• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/22

diver9

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
does anyone have any experience with the riger 77/22? i want to get the stainless steel with synthetic stock in .22lr. any input would be greatly appreciated! also if you know of any aftermarket parts post links!

Re: Ruger 77/22

I have had one of these rifles for maybe 15 years or so and I think it's excellent. I feed it Winchester subs which it likes though CCI are a reasonable second. I have taken some amazing shots with the rifle, I recently took a rabbit about 80 yds out which was behind a tree and in a hollow, the most that was visible was the top 1/4 of it's head. I couldn't miss that night with numerous rabbits all head shot some taken very quickly after sighting. Last week I shot 5 rabbits in under 10 seconds not bad going for a bolt action rifle !
I haven't cleaned the rifle all the time I have had it, not because I am lazy, its just that it remains very accurate. The composite stock is an aquired taste however I really like the look of stainless rifles hence my purchase of a second the Sako 6.5x55. The bolt system and safety are particularly well made and when you compare the rifle to say the CZ equivalent the Ruger wins hands down. I have a cheap Tasco 'scope on mine but it does the job.

Ruger77-22-1.jpg

If you like the looks of the rifle go for it, you won't regret it.

yeah that looks just like the rifle and god to hear i am very excited for it. i have a nice leupold waiting!

spot: thats a good idea but im looking to use this rifle as a plinker/trainer as well as a pack rifle.

Ruger7722.jpg

Yep I had one. I didn't like the hollowed out buttstock so I made filler pieces out of plastic and covered them as well as the grip and forend filler panels with Camo Tape. I used this Rifle like this for a number of years and always figured it shot as good as I could.

Then one day I decided to upgrade it and make it into a Custom Heavy Barrel Rifle.

Ruger7722After.jpg

I outfitted it with a Volquartsen Laminated Stock, 20" Clark Custom Guns Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel, and did a total rework on the trigger including an adjustable overtravel stop.

I shot it this way for a year and then decided to do some reshaping on the stock.

CustomRuger7722-1.jpg

I lowered and reshaped the top of the grip for a totally different feel. My daughter now uses this rifle every winter for our Indoor Bench Rest League.

Larry

I have an old ruger 77/22 sporter and love it. As others have said, just a great rifle. I would recommend doing Clark's upgrade package on it...new barrel, reworks the trigger, etc. at around 400-500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get it, then put a Volquartsen sear in it, shoot!

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/237-target-sear-for-77-22</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">spot: thats a good idea but im looking to use this rifle as a plinker/trainer as well as a pack rifle.

</div></div>

Yes, ok, it will be perfect for all that!

spot: thanks for the help ! do you know if they make iron sights for this rifle? if not tech sights should look into that.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YHIRSr2tFpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YHIRSr2tFpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Only way to go with the 77/22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">spot: thanks for the help ! do you know if they make iron sights for this rifle? if not tech sights should look into that.</div></div>

When you say 'they', I am not aware of Ruger making any. To add to that I have never seen any, sorry.

I would love to have one, but the cost (for a rimfire) is too rich for my blood. Nice rifles though.

yeah they are a bit expensive but for 575 average that aint bad considering ammo costs next to nothing.

The 77/22's have had some accuracy issues in the past. However alot of those issues were due to the barrel.

The new 77/22's are suppose to have a threaded barrel instead of the older style pinned barel.

The Ruger web site still shows the rifle barrels as being pinned. But I have it on good hands that the new barrels are now threaded. So make sure the one you buy has a threaded barrel, and not a pinned barrel.

They are also known for some slight chambering problems also. Some say the rim is machined a bit too large, and the chambers are a bit sloppy.

I know I have had a couple that did not shoot very well. But I think if they changed the barrel that would be a good thing.

The magazine system is second to none for a hunting rifle. Tom.

My Remington 504T out shoots my 77/22 but the clips on the 77/22 are 100% reliable compared to the 504T JUNK clips that work when they feel like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Remington 504T out shoots my 77/22 but the clips on the 77/22 are 100% reliable compared to the 504T JUNK clips that work when they feel like it. </div></div>

what kind of accuracy are you looking at with each? mainly the 77 22. have you brought it out to 200 yards?

diver9 pm me, I have a all-weather 77/22 + newly purchased, upgraded components that haven't been installed yet. I was going to build it into a trainer, but have gone a different direction.

At 50yds my 504T shot .5s and .4s with wolf best was .331. The 77/22 shots .6s factory trigger and stock. At 100 the 77/22 was sub inch at times but mainly 1 1/8. The 504T is a solid .7 at 100. I need a differnt scope for 200yds.

mp5: beautiful rifles your kids are very lucky! what kind of barrels are those?

A HUGE QUESTION: why in the HELL does ruger on there website show a completely different rifle for the ruger 77 22 with mod. #7009 and on every website selling the rifle it comes with a boat paddle stock with a shiny action and barrel finish?? the model on rugers website looks like a much nicer rifle! is it just an older model?

I've got a 77/17 .17HMR, truly one of the most accurate rimfires I've ever owned. I plan to pick up a 77/22 eventually.

17sJPG.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mp5sd/n/k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built these for my kids.

.22 WM and .17 HMR

Enjoy

Picture4447.jpg
</div></div>

Where can I find that folder kit?

....I wish I had bought a second VBZ when I got my first one for $399.....hind sight is a bizzle....

does anyone have any experience with the 24" .22lr that ruger makes. mod #7021

Hello Drive9

The barrels are made by Volquartsen, don't buy there's go for a KIDD barrel.
Volquartsen has poor customer service, and there Barrels are not as good in re guard to quality as KIDD's. IMO

My .02

thanks mp5! and their twist rates seemed a little fast for .22lr. it was something like 1-9?!?!

I have a late model fiber stock blue barrel that is screwed in. I did the Volquartsen sear and spring and I can keep it in the 10 ring at 50 yards with a 3x9 Nikon EFR on it. It keeps up with my CZ with no issue.