• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger american long range

Chance79

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2020
im having a problem getting my rifle to group now it has been grouping tight at 50 yards almost the same hole. i put my suppressor on and still almost same hole but when i cleaned the rifle its shooting like crap now even after 50 rounds i have tried eley,cci ect its not the ammo any idea what it could be?even without the suppressor its shooting all over. i use 40x cleaner to clean the barrel with. same as all the rest of my rifles and never had this problem

im having a problem getting my rifle to group now it has been grouping tight at 50 yards almost the same hole. i put my suppressor on and still almost same hole but when i cleaned the rifle its shooting like crap now even after 50 rounds i have tried eley,cci ect its not the ammo any idea what it could be?even without the suppressor its shooting all over. i use 40x cleaner to clean the barrel with. same as all the rest of my rifles and never had this problem
If you do a less than super thorough cleaning job it could take up to 300 rounds to settle. I had that happen the first time I cleaned it quickly. Then next time I did a multi process clean and let the boretech rimfire blend sit and soak for 15 min and it settled back within 20 rounds.

How did you clean it? Brush the bore and chamber? Factory barrels aren't as smooth inside so they take longer to lead and settle down. Is this a switch barrel set up? Maybe barrel is loose or something like that.

I would like to know more about cleaning also. ATM i just run hopp9s through my barrels, let it sit for 10 minute and run couple patches through until all the patches are white. Then i do that step 1 more time.

How did you clean it? Brush the bore and chamber? Factory barrels aren't as smooth inside so they take longer to lead and settle down. Is this a switch barrel set up? Maybe barrel is loose or something like that.
Its a factory barrel with probably 500 rounds or so through it. And i used 40x bore cleaner let it soak for probably 10 min then brushed real good and then run patches til they were still white

Keep us updated , I’m interested I one of these rifles

Chance,
I've had a similar thing happen with a RF.
I'm new here , but I'll jump right in & share an experience. I had an Anschutz target model with a 36 power scope that was "competitive" for a factory rifle.
I decided to clean the barrel just like my centerfires. Soaked patches, brush, patches, etc. Afterward, the rifle took nearly a box of same ammo to break back in, before it would shoot as good as it did. Re-coating the bore with the lube of the ammo I was shooting, i suspected & have been told as well.
I tried it again later w/same results. I quit brushing or aggressively cleaning after that.
My rifle didn't like it, yours may not as well.

Update on my ruger its shooting hole in hole now with or without suppressor i loosened the action screws to 15 lbs on the front and 13 on the back at the trigger they were around 25lbs. Couldn't believe it made that much difference thanks everyone for the tips though

Update on my ruger its shooting hole in hole now with or without suppressor i loosened the action screws to 15 lbs on the front and 13 on the back at the trigger they were around 25lbs. Couldn't believe it made that much difference thanks everyone for the tips though

Thought it was shooting great before you cleaned. Then it shot terrible. Between the time it shot well and the time it shot terrible, did you tighten the screws in addition to cleaning it? Amazing how picky this caliber can be.

I just put a Ruger American chambered in 22lr into an MDT LSS-RF chassis and am having some weirdness with the groups. I have my action screws at 40 inch-pounds, I will try to loosen them and let you all know if I have similar results.