• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger American Rebarrel (similar to Savage w/barrel nut)

Yellowhammer

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2018
North Alabama
I’ve tinkered with guns for a few years, but first time doing a bolt action rebarrel.

I’ve got a Ruger American barrel I had made. I’ve got the receiver, barrel, barrel nut & wrench, go/no-go, grease, torque wrench, and viper barrel vise. However, I don’t have a ruger action wrench.

Am I good to use just the barrel vise while tightening the barrel nut? I believe it calls for 65-80 ft lbs.

Also, I’m assuming ejector and/or extractor need to come off for proper headspacing?

Any tips appreciated

No, go to Anarchy Outdoors and buy the $65 stainless steel action wrench. Worth every penny.

Reactions: Adam B and Modoc
I just recently rebarreled a Ruger American. The barrel nut is 40-60 foot pounds. I suggest buying a Ruger American barrel nut from X-Caliber, it has flats on it to allow a crows foot to tighten it

Reactions: hseII
the Ruger American has flats milled on both sides of the action. I just pulled a barrel today and all it needed was taped down the sides to keep from marring, clamp in a vise with aluminum or other softer jaws. The barrel comes off easily with very little torque applied to the barrel wrench.

Reactions: hseII