 2.5-10X32SS. Under $300. I am buying this one because it has 120 minutes of elevation which will help me shoot way out there plus a lifetime replacement warranty. They have less expensive scopes for under $200 with great glass and same warranty LIFE TIME REPLACEMENT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a link to a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 for $109.99 at Midway. I just ordered one for a .22. Not a bad price.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=746570 </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maschronic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a huge scope on a .22
smile.gif
</div></div>
Yes, it is. <span style="font-style: italic">But not as big as...</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25X 56mm DT:</span>
MOA1022SBOverkill8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">or a Premier Reticles Heritage 5-25X 56mm DT w/2" ARD:</span>
MOA1022wPH5-25XDT8x6.jpg

The big scopes work great, as you can see your groups on steel to 300 yards+, but they make the rifle top-heavy.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40 A.O. - works great and still provides a great image:</span>
MOA1022EGWBaseRight8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Falcon Optics 4-14X 44mm FFP Side-Focus:</span>
MOA1022wFalcon4-14XRS8x6.jpg

Keith

I use a 8x32x50 vortex crossfire. It works well and tracks good and it has enough adjustment to get me out to 200 yards(22.5 moa from a 50 yard zero)FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECHO4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let the beating begin, however, I have a BSA Sweet .22 6-18x40 on mine and I love it. </div></div>

i have that on one of my 10/22s. i havent shot it yet but i thought what the heck. i need a high mag scope in silver finish for my other 10/22 if anyone knows of anything...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tasco makes a pair of MilDot scopes for about $80. I use the 6-24X42 Varmint target. Model VAR624X42M. They also have a 2.5-10X42, which I'd use for plinking/hunting, and the more powerful one for more precision target shooting. 75+MOA of elevation adjustment, covered 1/4MOA click target knobs, adjustable objective with a 15yd shortest focus.

I recommend them.

Greg </div></div>

Is there anything like this on the market with target knobs?