• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22Target or the Savage 64TRR-SR?

vferguson3006

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Maine
Hello rimfire guys,
I am 12 days into recovery from a torn rotator cuff tendon.
Obviously, I have several months of recovery from this surgery and am Rt. handed, Rt. eye dominant.
Having said that I want to still practice, allbeit left handed.
Since big bores are out, and my small bore rifles are all Rt. hand bolt, I thought I would get a semi-auto and go at it.
I have narrowed it down to the two rifles listed in the subject.
Who has any experience with the Ruger 10/22 Target/Tactical and why not the Savage 64 TRR-SR Tactical?
Any input, pros and cons would go a long way in decision making on my part on which rifle to buy?
Thanks, JOE

Re: Ruger 10/22Target or the Savage 64TRR-SR?

Well, it would appear everyone uses a bolt gun to practice with just like me, no input on semi-auto, semi-tactical .22's
I priced both of them, big difference in price.
Likely to go with the Savage, maybe I will post a writeup on that one.
Thanks, JOE

nothing wrong with the savage semi, but the 10/22 offers so much more as far as bolt on enhancements you could do in your own garage, whether as a long range fat barreled tack driver or a CQB styled carbine. that's why they are so darn popular.

there are more, little by little, things available for the savage 64, but when it comes to popularity and ability to "morph" into whatever configuration floats your boat, the ruger still reigns supreme, and it's not going anywhere for a while.

the 64 always was a plain jane type of rifle, but with the introduction of the newer models, their popularity should be gaining steam.

Thanks TP,
Nice common sense approach to the delima I am in.
The 10/22 does lend itself to a semi-custom build with readily available parts.
Since they are both semi's they cannot be held to the same accuracy standards as the bolt actions which I understand.
I have re-considered and believe I will purchase the Ruger and reach some middle ground with accessories since this setback should only be for the rest of the summer.
I am familiar with the 10/22's already, there is a Savage TR for sale in the SH classifieds as I type, never having seen one in person, this one has a pic. and is sort of butt ugly.
Not that ugly rifles and ugly people can't shoot well.
I might as well have a good looking rifle, one out of two ain't bad.
Thanks,JOE

My recommendation would be to the 10/22 due to the availability of things to improve it. Mine's a tack driver at 100 yds after a barrel and trigger change.

Having a 10/22 target model I would recommend getting the basic carbine for 200or so getting a green mountain barrel an upgraded hammer at the very least and a new stock bell and Carlson make good stocks for cheap it all that will run you about 550-600 my target model was 500 and I still upgraded trigger and the stock so I'm about 750 with out glass and the gm barrel will offshoot the factory heavy barrel any day.