• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American *223* Stock Replacement

Yeah, I got a bit off track on my purpose with the 6.5 grendel AR mag talk with greg which is what I was trying to address there with his ar mag compatibility, not my 223 compatibility.

To many different options and directions lol
Yes, but you know what? Ruger has done a great job with the American series of rifle updating them to better suit the market. Make it a bit difficult at times though!

Reactions: spife7980
Hi Spife,

We have two different style of the 223/556 magazines, one sporting the shorter plastic lips and another with the longer extruding lips. If anyone is interested in ordering the longer ones, please shoot us an email prior to ordering and I can make sure we include the proper magazine with your order. Thank you!
Zach @ Accurate-Mag
[email protected]
Just sent an email about these. The zach@ email got bounced back (I removed the spaces) but the info@ email seems to have worked.

Apparently someone ordered both of the in-stock mags and theirs somehow got processed before my order of one... so thanks for that whittaker guns, not!

Spife,

Shot me a PM. I can lend you my Ruger mag until you get one sorted. I'm not going to be shooting for a few weeks, maybe months, so no sense in it just sitting on the bench (and I have other .223 mags as well). Lemme know...

Spife,

Shot me a PM. I can lend you my Ruger mag until you get one sorted. I'm not going to be shooting for a few weeks, maybe months, so no sense in it just sitting on the bench (and I have other .223 mags as well). Lemme know...
Appreciate it but I don’t even have the rifle back from keystone yet. I’ll probably go for whichever stock puts on the biggest discount for July 4th so I’ve got awhile at least. I’ve emailed accurate mag, I’ll see what they say.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Hope you get good news. My whole idea was to be able to shoot long loaded 223 or I would have just stuck with the factory stock.

Awesome I look forward to a follow up. Meanwhile I emailed Magpul and got this reply so hopefully we will have multiple options eventually.

Thank you for contacting us.

When we tested the Hunter american stock in .223/5.56 we used the Accuracy International 10 round polymer magazines but, they have since been discontinued by the manufacturer.

To be perfectly honest, we have heard mixed results with the other manufacturers magazines functioning reliably in our Hunter American Stock with the .223/5.56 cartridges. We have heard the best but, still mixed results with either the MDT polymer magazines or the Accurate-Mag magazines.

In the interim, Magpul is aware of the general feeding issues with .223/5.56 or similarly sized cartridges in this platform from various aftermarket magazines, and evaluation of additional recommendations and a potential Magpul branded solution are underway.”

Please keep an eye on the website from time to time for a release date on a Magpul AICS Pattern .223/5.56 PMAG.

Thanks,

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Magpul has been saying that for quite awhile now though. Don’t put all your eggs into that basket.

(hopefully fate makes me eat crow now)

Optics planet had a ruger oryx on sale for a couple bucks off plus the July 4th 10% to make it 350 to my door. No brainer done deal. Just barely more than the boyds but a chassis and I get to rep another mdt product. I appreciate the work mdt!

I can report that the ruger oryx in combination with the extended lip accurate mag has feed the 10 rounds of 223 I put in the mag without a hitch.
From this

To this

Last edited:
Hell yeah! Just to be clear, which version of the American is that, rotary mag or pmag? Wanting to do the exact same thing.

Also, is that a new barrel too?

Hell yeah! Just to be clear, which version of the American is that, rotary mag or pmag? Wanting to do the exact same thing.

Also, is that a new barrel too?
It’s originally a rotary model american in 300bo. And yep, new barrel so it’s now a 223

Awesome. Thank you. Thinking of buying a 223 model and didn’t want to without the mags being sorted out and have been lurking your thread for a while. Glad you got it figured out and thanks!

Good news. I've got a ruger american predator in .223 that I have been holding off on upgrading the stock on because finding AICS style .223 mags is damn near impossible. Looks like I can finally get rid of that cheap ruger stock and upgrade it.

Awesome. Thank you. Thinking of buying a 223 model and didn’t want to without the mags being sorted out and have been lurking your thread for a while. Glad you got it figured out and thanks!
Good news. I've got a ruger american predator in .223 that I have been holding off on upgrading the stock on because finding AICS style .223 mags is damn near impossible. Looks like I can finally get rid of that cheap ruger stock and upgrade it.
Yep, just message these guys when you place your order, I did it before to make sure, and theyll get you the correct mag.

"We have two different style of the 223/556 magazines, one sporting the shorter plastic lips and another with the longer extruding lips. If anyone is interested in ordering the longer ones, please shoot us an email prior to ordering and I can make sure we include the proper magazine with your order. Thank you!
Zach @ Accurate-Mag
[email protected]"

For anyone following along on this thread...

The Indian Creek Design MoFo chassis that uses AICS magazines works phenomenally with 223. I’m personally using the now discontinued “Ruger 90458” magazines, but I saw on posts here that you can still get the magazine directly from Accurate Mag by contacting them directly.

I’ve walked 2 guys through “tuning” the Ruger polymer magazines. Basically what needed to be done was sanding the OUTSIDE of the magazine body, to allow it to sit further up into the action. As the “fat” polymer magazine body hangs up on the action itself.

If you run an AR15 magazine model Ruger American, and wish to continue doing so, Indian Creek Design also has an AR15 magazine version chassis. BUT, if your rifle used the rotary magazines in the factory stock, and your bolt body does NOT have the extensive milling done to it, the AR15 magazine chassis will NOT work for you. As the bolt cannot close on an AR15 magazine unless it has had the bolt body milled out.

Attachments

• 7DE787F3-D037-4183-9DFB-CA36729FAFF8.jpeg
    7DE787F3-D037-4183-9DFB-CA36729FAFF8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
I've been wanting one of those ICD chassis. It looks like they may have a longer arca and m-lok forend on the way.

If you haven’t upgraded yet, or seen the release, the Johnny(arca, m-lok) fore end has been released and it is amazing.

Linked is a walk around video of my RAP 223 in the ICD MoFo with Johnny fore end.

So just to be clear, the accurate mag as listed above with extended feed lips will feed correctly in a Magpul stock with the Magpul DBM kit???? Any word on a fix from Magpul??????? Really sad to see such a good stock come from such a KLUGED up company.

So just to be clear, the accurate mag as listed above with extended feed lips will feed correctly in a Magpul stock with the Magpul DBM kit???? Any word on a fix from Magpul??????? Really sad to see such a good stock come from such a KLUGED up company.

You’d still likely have to use JB Weld or a similar product to build up the magazine catch....the issue is that the magazine will sit too low below the action...so you have to do something to raise the magazine up higher into the action

It should.
Not sure why he thinks the mag would sit any lower than any other mag.
I didnt have the extended lip model mags when I had my magpul hunter stock so I cant speak from direct experience... but the regular aics 223 mags were fine location wise aside from letting go of the round before it had started into the chamber.

Same experience here with the aics mags. I wanted a higher level of confidence before I spend another 65-70$ on a magazine. I attempted to mod a MDT mag, to no avail. I hate having a $250 stock that makes my rifle a single shot. Sooooo uncalled for, with just a little thought on Magpul's part. I find it unbelievable that a modern company could make such a minor league mistake. This issue has been going on for years. They should refund all Magpul Hunter Ruger Ranch .223/.300blk without question, regardless of condition, or maybe hire a college grad who went to Quality Control 101.

Same experience here with the aics mags. I wanted a higher level of confidence before I spend another 65-70$ on a magazine. I attempted to mod a MDT mag, to no avail. I hate having a $250 stock that makes my rifle a single shot. Sooooo uncalled for, with just a little thought on Magpul's part. I find it unbelievable that a modern company could make such a minor league mistake. This issue has been going on for years. They should refund all Magpul Hunter Ruger Ranch .223/.300blk without question, regardless of condition, or maybe hire a college grad who went to Quality Control 101.
Yeah, I got mine from optics planet when it was on a black friday or christmas sale and they offered no questions returns. They wont question it because they will keep some of your money to cover the return shipping but I was glad I wasnt saddled with it at the time. I think the accurate mag will work for you though.

If not... whoops. sorry.

It should.
Not sure why he thinks the mag would sit any lower than any other mag.
I didnt have the extended lip model mags when I had my magpul hunter stock so I cant speak from direct experience... but the regular aics 223 mags were fine location wise aside from letting go of the round before it had started into the chamber.

Because Magpul went outside the “usual” specifications of AICS. They made their magazine catch on their 308 magazines “extended” compared to normal AICS magazines...which means the Magpul magazines sit higher up into the action than any other brand magazine.

With 308 sized cartridges, it’s usually not an issue using another brand of AICS magazine in the Hunter stock.

But with the 223 it does become an issue. Magpul knows it’s an issue. Which is why they claim they are working on a 223 magazine for the Hunter stock. I wouldn’t hold your breath on seeing that before 2021 though at the rate Magpul develops products

I am talking specifically about Ruger Americans in 223 in the Hunter stock...for anyone with a Hunter on a R700 in 223, I have no experience with it so I won’t say here or there if it’s an issue with R700’s....but with the Ruger Americans, it is a very well known issue.

Well shit. I had no idea this was a problem. I just took delivery of my Magpul stock for my Ruger American Ranch and was going to start searching out some mags to try out. Really hope I don't end up with a paperweight stock.
I find myself in the same position, have you come across any solutions????

Well, received .223 extended mag lip magazine from accurate mags. It was a NO go. Still not carrying round into chamber. Worked 2 rounds out of five. Is there a mod to the accurate mag that I might try???/

Well, received .223 extended mag lip magazine from accurate mags. It was a NO go. Still not carrying round into chamber. Worked 2 rounds out of five. Is there a mod to the accurate mag that I might try???/

Test my theory. Use one hand or something to push the magazine up into the action and then try cycle rounds while the magazine is sitting up higher in the action

Tried holding the mag tighter with off hand. Still no go. Also, round gets pushed down in mag by bolt. However, when I push up and back with the AI polymer mag, I get 100% functionality. I know the AI mags are no longer made, but I have 2. Any suggestions????

Tried holding the mag tighter with off hand. Still no go. Also, round gets pushed down in mag by bolt. However, when I push up and back with the AI polymer mag, I get 100% functionality. I know the AI mags are no longer made, but I have 2. Any suggestions????
Take some pics of each configureation, accurate sitting normal, aics sitting normal, then pushed up etc so we can tell whats actually going on.

Judging by what you said about the bolt pushing a round down in the mag...I’m assuming your rifle was a Rotary magazine version, not the AR15 magazine version

The newer versions of the rifles, the bolt got a nice bevel added to it, on the “uprise” to the main bolt body, behind the 3 locking lugs.

It was pretty common for that area, pre-bevel, to get caught up on the top round in the magazine while stripping a round...I “beveled” that area slightly as well as the backside of the locking lug on the lug that is “down” while cycling the bolt. The backside of that lug would catch the shoulders on the top round in my magazine while pulling the bolt back. Giving it a slight bevel allowed it to ride over the case shoulder rather than dig into it and get caught

I would prefer not to change the bolt, as I am not a gunsmith and it would seem to raise liability.

I would prefer not to change the bolt, as I am not a gunsmith and it would seem to raise liability.

Ten four. Just thought I’d put the information out there. What you decide to do with your rifle is entirely your choice.

I saw you made another post about a 243 and I don’t recall all of it...do you currently own one or thinking about buying one?

I don't have a 243. If the ruger 243 american will fit the magpul stock, (that I already own) it would be peachy. The magpul stocks seems to work for the .308 family. I have a Magpul in 6.5 creedmoor and have no issues with magazine or feeding.

I have a .243 Ruger american predator in the Magpul hunter stock and a 6.5 CM Ruger American predator in a Magpul hunter stock. I have had zero feeding issues with the mag that comes with the Magpul stock for the Ruger Americans. I have had issues using the magpul AICS mag for the Rem 700 feeding in the Rugers. The mags that come with the Ruger American Magpul hunter have a dark brown follower instead of grey follower and have a extra bump on them that aids in feeding the Rugers.

I am still waiting to drop my .223 RAP into a Magpul stock just because it has been collecting dust and doesn't get shot that often and I don't want to spend the money on chasing down .223 mags and the stock for a rifle that sits and is primarily for the occasional kid that comes out shooting.

I have a .243 Ruger american predator in the Magpul hunter stock and a 6.5 CM Ruger American predator in a Magpul hunter stock. I have had zero feeding issues with the mag that comes with the Magpul stock for the Ruger Americans. I have had issues using the magpul AICS mag for the Rem 700 feeding in the Rugers. The mags that come with the Ruger American Magpul hunter have a dark brown follower instead of grey follower and have a extra bump on them that aids in feeding the Rugers.

I am still waiting to drop my .223 RAP into a Magpul stock just because it has been collecting dust and doesn't get shot that often and I don't want to spend the money on chasing down .223 mags and the stock for a rifle that sits and is primarily for the occasional kid that comes out shooting.

Be careful. It seems the 308, 6.5, 243 all function fine in the Magpul stock. However, 223, 300blk, DO NOT feed properly. I have tried different mags, modification of mags to no avail. This is a known problem to Magpul but no solution as of yet....

Anyone tried the Ruger “90562” 223 mags?

I know guys that use it in a Gen 2 factory stock that uses AICS magazines and another that uses it in the ICD MoFo chassis. They all had to sand material off the outside of the magazine body to allow the mag to get up into the action for the bolt lug to grab a round and feed properly

Anyone tried the Ruger “90562” 223 mags?

I haven't tried them in a Ruger American, but do run them in a Bighorn TL3. I had to cut the feed lips back quite a bit with a dremel to get them to function. They extended too far forward and wouldn't seat in the bottom of the action. After the modification (I cut them back to where their profile matches an Accurate 223 mag) they've been 100%.

Magpul finally released theirs so I sent them a email asking if it would work in an American with their stock and they said yes. The reply felt generic so I asked a follow up and haven’t heard back yet.

who is going to be the guinea pig?