• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger 10/22 recommendations for rings and base?

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I'm over at friends house for New Years celebration and he showed me his 10/22 Ruger but his rings and base look like they are barely held together because of a lack of gripping area /such a tiny grove that the rings clamp onto the base.

Any recommendations or brands that work good for this setup.
He has one of those tiny tubed rimfire scopes.
His rings are see thru but he doesnt really need to stick with that but it would be a plus if he could keep the see thru's.
Thanks
....SmokeRolls

Re: Ruger 10/22 recommendations for rings and base?

Buy a egw 20moa base .Evolution gun works and some decent rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 20incher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a egw 20moa base .Evolution gun works and some decent rings. </div></div>

Yup.

Thanks guys.....I'll pass it on
.....SmokeRolls

EGW and Burris

IMG_1192.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm over at friends house for New Years celebration and he showed me his 10/22 Ruger but his rings and base look like they are barely held together because of a lack of gripping area /such a tiny grove that the rings clamp onto the base.</div></div>
Thats' the crappy factory Ruger 10/22 base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any recommendations or brands that work good for this setup.
He has one of those tiny tubed rimfire scopes.
His rings are see thru but he doesnt really need to stick with that but it would be a plus if he could keep the see thru's.
Thanks
....SmokeRolls </div></div>
Have him dump those see-though rings and get some <span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold PRW Rings</span>. You can find them between $40.00-$50.00 all over. Theres' a lot of Leupold Haters out there, sometimes for good reason, but the PRWs' are solid, well finished, and fit well. Or he could spring for some <span style="font-weight: bold">Seekins Precision Rings</span>.

As far as the mount goes there are only two mounts I would use on a 10/22 - the Tactical Solutions 15 MOA base and the EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Base. I've used both - although the TacSol is better finished it isn't matte anodized.

I generally dislike EGW bases because they are typically taller than other manufacturer's bases for a given MOA (I dislike Ken Farrel bases for the same reason). The best thing about the EGW is that it is 20 MOA so you get an "extra" 5 MOA over the Tactical Solutions base.

The EGW is also an extended rail, which may allow certain scopes that would otherwise not be mountable on a 10/22. However, depending upon the particular scope's external layout and objective bell diameter and flare the extension may be a problem. I had to shorten the front end of the rail to allow proper mounting of my Falcon 4-14X 44mm.

Below are six (6) photos of my MOA 10/22 with various scopes and bases. Photo #1 shows a closeup of the action and an un-altered EGW 20 MOA rail, photo #2 shows an un-altered EGW 20 MOA rail with a Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O.. Photo #3, #4, #5 show my MOA 10/22 with the Falcon 4-14X 44mm, a PMII 5-25X 56mm, and a Heritage 5-25X 56mm sitting on top of my shortened EGW 20 MOA rail in respective order. Photo #6 shows my MOA 10/22 wearing a Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Base with a Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O..

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My custom MOA 17/4 SS Dual Lug receiver stuffed with Volquartsen CNC Bolt, Kidd Trigger, & threaded barrel. Note un-altered EGW 20 MOA Extended Rail:</span></span>
MOA1022BarreledAction8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O. & PRW LOWS. The scope just fit without shortening the EGW 20 MOA Extended Rail:</span></span>
MOA1022EGWBaseRight8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Falcon 4-14X 44mm & Seekins LOWS. The EGW 20 MOA Extended Rail has been shortened to accomodate the Falcon 4-14X:</span></span>
MOA1022wFalcon4-14XRS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PMII 5-25X 56mm DT Gen 2 XR CCW & Seekins HIGHS. The EGW 20 MOA Extended Rail has been shortened to accomodate the PMII 5-25X:</span></span>
MOA1022SBOverkill8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Premier 5-25X 56mm DT MTC Gen 2 XR & Seekins HIGHS. The EGW 20 MOA Extended Rail has been shortened to acccomodate the Premier 5-25X:</span></span>
MOA1022wPH5-25XDT8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O. & Leupold PRW LOWS on Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Base:</span></span>
MOACustom102238x6.jpg

Keith

Another option for a more classic sporter type ring is to buy Talley bases, and 1" or 30mm rings as needed. The Low rings will clear a 44mm obj on my factory sporter barrel, maybe even a 50mm, but mediums will clear a 50 for sure.

Tac-Sol 15MOA base with Warne Maxima rings. Very happy with this setup

EGW will re-cut their base for a fee of $20. I had them do 60 MOA for me, which gets me to 400 yards while still being able to zero at 25 yards with my Falcon 4-14FFP.