• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger American Predator Bolt Issue

Jonathan_T

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2017
I took my new, and cleaned, RAP 6.5 creedmoor to the range yesterday for the fist time and experienced a handful of issues when cycling the bolt. First of which, with the bolt closed and the mag full, the bolt would get stuck when pulling back to put a round into the chamber, scaring the brass. To relieve the issue I usually had to slam the bolt back after pushing it forward again. Second, when chambering the round, it would not feed properly aligned 25% of the time, not allowing the bolt to close. Lastly, after firing one of the last of 40 rounds, the bolt jammed, not allowing me to cycle the fired round out. I was finally able to break it free with a substantial amount of force on the bolt.---My immediate thought was a headspace issue but after measuring the Hornady Black factory rounds, this was not the case. In addition the extractor would only work properly about 50-75% of the time. I have uploaded videos yo youtube trying to capture these issues the best I could (links below). Also I have a picture of the all the brass shavings in the chamber and a picture of the bolt included, there is a small divot where the tapper on the bolt groove begins to increase. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Do your all's bolts look the same? Any opinions about the issues? I plan on calling Ruger on Monday, but looking to see what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

Problem 1:
Problem 2:

Attachments

• IMG_2941.jpg
    IMG_2941.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 150
Check the screws of your picatinny rail they could be too long. Looks like the bolt is dragging.
Check the action screws also maybe too long also.
What happens when no bullets or mag(if it has a mag) is removed. Is there any drag as shown.
What happens when barreled action without scope rail and mag and action is cycled.

Last edited:
I just had my Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor AI at the range yesterday and had a few feeding issues. I just looked at my rifle to see if the scope base or action screws were causing the problem. Mine were fine. Cycling the bolt I did notice that if I was applying pressure upward when moving the bolt forward it would hang. If I let the handle drop or had a slight downward pressure it would close fine. I think the problem lies with the upper clearance cuts for the bolt face. With the bolt held with upward pressure it runs into the edge of where those recesses are cut and the bolt stops.

I also had magazine feeding issues where I had to pull the bolt back slightly then the round would drop and align with the chamber and I could close the bolt on it. With the info I just discovered about the bolt hitting the edge of the top cutouts I tried chambering rounds out of magazine with no upward pressure on the bolt handle. To my surprise every round chambered just fine.

I think I'm going to try putting some form of marking agent on the bolt face and upper inside of the receiver to see exactly where and how much things are catching. But also know this I'm going to try and remember not to put any upward pressure on the bolt handle when closing it.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Jonathan_T
I just did some more checking and the problem although connected to the bolt face and receiver interference issue may not be.

Bolt Machining.jpg

It may be hard to see in the photo but where the bolt release slot transitions the slot widens. Were you see a circular cut at the bottom of the slot just left of center, that slot lines up perfectly with the bolt lugs. The area to the right which is tapered is wider than the main slot. As the bolt is closing it runs fine along the main slot until it reaches this transition. When the bolt release moves into this area it lets the bolt handle and body move upward. In doing this it causes the bolt face to hit the edge of the bolt face recess cuts in the receiver and brings everything to an abrupt hault!

It may be time to contact Ruger about this issue!

I followed up and taped a shim (about 0.010" including the double sided tape) in the recess closest to the bolt knob. When I cycled the bolt it no longer would jamb and closed fully without interference. I sent this information to Ruger so now waiting to hear back.

I did contact Ruger about the bolt cycling issue with my rifle and are having UPS pick it up so they can take a look at it. I'll update you once I learn more.

I received a response back from Ruger and they would like to look at the rifle. It's boxed up and waiting for UPS to pick it up.

I returned the rifle to Ruger last week and just got notification that they sent it back. I called to inquire on what the problem was, the lady only could tell me that they replaced the barrel, but did not know anything more.

I don't know how the barrel has anything to do with bolt. The last thing I want is for them to change my barrel after how mine is shooting. Less than 20 rounds fired but this is my best so far.

147 Best Group.jpg

I ran across something in another thread that may explain why Ruger removed/replaced your barrel. See post #10 in this thread. If Ruger also uses this ring arrangement that means the ring could have been slightly misaligned and needed to be reset. Just a guess at this point.

So were your issues resolved?
I haven't had the chance to putty rounds through it yet, I hope to by next weekend. It appears to feed better but not sold on the fix yet. I'll let you know when I get around to taking it to the range.

So I just got a call from Ruger about my rifle. The lady on the phone said they were offering me a replacement. When I tried to find out why I was basically told that Ruger would not disclose any information about what they found wrong with my rifle. When I mentioned that I sent it in for what I believed was a machining issue which threw off the bolt timing she said Ruger never replaces bolts. So I have a new rifle on the way to the shop I bought my original rifle from. The pain is not going to pick it up when it gets here but having to pay additional fees to process it because of a different serial number.

My limited time with the original rifle showed it could shoot, now I will have to find out if the replacement can do as well.

Took my rifle out saturday, shot less than a half moa at 100 with factory hornady ammo, and shot very well with some rounds a quickly loaded before going out, so i guess problem solved. Not happy with Ruger not sharing what the issue is, I don't know what they have to hide but it most have been a problem with the lugs on the bolt aligning with the chamber. Ruger did send an extra mag with the rifle i guess as a way of compensating for the issue, but the mag turned out to not feed right so i guess I'll be calling again. Happy with the rifle overall though.

I bought my son the same rifle for his 12th bday. I only had it at the range 4 times but have had the same issues. The casings don’t eject properly and end up in the receiver. Just out of the box, the bolt had a burr on it I had to file down, and while I knew what I was getting ($240 rifle) I was disappointed in the craftsmanship compared to my 700 bdl. Hopefully ruger will rectify it.