• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger blackhawk 44, good idea?

Re: Ruger blackhawk 44, good idea?

You can always shoot 44 special if you don't like the recoil.

Well that 3 3/4" bbl on the one in the link ain't gonna be no babycakes. I have several OM Ruger Blackhawk Flattops in 44mag. They have the XR-3 grip frame, and they buck quite a bit with full throttle loads. Except for protection in bear country I don't know why you would want a short bbled 44 mag, they sure ain't gonna be fun to shoot! krw

i recently bought one for bear medicine and it tears up my right hand with max hard cast loads

i have to grip it weird to keep my middle finger from jamming into the trigger guard

i'll eventually try pachmaer grips to lessen the pain

so yes it is a butt kicker recoil wise

i load 7 ish grains of unique and a 240 grain bullet and it makes a great lite 44 load. for hunting i use a 250 gr keith bullet and 21 grains of 2400 recoil is less than pleasurable

You wont notice the recoil when a bear is trying to eat you. I got into a mess of hogs once when i was a kid and fired all six shots without noticing.

I shot one for many years, but got tired of single loading and got a Super Redhawk for hunting back in my salad years. I had to buy 3 different guns until the 4th would shoot as tight a group as I would like. Got out of backpack hunting when I reached 50 years or so and sold it. Now have a .45 LC Blackhawk which will produce .44 Maggie ballistics without a whimper. 4 5/8" barrel. I use it as a trailing arm in the case of a deer limping off into the brush. (Scoped rifles are hard to shoot well at 20 to 30 yards) The 250 Keith bullet cast hard works wonders. Last year I had to follow a buck into the brush...my fault, the deer went left and the muzzle wavered right...hit him hard from the front in the left chest/shoulder but not immediately fatal. I had to follow him up through the woods...at about 30 yards I got a slanting forward shot at the right posterior rib cage and put the Keith through it. DRT. The Blackhawk works and will withstand all you can. Aloreman is correct. But...you never feel recoil in the woods. JMHO

I would love to have a smith and wesson model 25 classic. 45 long colt is all I have now.
smile.gif

Ive got a blackhawk 4" in .357 now and love it but its such a huge step to .44.

The 44 is such a versatile cartridge, I wouldn't worry about it. As noted, you can always practice and plink with 44 special loads. I prefer a longer barrel, and you might consider a ported barrel, but my 14-year old sons and my 110-pound wife love to shoot my Taurus Raging Bull, and they prefer hotter loads to light ones. The grip itself (something resilient) and how the grip fits your hand is important, so try them on first. Whether it is completely destroying gallon jugs of water at 10 yards or hitting them at 290 yards or lobbing rounds into a pond at 300 yards we really enjoy that handgun.

I shoot both my 4 5/8in and 10 1/2in 44 magnum Ruger SBHs with full power h110 loads and both are easy on recoil due to the "Ruger roll".

I've had a .44 mag 7 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk going on 18 years now. I put the Hogue monogrip on it and lowered the felt recoil. It's minute-of-deer accurate for me with Winchester 250 gr Platinum Tip ammo.

You looking for target or hunting use?

Just target use maybe a second gun to pack while hunting but mostly a shooter

The recoil really isn't that bad, I guess due to the barrel length and weight. Great guns, IMO.

I too don't thnik the recoil is that bad. I have 2 or 3 at all times and say go get one, great guns!

Just see if you can find one with the Ruger Bisley grip or buy that grip frame and put it on. The Ruger Bisley grip frame is the best shape available on a single action revolver for taming recoil, period. I shoot "+P" 45 Colt loads from my Bisley Vaquero and they are quite pleasant, considering they're dishing out a little over 1,000 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

Oh, and as for the short barrel and recoil...a weird thing happens with short barreled magnums. Recoil does increase, due to the lighter gun, but the inertia is much less due to the lighter barrel. The recoil impulse is sharp, but it's over quickly. You don't have to work as hard at slowing down a heavy barrel that wants to continue upward after firing. One of the most objectionable things about the shorter barrels is muzzle blast. It is <span style="font-style: italic">much</span> worse, and I've found this to cause some folks to complain that snubbies are "almost uncontrollable". Put good plugs <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> muffs on these same shooters and all of a sudden, the short pipes are only a little worse than the long barreled version of the same gun.

Depends on what your used to shooting. I shot revolvers here and there but mostly auto's.
Picked up a New Model Super Blackhawk (6" in 44mag)here on a trade. Great gun great shape but NOT for me. Couldnt get used to the grip angle especially in 44Mag.
Had all the dies/bullets/brass though...SO I traded the Ruger and got a 6" Smith 629. I love it! Accurate, recoil isn't bad, easy to find accessories and lots of fun to shoot and load for!!

Mnhntr, that was actually whaat I was looking for and wondering about. I've been shooting a .357 Blackhawk for a couple years and with hotter loads there is no punch at all. "ruger roll" is the best way to describe it. Good phrase

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mnhntr, that was actually whaat I was looking for and wondering about. I've been shooting a .357 Blackhawk for a couple years and with hotter loads there is no punch at all. "ruger roll" is the best way to describe it. Good phrase</div></div>
Thanks I coined it myself. Maybe I need to get it licensed like Paris Hilton and "thats hot".

I have a 4" super blackhawk in 44 mag, it is controllable. I also have a Ruger Alaskan Guide in 454, and MUCH prefer the 44 mag.

And, as said before, if a bear is charging, recoil won't be on your mind.

If it is purely for range shooting, why leave the 357?

Anyone want an Alaskan Guide in 454?

I shoot a 8 3/8" s&w model 29 in IDPA competetion at my local club every once in a while with full power loads...its really not that bad...although i have found a real bunny fart of a load...6.2gr clays under a LSWC seated to max length and full crimp...works wonders for speed

Bunny fart... hahahaha

Okay, I said f*&k it and went and picked it up. Love the gun, TALO special. Took it to the range, .44 special loads feel like a .357 in it. Light .44 magnum 240gr were very easy to control. "Ruger roll" kicked in and reduced any punch to the palm. I'll start the load development for it. Good gun, and thank you everyone for kick starting my large magnum career.

You always can install a giant ugly ass grip if you get fatigued by heavy HP rounds.

sblackhawk.jpg

Congrats on your new 44! That TALO special looks really neat.

I've had my SBH for 35 years now, my first handgun I bought for myself at the ripe old age of 16. Started as 7.5", but had it cut down to 4 5/8" along the way.

I like the big fat Hogue grip for hot-loaded 320gr Cast, but the standard grip panels are a lot easier on the eyes.....grin.

IMG_1988.jpg

Img_3479.jpg

Nice Super Blackhawks guys, I had so much fun yesterday I went back last night and shot it again. My hand is sore now but can't stop grinning.

Nice gun, and welcome to the world of large bore magnums! Personally I love them, the harder they kick, the bigger the grin is on my face! But I'm sorta weird like that.

Nice pick up on that talo special.. I have had a hankering for a 4-5/8" unfluted ss super blackhawk for months.. I picked up a flat top 44spl a few months ago used for 360$, it is great fun to shoot. I also have a 50th anniversary 44mag blachawk.
2012-03-01_20-21-38_377.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

Nice set! I Am going to start loading for mine tomorrow, any favorite loads for that 4 5/8?

A couple loads I like in mine,

9.0 gr Unique, 240gr cast, 1000 fps

20.5gr H110, 320gr WFNGC, 1250 fps

24.5g H110 (same as Win 296) under 240g Hornady XTP.
gives me ~1400 fps from a 4 5/8 Ruger.

very accurate round. It does have some recoil and noise. I actually shot this load so much it split the forcing cone on my SBH. (Ruger replaced the gun after going rounds with them.) point is: it's a Ruger, it's tough...but not indestructible.

If you shoot lead everything will last longer.

Don't think it's uncool to shoot less than full-house rounds from that gun. People who know say a 240g swc lead bullet at 1100 fps will do the trick on anything you need to worry about. So don't be afraid to practice a lot with lighter loads...it's good for your brain.

10 grains of Unique with a 240g swc is KNOWN by everyone to be a very accurate and comfortable load. est: 1,100 fps.

Good luck and congrats.

Would NEVER endorse a single-action if bear defense (or any defense purpose) was on the table...

I shoot a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag and a Dan Wesson .44 Mag. Recoil for the .44 mag is not bad. I would say that the Blackhawk shouldn't be much of an issue and they are tough, well built wheel guns. You could handload and lighten the loads slightly if it was an issue.