• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Hunter

RCBorries

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
Anybody else have any experience or own the Ruger American Hunter? What do you guys think of them? I'd love to hear any info or experience you have.

After much debate i broke down and purchased one. For better or worse and contrary to what most are told about the Ruger American Hunter, they are not just a RAP with the Magpul Hunter stock. They actually have a much heavier barrel (.850 @ muzzle) than the RAP as well as the RPR. The barrel is shorter at 20" which is appealing to some but not to most in the precision rifle world. It also comes with a muzzle break and between the weight and break this thing is quite pleasant to shoot in 6.5 creedmoor. Now I'm not sure if this classifies in the "precision rifle" category but it is the most precise rifle I own as I am not a long range or precision guru and/or veteran.

There is not an overwhelming amount or info or reviews out yet on the net on this particular rifle so I was hoping some of you guys own them and could share your experience with them. How accurate as re you guys finding them to be? I know I am loosing some velocity with the 20" barrel but with a Nikon Black FX1000 4-16 it will most likely be plenty for me and my as I don't plan to compete (that of
ften if any) in F-class or bechrest matches but then again who knows, I might compete in a few in the future just to get some experience under my belt and have some fun.

I have ran roughly 150 rounds through it so far (making sure to break the barrel in properly) and shot out to 400yds (furthest shot I have in my property behind my house). All and all the rifle it seems to be very accurate. I've shot several 100yard groups under 1/2 MOA and even shot (5) 5 shot groups at 400 yards and averaged around 1/2 MOA with Hornady Match 140gr The rifle seems to love the Hornady Black 140s as well for anything out to 400 which is great because they are priced pretty cheap. Shot 10 groups ((8) 3 shot groups, (1) 5shot group and (1) 6 shot group)
this past weekend and despite a 10-15mph
crosswind and I still managed a .82 avg MOA with one or the groups group being .224MOA.

Anywho, I'd love to hear you opinions, input and/or advise. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200210_203702.jpg
    20200210_203702.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 20200210_204337.jpg
    20200210_204337.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 554
  • 20200209_213952.jpg
    20200209_213952.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 566
  • 20200209_163414.jpg
    20200209_163414.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 513
  • 20200209_163431.jpg
    20200209_163431.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 528
Reactions: issDaemon
I own one, it’s a Varmint model, my primary hunting rifle. 100% stock, shoots sub minute with my hand loads. I have seen almost half minute with 3 shots, but the barrel is pretty damn thin, and I don’t take 3 shot groups into account for shit.

If I did, I would be able to say one of my PWS shot Tula steel cases sub half minute because I was able to get 3 rounds in almost the same hole...sheer luck/happenstance. Rounds 4 and 5 landed in the next county.

It’s accurate, but I would not label it a precision rifle.

Sounds like it's plenty precise. I think barrel length is sometimes overstated when it comes to precision. If anything, I think a shorter barrel can sometimes be more precise than a longer barrel (assuming the right load is found). The shorter barrel and lower MV might make accuracy at longer distances a little more difficult, but still more than capable.

Reactions: RCBorries
I’ve been really interested in them. I actually really like the Magpul stock. Seems like a good cross over rifle at a great price. Glad to hear yours was accurate. There is really not much info on them. Is the barrel 5r rifled like the RPR? I wish there was a way to attach a pic rail closer to the magazine well for tripod use.

I’ve been really interested in them. I actually really like the Magpul stock. Seems like a good cross over rifle at a great price. Glad to hear yours was accurate. There is really not much info on them. Is the barrel 5r rifled like the RPR? I wish there was a way to attach a pic rail closer to the magazine well for tripod use.
Yes, I actually bought it with intentions to use as somewhat of a dual purpose rifle, long range hobby shooting as well as a rifle I could bring in the woods and hunt with if I wanted to. Even though it's pretty heavy, its still way more realistic to bring hunting then a RPR. As far as it having 5r rifling, I'm not sure but now that you mention it, I am curious to know as well. For the price, I really couldn't be happier, although, I must say it was VERY hard to pass up that Tikka T3 Superlite for the same price at Sportsmans Warehouse. I figured I already have plenty of hunting rifles with sporter barrels and hunting stocks so for once I let the inner kid in me make the decision and chose cool/fun factor over function and have been happy with my decision so far.

Yes, it’s a 5R barrel. There is actual a Davidson’s exclusive now with a 24 or 26” barrel that is still 0.850 at the muzzle. In the Hunter stock.

To the OP, if you want to see what goodies you can buy and DIY stuff you can do to make the rifle even more enjoyable, hop on the “Ruger American” Facebook group if you have FB.

If you don’t have FB, a website called Anarchy Outdoors has a section of aftermarket goodies for the Ruger American

My personal favorites are:
Bolt handle/bolt knob from anarchy outdoors

Bolt fluting/microslick/firing pin back package deal from AD Arms Custom Rifles.

Timney trigger

I have the Talo version, 18” 6.5 Creedmoor, VG6 break, anarchy outdoors 30 moa rail, 1lb trigger spring, micro polished bolt,vortex matched rings, and a viper HST. It loves the 147gr eld match, going 2551fps. I’m very impressed with it. Sub moa at 100, and have repeatedly hit 800 and 900 yards. 935 has been the longest I can take it so far.

Attachments

• 35F7EE2B-CED6-461C-9E1C-C1537D4D48C2.jpeg
    35F7EE2B-CED6-461C-9E1C-C1537D4D48C2.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 508
Reactions: Backcountryguy
I actually bought one of these rifles. But it’s sitting at the moment until I can buy a scope. Glad to hear about the accuracy, and also the kid in me couldn’t resist.

Last edited:
I have the Talo version, 18” 6.5 Creedmoor, VG6 break, anarchy outdoors 30 moa rail, 1lb trigger spring, micro polished bolt,vortex matched rings, and a viper HST. It loves the 147gr eld match, going 2551fps. I’m very impressed with it. Sub moa at 100, and have repeatedly hit 800 and 900 yards. 935 has been the longest I can take it so far.

NICE! I haven't had a chance to shoot mine out that far but have shot dozens of 3 and 5 shot groups at 350 and 400 yards with everything being sub MOA. And thats shooting the Hornady Black 140 grain. IIRC out of 60-80 rounds (shot in 3 and 5 shot groups) I was something like 0.82 MOA with several groups under half MOA. That said, I would be willing to bet that its every bit of a half MOA rifle with custom loads and in the hands of a more experienced precision shooter.

Have you guys ran a comparison between the Hornady Match and Hornady Black through this rifle? I was shooting Match 140s for the first 100 rounds or so but due to availability and price I started shooting the Black 140s and I didnt see a huge difference in accuracy. Althoug, I didnt run any hard numbers to prove it as I am still getting used to the rifle and improving my accuracy from a operators techniques stand point.

All these groups were with Hornady Black 140s at 350 yards

Attachments

• Ruger American Hunter .jpg
    Ruger American Hunter .jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 20200209_163404.jpg
    20200209_163404.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 346
  • 20200209_163415.jpg
    20200209_163415.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200209_163431.jpg
    20200209_163431.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 318
My son has one of the original RAP in 6.5 and I got him a MagPul Hunter for $225 with some discount codes. He has shot 2-1/2" groups at 575 yards with Hornady American Whitetail. It shoots the old Prime really good, he has taken a few deer with the Prime. Getting ready to work up a load with some Hornady 140 BTHP I have laying around, Prime brass, and Rl16.
1-15-20 Phone Pics 1089.jpeg
1-15-20 Phone Pics 1091.jpeg

NICE! I haven't had a chance to shoot mine out that far but have shot dozens of 3 and 5 shot groups at 350 and 400 yards with everything being sub MOA. And thats shooting the Hornady Black 140 grain. IIRC out of 60-80 rounds (shot in 3 and 5 shot groups) I was something like 0.82 MOA with several groups under half MOA. That said, I would be willing to bet that its every bit of a half MOA rifle with custom loads and in the hands of a more experienced precision shooter.

Have you guys ran a comparison between the Hornady Match and Hornady Black through this rifle? I was shooting Match 140s for the first 100 rounds or so but due to availability and price I started shooting the Black 140s and I didnt see a huge difference in accuracy. Althoug, I didnt run any hard numbers to prove it as I am still getting used to the rifle and improving my accuracy from a operators techniques stand point.

All these groups were with Hornady Black 140s at 350 yards

In my standard Predator 6.5...there was not enough accuracy difference between 140 ELD-M and the Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP.....the ELD-M ran like $1.25/shot whereas the American Gunner 140gr BTHP ran $0.75/shot....so I ran the 140gr BTHP and had no issues with it out to 1,000 yards. The big difference between the two was the Extreme Spread in velocity, and the ELD-M definitely did better there. My regular range goes out to 700 yards, and I had no issues holding 4” or smaller groups at that distance with the BTHP.

Reactions: RCBorries
I have an RAP. I changed the stock to a B&C stock. Made it into a tack driver. I believe the Magpul stock factory installed fixes the only major flaw on the American rifles. Now we just need more pre fit barrels.

Reactions: wsaelee
I have an RAP. I changed the stock to a B&C stock. Made it into a tack driver. I believe the Magpul stock factory installed fixes the only major flaw on the American rifles. Now we just need more pre fit barrels.

Patriot Valley Arms, Preferred Barrel Blanks, and Shaw currently. Can have others made...but those are the only pre-fits I know of....I have a PVA currently on one, it’s a tack driver. Gonna use PBB on an upcoming project I think just to see how it compares

Patriot Valley Arms, Preferred Barrel Blanks, and Shaw currently. Can have others made...but those are the only pre-fits I know of....I have a PVA currently on one, it’s a tack driver. Gonna use PBB on an upcoming project I think just to see how it compares
I believe mcgowen will make yo a nut prefit as well. Im sure that bugholes would.

I've had great luck with rugers. I've owned many RAP and they all shot great. My current match gun is a hawkeye longrange in 6.5.. its a sweet, sweet shooting rifle. Groups just over 1/4" at 100 with 5 shots and right around 1/2" at 300.

Im ordering the hunter in 308 soon. Not sure if I want the 20" or the 22" Going to get it bedded, new bolt handle and change the trigger spring.

I’m also looking at getting one of these, and I think the 16.5” .308 would be a slick little hunting rifle with a Razor LHT on it.

4176DAB9-9A12-48AF-BEAE-E754A9B2BE66.jpeg

Reactions: CarbonMTN
I am late to the party but here is my 2 pennies.

I have a 20inch 6.5 C. American Hunter.
Using Federal brass,CCI450 and RL17 it shoots the 130GK at 2900ish into .5 to.7 inch groups at 100. This is a warm load I know. I may back of it a tad but it is within the published data.
Hornady 140 ELD-M at about 2700 into .7 to.8. I am still tweaking this load. One group had 3 in one hole but that was fluke I believe. I topped it with an Athlon Argos BTR 6x24 and changed the trigger spring out. If I had to guess it's about 2 pounds and pretty clean. 300 yards is the max I have shot so far. Still looking for an adequate range to get out at least double hopefully more.
My only compliant with it is the primer no matter what load shows mild cratering. Primers never show any pressure signs until they pop. Extraction has always been easy. So in a nutshell trying to read brass is really like reading tea leaves in this rifle. A chrony is a must to load for it.
So far I really like it for its use.

Attachments

• 20200724_145903.jpg
    20200724_145903.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200701_055844.jpg
    20200701_055844.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 259
I am late to the party but here is my 2 pennies.

I have a 20inch 6.5 C. American Hunter.
Using Federal brass,CCI450 and RL17 it shoots the 130GK at 2900ish into .5 to.7 inch groups at 100. This is a warm load I know. I may back of it a tad but it is within the published data.
Hornady 140 ELD-M at about 2700 into .7 to.8. I am still tweaking this load. One group had 3 in one hole but that was fluke I believe. I topped it with an Athlon Argos BTR 6x24 and changed the trigger spring out. If I had to guess it's about 2 pounds and pretty clean. 300 yards is the max I have shot so far. Still looking for an adequate range to get out at least double hopefully more.
My only compliant with it is the primer no matter what load shows mild cratering. Primers never show any pressure signs until they pop. Extraction has always been easy. So in a nutshell trying to read brass is really like reading tea leaves in this rifle. A chrony is a must to load for it.
So far I really like it for its use.

Send your bolt off to AD Arms Custom rifles to get it bushed If you want to fix the primer cratering issue. If you want, he also does fluting, microslick(black protective coating), and he made a new(stronger) firing pin back that reduces the force required to recock the bolt by 1 pound