• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American ( the new 700)?

raythemanroe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
NY
I have been looking at the Ruger American To replace my heavy barrel gun for hunting..While looking at the gun from skeptical eyes I have found my self thinking that Ruger may have designed it for thought into the shooting sports type person in mind..Now I know every Remington person is gonna say hell no but I'm looking at the action and seeing dual cocking cams with three lug bolt and a round receiver that has pretty good looking power bedding grooves..I wonder if they made it so a Remington trigger would work? I would try to put a recoil lug and glass bed the power bedding spots on the receiver but I wonder how close is it from fitting in a Remington type stock? Just food for thought.. You could buy the gun cheaper then a Remington action would cost!!

Re: Ruger American ( the new 700)?

Guess I am one of those 'Remington' guys.

Looks more like a three lug Savage than a Remington...

Who wants to try and build on one?

I build it's only available in a Long Action length.

I guess it would be because you can buy the gun at Walmart for $350 I can't pick up a Remington action for that..

lol agreed. It seems Ruger is miffed about losing market to their original audience: purveyors of affordable firearms, so they made a cheap rifle to sell alongside the Remington 7, Savage Axis/Edge, and Stevens 200 and other such cheapo rifles.

The only rifles I can think of that come close to giving a Remington 700 fits are rifles we already know about: Savage 10, Winchester 70, FN SPR (or even the TSR XP).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol agreed. It seems Ruger is miffed about losing market to their original audience: purveyors of affordable firearms, so they made a cheap rifle to sell alongside the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Remington 7</span><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #990000">710/770</span></span>, Savage Axis/Edge, and Stevens 200 and other such cheapo rifles.</div></div>

Fixed it for you. The Rem Model Seven is not a cheapo rifle. Its a compact 700.

I honestly think its like a cheapened version of a Tikka.

In other news, its ironic they put the "Ruger American Rifle" in front an upside down Frenchie French FlAG for the photo-op.
wink.gif

American1.jpg

The point is that it is cheap, but in my opinion it is a solid receiver specially compared to the investment casting of the m77..I cold see better versions to come.

Howdy y'all! I have been eyeballing these since they came out but haven't taken the plunge, until now. Today I picked one up in .270 (only one in stock) to answer some of the above hypotheticals. I pulled the action from the stock and checked the action screw spacing,4.563". This is very slightly longer than LA Savage actions. I checked it in a SA Savage stock I had on hand, if it didnt have the tang safety extension on the trigger housing it would drop in nicely. The rear action hole looks like it should line up, though of course the front screw hole in the stock would need adjustment.

The trigger is very nicely made and quite good. It has an extension to the rear that carries the tang safety slider. Some slight milling would be required in a stock to accommodate it, though I intend to modify it to project into the trigger guard like some Jewel units. It appears that a LA, round back Savage one piece rail would work though I'm just theorizing.

I pulled the barrel with very little effort, and was pleasantly surprised. The threads are 1"-16tpi, just like a Tikka T3........hmmmm. The breech face is non recessed so used or after market 700 barrels can be easily adapted. The approximate tenon length ( I moved the barrel nut before I thought to check) is .687. Adding a 700 style recoil lug will be easy, the action even has an index cut for the pin. The bolt is very smooth and nicely machined. Also of interest the bolt shroud is plastic and removes identically to a Tikka T3.

My plan is to order a LA Savage B&C tactical stock, use a 700 recoil lug and fit a used 18" 5R 700 barrel to the action. For this experiment I will do no truing and use the action as is. If I'm happy with the results I'll pick up another and go full tilt boogie on it. I'll keep y'all updated as I progress.

I would like to know how it works out:) Good info.

It has Ruger stamped on it, so that's about all I need to know.

My plan is to order a LA Savage B&C tactical stock, use a 700 recoil lug and fit a used 18" 5R 700 barrel to the action. For this experiment I will do no truing and use the action as is. If I'm happy with the results I'll pick up another and go full tilt boogie on it. I'll keep y'all updated as I progress.

Good day all! Any news on this project Sir? I just bought my own Ruger American Rifle in 270 and I'm quite please with the rifle! I had to lap the stock a bit to prevent the barrel from touching the front end of it. Now that its lap, I have room for a much heavier barrel... Which seems to be the #1 upgrade do go with. Accuracy is already good (.75 Moa) 3 shot group with Cor lokt premiums.. can't wait to try the HSM Berger 150gr..!

I've examined both the Ruger Americam and the Thompson Center Venture. I'll take the Venture for another $100. because of its much more solid feel.

BUT the American is well designed and "New School" (for U. S manufacurers) with its 3 locking lugs, hammer forged barrel, magazine, and aluminum V bedding blocks.
And the American is quite accurate fom the published tests.

Yeah, I have a 12 year old Browning A-Bolt with 3 locking lugs and a magazine but I sure didn't pay a Ruger American price for it. Wish I could have.

There selling tactical knob replacements on Ebay now!! I replaced my Bushnell with a Burris 4.5-14 and removed the portion of the stock that is pressing the barrel and I see all Ruger Americans have that problem ... Shoots 1inch 5 shot groups pretty consistently with reloads!!!

I have mine nearly done with the 18" 5r barrel and a 700 style recoil lug. I will post pick tommorrow.

Any updates? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I got all the parts for a 6.5cm except the rifle.

Hey guys... Went shooting today... Got very nice results! 3shots group of 5 inches at 695 yrds ... Was shooting factory loads.. Hsm berger vld 150gr... Love the ammo... But they are loaded hot! 150gr @ 3000+ fps in .270 win:D

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

In other news, its ironic they put the "Ruger American Rifle" in front an upside down Frenchie French FlAG for the photo-op.
wink.gif

American1.jpg

Actually, the real photo looked like this, with the correct flag, and the rifle being photographed as it was being dropped to the ground:

9012150907_f79ff65dfb_o.jpg

(No, I didn't think of that myself, sadly.)

Sorry it will never be a 700. Ruger is well known for making utility grade guns that work well and are affordable. For the average plinker that's enough. That is about as far as they gp.

My aunt bought a Remington plastic stocked 700 in 243 with 6 boxes of Winchester ammo and gotta tell ya we are both using the same scopes (Burris 4.5-14) and the Ruger has performed better every time out! I'm not saying the Remington isn't a better platform but the Remington quality isn't any less utility grade then Ruger!

I gotta go along this ^... When i shoot with my friend, i always get tighter groups than him with his brand new 700 in 300win mag.. But the story change when he bring his 1976 700 in 22-250.... that thing group 1/2 moa all day long with shelf ammo... :cool:

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

We have a few of these out at the ranch as visitor rifles. They shoot very good, the one in 6.5 Creedmoor is a hammer, chronically short of 6.5CM ammo due partially to this rifle!

I got one as a long term project. I used the front screw hole to bolt it to an aics chassis. With the feed lips modified and the mag inserted aprox .1 inches less deep it feeds like a dream. It will need a .1 inch spacer behind a traditional Remington style recoil lug. The rear tang can be drilled and tapped, but the screw hole will need to be moved about 3/16 inch rearward. This would be easy with a virgin McMillan stock. You would need to modify a dbm system. This could easily be accomplished if you could weld aluminum, or you could buy a steel Lumley arms dbm and weld an extension to the rear of it. Also, with the tang safety cut off the trigger drops right down into the aics. Like I said its a long term project but will keep everyone posted.

Another option is to weld up the existing bedding blocks into a one off mini chassis that can be fitted into an unfinished McMillan.

It is reminiscent of a Tikka but it has 3 lugs which is nice although 70 degrees of bolt throw which is only 5 less than the Tikka even though the Tikka only has 2 lugs. However the Tang safety and the "V" lug surfaces will keep it from ever being used widespread for custom builds like a 700 in my opinion. It doesn't appear that it's going to be able to be fitted into many if any of the existing chassis or even conventional stocks on the market. Maybe one of the fiberglass stocks has the right angle for that safety. I don't know that we would do a chassis that involved asking customers to cut the safety off the rifle but maybe they'll change it up slightly. It's really only a little ways from being a really viable base for a build. It's the same diameter as the R 700, it just needs a safety and an action screw hole in the rear, assuming the magwell is large enough for an AICS mag. The weird recoil lug can be fixed as JW noted above. Oh well, we still have T3's, R700's, and a host of custom actions.
Justin

Funny you mentioned it Massoud. I had just finished looking at the KRG whiskey chassis to see what it would take to function correctly. Agreed that cutting the safety off is a deal breaker for most. I'm looking at modified r700 triggers right now as I have a few extras. Like I said, if there were a .1 inch thick spacer between the front of the aics mag and the bottom of the receiver (along with shortening the feed lip length on the mags aprox3/16 inch) then it feeds like a great from the aics chassis and badger dbms. You would also have to take .1 off the mag catch lever. Like you said there are plenty of other actions out there, but I don't want to give up on this one yet.

I would try to remove and throw away the stock trigger and safety and try to retro fit a Remington type trigger..watched a video on Bergara barrels and they have a 700 barrel and lug while using a barrel nut...Thought that would be a good idea and bedding the V lugs shouldn't be that hard... I would like to see a better stock first...

You guys sure do want to do a lot of work to this Ruger to make it into something it isn't.

Ruger American -a good rifle. Feels "inexpensive" but shoots well.

Tikka - a better rifle.

Weatherby Vanguard - another better rifle.

Thompson Center Venture - GREAT rifle!

For accuracy, good trigger and fast bolt cycling I prefer the TC Venture. So much quality for the money.

It is a hunting rifle nothing more. The money you put in it, past your initial investment, is lost forever.

And just like that, another cult of fanboys is formed.

A strait round action with dual cocking cams and three locking lugs $350 premium barrel $340 a McMillan flat top Edge $350

A strait round action with dual cocking cams and three locking lugs $350 premium barrel $340 a McMillan flat top Edge $350

I stand corrected I did not know the only cost involved in building a great rifle was just the action, barrel, and the stock. Inletting that flat top should be really cheap, probably do that with a Dremel. Putting a barrel on right is simple too, anyone with a little know how can do that.

$1040 invested. Resale value of said rifle built by a hack: $500...maybe.

I have had 5 custom guns built and a 6th in the works. There is far more to it than a few parts cobbled together. It is like building a house(yeah I built my own without any contractors) figure your materials to a tee then add 20-50%

Agreed with tylerw02 more reminiscent of a tikka action. My last budget build was a Howa 1500 but, I think this RAR will make a better all rounder being a flat sided action and I am a fan of the v bed dual recoil lug concept. Hammer forged barrel like a SPR. Just hoping they make something other than a #2 contour and start getting more fluent round choices near the 5.2-6.5mm'ers. have to many .308's to justify buying another. Id like to see that .204 Ruger in this. for me as far as Americana actions its this action or the T/C icon at the top of the list currently. like that warlord they had for a bit if chambered in .30 T/c i would not have hesitated at all to pick it up.

uh late to this paety but wrong

lol agreed. It seems Ruger is miffed about losing market to their original audience: purveyors of affordable firearms, so they made a cheap rifle to sell alongside the Remington 7, Savage Axis/Edge, and andStevens 200 and other such cheapo rifles.

The only rifles I can think of that come close to giving a Remington 700 fits are rifles we already know: Savage 10, Winchester 70, FN SPR (or even the TSR XP).

Yes Ruger had to come up with something to compete with rising production cost of their mainline of rifles because they refuse to compromise on quality like others such as the big green. Remington at one time made a great product owned several myself but you could not give me one of their latest production rifles or pistols. I bought a Rem. 1911 R1 thought it would be neat to have it match my 03-a3.....JUNK....outshot by a $175.00 FEG P9M! Bought my sons two their first deer rifles a couple months ago one chose the Ruger American the other chose a twice the price Remington both in same caliber. After trying several of my best reloads on the Remington and numerous factory load combinations the Ruger shamed the Remington by shooting .5" (consistently) groups compared to the best Remington group of 1.5". They are not the same company since being bought out by Freedom Group or whichever corporation but the general public is unaware of this and continues to ride on the coat tails of yesteryear and granddad's dad's trusty ole 700 which were fine rifles. While I'm on my soap box everyone believes that military and law enforcement choose Remington 700 actions b/c they are the best combination for their shooters but this is not so. Nope just best priced and easiest for department or unit armorers to work with and obtain parts and trust me from a military standpoint these are far from the rifle that leaves the factory. I know this b/c I spent 23 years with the Army working in the Special Ops community (1SOCOM now called USACOM I believe) and dealt with many similar experiences and love it when some won't have something b/c it's not labeled "mil spec" the jokes on them just remember lowest bid is part of that mil spec. and usually the biggest part! Ok shutting up and I really do mean no offense just as an insider I want to open peoples eyes and let them know inexpensive doesn't mean cheap especially with todays precise manufacturing methods.

Last edited:
I doubt it will seriously compete with the R700... Ruger is a company that has come up with great innovative ideas, but has always been hampered by poor quality control.

I have a Ruger American and it shoots MOA consistently at 100y. I bought this for my boys first rifle to deer hunt with for roughly $370 plus a Burris 4.5-14x. I got to tell you I can't find a Remington for close to the cost that out shoots it..

Ray

I got one as a long term project. I used the front screw hole to bolt it to an aics chassis. With the feed lips modified and the mag inserted aprox .1 inches less deep it feeds like a dream. It will need a .1 inch spacer behind a traditional Remington style recoil lug. The rear tang can be drilled and tapped, but the screw hole will need to be moved about 3/16 inch rearward. This would be easy with a virgin McMillan stock. You would need to modify a dbm system. This could easily be accomplished if you could weld aluminum, or you could buy a steel Lumley arms dbm and weld an extension to the rear of it. Also, with the tang safety cut off the trigger drops right down into the aics. Like I said its a long term project but will keep everyone posted.

How close to the 700 footprint is the Rem 783 for this type of project? Thought is to use the 783 action in a chassis system. Down the road home barrel change with the barrel nut?

Most of you may be too young to know about this, but I still haven't forgiven Ruger for proposing the normal ("high") capacity magazine ban in the '80s. That was, IMO, unforgivable.

Last edited:
Bill's no longer among us, they're producing ARs and normal capacity magazines now, might be time to let it go. Though it'll be a while before I can trust GM again, so I can see where you're coming from M40A1.

Last edited: