• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Predator now in 6.5 Grendel

10APOKS

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
Olathe, KS
Just saw this on Ruger's website.
RugerAP65.JPG

I'd been looking at the Howa Mini action for a while now, but never committed due to their proprietary mag (limited to 5rds) and lack of threaded barrel from the factory. Looks like the Ruger's running AR style Grendel mags. Hopefully they didn't change the bottom "metal" footprint for this one and it'll fit in the aftermarket options out there.
Any chance someone here's got one yet?

I just picked one up for a low recoil training rifle that could also be used on deer etc. if needed.

Still working on load development though so can't really comment too much on accuracy. Last time out everything was hovering just over MOA at 100. But, it seems like a pretty decent rifle for the price to features ratio. Bolt and stock leave some things to be desired but once again not terrible for the price. Looking forward to finding a load it likes and running a ton of rounds through it though.

If there are any specific questions I could help with let me know.

I just picked one up for a low recoil training rifle that could also be used on deer etc. if needed.

Still working on load development though so can't really comment too much on accuracy. Last time out everything was hovering just over MOA at 100. But, it seems like a pretty decent rifle for the price to features ratio. Bolt and stock leave some things to be desired but once again not terrible for the price. Looking forward to finding a load it likes and running a ton of rounds through it though.

I'm guessing extraction and ejection is fine because that seems to be a strong point with these rifles but how does it feed out of those AR Grendel mags?

I'm curious about the bottom metal on this (if it's even metal). For low cost aftermarket stock options the Boyd's offerings piqued my interest, but I wasn't sure if the bottom metal pattern was the same as the other american predators, or if some additional fitting or inletting would be required.

During your testing were you using factory offerings or were handloads in play as well?

I'm guessing extraction and ejection is fine because that seems to be a strong point with these rifles but how does it feed out of those AR Grendel mags?

Yep, ejection and extraction were both great. Fed every single round just fine too, even though it's not the smoothest feed ever.

Reactions: steve123
I'm curious about the bottom metal on this (if it's even metal). For low cost aftermarket stock options the Boyd's offerings piqued my interest, but I wasn't sure if the bottom metal pattern was the same as the other american predators, or if some additional fitting or inletting would be required.

During your testing were you using factory offerings or were handloads in play as well?

I do not have an original Predator to compare to but just judging by online pics of the original I don't think the new system will work without a bit of fitting. Regardless, here are some measurements and pictures of it.

So:
Front to back of Bottom Metal (actually hard polymer) = 5.14 inches
Side to side = 1.46 inches
Recessed height at front = .56 inches
Recessed height at back = .80 inches

5gHP86h.jpg

nz3Bxnb.jpg
GeuRoIL.jpg

pVAEd2N.jpg

Reactions: spife7980

And yeah, just handloads. 123 SST's over 32.0 grains of CFE223 yielded the best results at about .8ish (iirc) MOA, will be playing with some seating depths around that charge weight next time out.