• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/22 group pictures / info?

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
I love ruger bolt actions, they are built like tanks (their rifles and pistols, center and rimfire) plus they have a great look in my opinion.

however, with my experience with their centerfires, i could never get one to shoot close to an impressive or "acceptable" group at 100 yards, no matter what the load or caliber. i don't know if the 77/22 follows in their big brother's footsteps.

I'm wanting to build another silhouette hunting class rifle for next season, it's either going to be a CZ455 or i was contemplating a ruger 77/22 this morning.

would anyone like to share (if they have any) their 50 and 100 yard group pictures from a non accurized / tacticooled 77/22 sproter type barreled rifle?

Re: Ruger 77/22 group pictures / info?

Ill have to dig thru some pictures but i have some good groups from my factory 77/22 sporter barrel paddle stock before i put the lilja barrel on it. Ive since done some work to it which was easier than finding after market parts for it. Give me some time ill see what i can find.

How much are you willing to spend? I here the new 77/22 comes with the barrel threaded into the receiver unlike the older 1s. All my 77/22 & 10/22 were either bought from Clark or sent something in and had a make over on it. The 77/22 that i bought comeplete some years back in 22mag in a brown laminate stock and matt stainless has gone up in price quite a bit. Had it bedded by them also and is a tack driver. Bought a Volquartsen 17hmr lite weigth barrel for it to change out calibers. If i was going to do another i would look for a like new rifle older style and send it to them as the threaded 1s now will cost an extra 100.00 bucks if sent in like this. Not sure if or how much of a difference the new rifles with the barrels threaded into the receiver make in accuracy but i like the option of changing out the barrels myself. Seems alot of manufactors are going the route of interchangable barrels and wonder why Ruger went the other way. My next 1 i am going to send the bolt to CPC and let them give it their make over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are you willing to spend? </div></div>

as a hunter trapper ed instructor, CZ offers HTE instructors a discount directly through them, so i can essentially get a 455 american .22lr / .17 HMR COMBO for around $410.00, and just .22lr for $309.00.

actually doing a little more research from my original post this morning, for the neighborhood of what a 77/22 goes for these days, i'll get the CZ455.

sorry for what turned out to be a BS post, i should've woke up and had a coffee before i posted this morning.

That sounds like a good deal on the CZ,s. The price of new 77/22 rimfires are getting high and are really exceeding on what i would spent for it. The only reason why is i can never leave new stuff alone and always want to customize it. That is why most of times if i am wanting another rimfire i will buy from Clark or whom ever. I love the CZ,s and for what they are they are priced right. My only down fall is i am not a person who likes wood stocks for what i do and wish they offered the type laminate stocks that Rugers does from the get go and not have to go after market. Good luck and it sounds like the CZ is the way to go for you.

I've got two. One I had threaded and have a Spectre suppressor on however just have a 4 power Leupold on it but have shot squirrels with it out to 40 yards. Not really bragging rights but other than the suppressor it's box stock. I've also got a CZ 453 .22 that I had threaded and I shoot it a lot here at the house but mostly at 25 yards. I need more scope on the Ruger and a lot better scope on the CZ.

thanks guys, when it comes to a dedicated silhouette rifle between the 77/22 and the CZ for next year, it looks likes i'm probably going to go with my first thought, sticking with the CZ based on price as both can effectively do "minute of ram" well @ 109M.

i can take the extra $ that it would take to get a 77/22 and put it toward glass, (i have a nikon buckmaster target dot in mind).

itsy bitsy
smile.gif

i don't really know off hand, but looking through them, they seem "just right" to me.

Sorry took so long for pictures got stuck on midnight shift past week...... anyways I'm sorry to hear your going with the CZ my factory 77/22 shot lights out if i could only leave a good gun alone but i cant jad to make it into my own custom. You'll find to different groups i shot below with it both groups off of a bipod with CCI Standard Velocity rounds

photobucket-6983-1353112705015.jpg

Hello,
I've posted these here before, but I still think there cool.
I know..... I built them for my boys so I'm a little bias. LOL
But with that said, they still flat out shoot.......
And yes..... There's a lot of work in these.
There's not one square inch that I didn't mod in one way or the other.
Enjoy
DSC01843.jpg
DSC01847.jpg

Picture4447.jpg
Picture4448.jpg

Picture4303.jpg

Reactions: FuhQ

I have seen these pictures before on here. Those damn rifles are so friggin nice it's not funny. Thats what i call the cats meow on building a Ruger rimfire.

Reactions: GS1000SN

I would be curious to know the total build cost of some of these.
I have a standard older wooden stocked on that i'm getting slightly over 1 inch groups at 50 yard and a stainless one that will not do that good.

yeah that hinge project is great.

i think mp5______ outlined the project in a thread, perhaps worth bumping it, they are pretty darn sweet.

can't seem to find the build thread if there was one.

thanks for the additional group posting hillbilly.

Hey Guys

Thank you for the kind comments. When I have time, I'll need to make a list of what I did to complete this project.

I added a new picture on my original post above to show you the scale of the new rifle compared to a stock one.
They are tiny, But OOOh... so sweet. I love when my boys let me have a turn with them. LOL

Thank you

What I did was use a 77/22 VBZ(varmint) barrel with the appropriate spacers on a 10/22 for a hunter silhouette rifle. On the 10/22 this tifle can do around 1" @100yds with CCI standard velocity ammo.I don't take pics of my groups so "Boy Scouts Honour". Now I have this rifle in a Volquartsen/McMillian stock and a Kimber HS. If I didnt have these rifles I'd have no hesetation to use a 77/22 VBZ,have CPC tweek the trigger and whatever and drop it in a proper stock for Hunter class silhouette. The barrel on that rifle is a medium weight tapered barrel that is about a heavy as you could put on a hunter rifle.

Well they are long on looks and short on accuracy. Sent it to CPC and he will make it shoot. If I bought a new one off the shelf it would go to him before I shot it. The image below is five shots. Prior to having it tuned you could figure on .75" at best.

photo22sw.jpg

I know this is an old post, but I'm impressed by some of these groups from a Ruger 77/22. I've had several of them in .22, .22wmr and .17 hmr and am pretty much conviced that the their barrels are about a full choke.

My CZs retired all of my Rugers. It's a shame since the 77/22s are look good and are rather solid, but I've never been able to find the magic key to them.

Chris

Reactions: GS1000SN

Son of a bitch, those Rugers are bad ass
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mp5sd/n/k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
Enjoy
DSC01843.jpg
DSC01847.jpg

Picture4447.jpg
Picture4448.jpg

Picture4303.jpg
</div></div>

I love the ruger if only a guy could get stocks and other accessories for it. Everything is so blasted expensive to make it the cats meow.

Hello,
Enjoy
DSC01843.jpg
DSC01847.jpg

Picture4447.jpg
Picture4448.jpg

Picture4303.jpg

MP5 those are gorgeous! If you don't mind me asking about those stocks, are they aftermarket? It almost looks like you just cut that yourself, and install a hinge. Sorry if you already answered this, it's hard for me to keep up.

Is there a thread that shows how to turn a std. stock into a folder anywhere on this site? Those itty-bitty 77/22s look like truck gun supremes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are you willing to spend? </div></div>

as a hunter trapper ed instructor, CZ offers HTE instructors a discount directly through them, so i can essentially get a 455 american .22lr / .17 HMR COMBO for around $410.00, and just .22lr for $309.00.

actually doing a little more research from my original post this morning, for the neighborhood of what a 77/22 goes for these days, i'll get the CZ455.

sorry for what turned out to be a BS post, i should've woke up and had a coffee before i posted this morning.
you are making the correct decision.

I just wish there was a KRG bravo or MDT chasis for the 77 series

Reactions: mrt949
Tacticool stock and Shilen barrel

Attachments

• 0DDAA300-424D-4FD6-8040-C3CF92A4B82B.jpeg
    0DDAA300-424D-4FD6-8040-C3CF92A4B82B.jpeg
    866.7 KB · Views: 78
  • A9CAA3CC-360E-44D4-90EE-D5EDF155BEA7.jpeg
    A9CAA3CC-360E-44D4-90EE-D5EDF155BEA7.jpeg
    849.6 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Sniperstud