• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger American Rimfire as Single Shot?

VTSEAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Southeastern PA
Question for anyone that has a Ruger American Rimfire:
Have you tried to use the rifle as a single shot?

The manual states that you can hand feed with no magazine in place. I wanted to get some feedback to make sure that is easier to do than on the 10/22. It seems much easier due to the larger bolt/ejection port.

Reason for the question: We have some kids participating in a youth league which requires that the firearm must be capable of loading only a single round at a time. Multiple round magazines are prohibited. I am familiar with the BX-1-1 single round magazine that Ruger makes for the 10/22; but would prefer to save the kids the hassle of loading a single round in to the mag, loading the mag, firing, ejecting, dropping mag, repeat. Hand loading a single cartridge would be much simpler as long as it loads cleanly.

I am interested in picking up one of these rifles for several uses, and the youth shooting league is only one - no interest in buying an actual single shot .22. I really like the compatibility with 10/22 mags when not being used for the youth league; and the tang safety and double sided palm swell makes it ambidextrous for left-handed kids.

Because the rifle is a bolt action, there is a lot more room to hand feed a round into the chamber than there is in the 10/22. I remember hand feeding my 10/22 as a kid, but I don't remember why I did it... That being said, I have a feeling that guiding rounds into the chamber will be an exercise in frustration for new and young shooters. Personally, I would want some sort of mag block to form a floor mag well. I wonder if a 1 round mag would work in this capacity... Probably not. Too bad you are not interested in a true single shot. They are made for what you intend, and some very fine shooters are made explicitly with the dimensions of young shooters in mind. If it were me, I would get in touch with my inner wood worker and create a few mag blocks so that the kids only need to drop a cartridge in the open breech (and directly into the chamber). Then again, I already have a fine single shot 22 rifle.